Bring back Ask a Woman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back Ask a Woman?

I searched for something on the site today and was reminded of the Ask a Woman posts which I really enjoyed. Quite a blast from the past.

In Beth’s farewell she said the well had run dry, but that was five years ago. So much has happened since then, I think it could be nice to get something similar going again.

Not trying to be a backseat driver, but I really enjoyed the perspective and thought I would mention it.

Makes a certain amount of sense, even if some of the resulting articles were retreads; updated versions of old posts are something of a staple here given the aim is timeless style rather than temporary fad.

Comment

Sure, its fun to get alternate points of view. A woman's perspective might be especially useful for the guys in the dating market. Otherwise, I'm dubious of the old cliche that women need to tell men how to dress. It leads to things like matchy match tie-pocket square sets from TJ Maxx. When I walk around the office building, I just as many terribly dressed women as terribly dressed men. But, a woman with a good style sense and a finger on the pulse of what other stylish women like to see in menswear? You bet, I'm there for it.

Comment

I am not sure it is needed. Back when it was current I thought the idea was interesting, but I was never sure how well it worked. It was mostly relationship advice, and quite frankly there is enough of those. I wouldn't complain if she came back, or someone else picked it up, but I don't miss it either.

If you want style advice from a woman, there is style girlfriend

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
          yeah, but her taste is pretty awful. She can make a layered look with the best of them, but individual pieces don’t hold up.

Id be interested in a woman’s perspective from an advocate perspective (is prep/greaser/collegiate too patriarchal?) or on what women really think about some of the wilder recent trends (matching shirts and pants, sneaker heads, all over print, painted nails, men in dresses).

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
            SG isn't so much SG anymore but Style-is-my-business. Her website has gone from one female providing friendly and helpful advice, to a full fledged business with a staff of what? Six? Eight? Woman all providing style advice. Her website feels less friendly and much more corporate.

I think it is unfortunate that a lot of the style websites have gone by the wayside. The Style Blogger, Dan Trepaniers old website, was great for giving advice too. But he moved on to tailoring clothing and left his roots behind. Broke and Bespoke is another that is a shadow of its former self (sorry Ian). There others that used to have daily content and no longer update. Joe's website seems to be one of the few that kept it going all these years. Kudos Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post

yeah, but her taste is pretty awful. She can make a layered look with the best of them, but individual pieces don’t hold up.

Id be interested in a woman’s perspective from an advocate perspective (is prep/greaser/collegiate too patriarchal?) or on what women really think about some of the wilder recent trends (matching shirts and pants, sneaker heads, all over print, painted nails, men in dresses).
              Really? An advocate's perspective? I don't think advocacy is really conductive to good style. In fact, because feminism focuses on power dynamics, a feminist might argue that you should dress like a slob in order to check your privilege.

I think the big problem with the "women's perspective" is that women have different views. Women are also unlikely to come out directly against things like men in dresses.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

SG isn't so much SG anymore but Style-is-my-business. Her website has gone from one female providing friendly and helpful advice, to a full fledged business with a staff of what? Six? Eight? Woman all providing style advice. Her website feels less friendly and much more corporate.

I think it is unfortunate that a lot of the style websites have gone by the wayside. The Style Blogger, Dan Trepaniers old website, was great for giving advice too. But he moved on to tailoring clothing and left his roots behind. Broke and Bespoke is another that is a shadow of its former self (sorry Ian). There others that used to have daily content and no longer update. Joe's website seems to be one of the few that kept it going all these years. Kudos Joe!
                Although Joe has expanded his staff, he does still have a sort of amateur feeling to his blog.

If eight women who give men style advice professionally can't do a good job, well good luck finding one who can.

Comment

Three cheers for Joe! I agree that most of the style blogs kind of fizzle after they get past the basic "how to dress well" stuff, and then just turn into an online retail site with a nice back catalog of "how to dress well" blog posts. I imagine that Joe's focus on new releases and sales and how to tie that into fundamental concepts keeps things fresh and interesting. Plus, he doesn't take this stuff too seriously. I also still regularly read Put This On since they do some interesting interviews and articles on industry figures and occasionally check in to Ivy Style.

Comment

Yeah, PTO is still a good site. I check it out daily, as I do with Die, Workwear. This Fits was also a good website, although it hasn't been updated in ages.

I find the whole style-to-business transition interesting. I've been around these forums long enough to remember when at NY Fashion Week there was a basketball tournament organized by all the young up and coming bloggers. Guys like Dan Trepanier, James Nord, the guy from Superdanger.us, etc. SG was hanging out in the wings, cheering people on. etc. Oh, how the times have changed.

Comment

i really liked the 'ask a woman' posts too, i didn't even realize how much until just thinking about it right now.

Comment

I liked those, too, and also the "Mailbag" feature where people wrote in to Joe with questions.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post

I don't know that her (and her minions') taste is uniformly awful but they're kind of the bizarro Dappered in that they are far more likely to chase current trends. I can see why the people who hang out here are anti-SG to some extent but if I were a 20 something I might be into some of their looks - or to use her spellng, lewks. The bottom line is that peoples' opinions on style vary widely and what one person thinks looks great might look awful to others. E.g. Jason Sudekis wears a tie dye hoodie to accept a Golden Globe was it? and gets widely praised for that choice, which is going to look super-dated in a couple years. SG would be (and probably was) all over that look. Around these parts I'm guessing it generated a lot of side eye. They were big into what they called sleaze style a couple years ago and that is the opposite of what people around here are going for but it had its advocates at GQ, Esquire, etc. so it wasn't just SG.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, PTO is still a good site. I check it out daily, as I do with Die, Workwear. This Fits was also a good website, although it hasn't been updated in ages.

I find the whole style-to-business transition interesting. I've been around these forums long enough to remember when at NY Fashion Week there was a basketball tournament organized by all the young up and coming bloggers. Guys like Dan Trepanier, James Nord, the guy from Superdanger.us, etc. SG was hanging out in the wings, cheering people on. etc. Oh, how the times have changed.
                            I like PTO - that, Dappered, and Valet are the three I check most often (I suspect a lot of content at Valet is revenue/promotions driven but it still works for me, mostly). Another one that I occasionally check in on is FromSqualortoBaller but he rarely posts much anymore. Also the guy at HeSpokeStyle generally provides solid advice (though it's higher end advice on tailored pieces so not for every budget by any means) but he comes off (IMO) as a little conceited/full of himself. So I check in there on a limited basis because I can only take him in small doses, but the style advice he gives is solid. Making use of his blog also often requires searching for more budget friendly alternatives that get a look similar to the one he's going for on a budget that's lower than the budget he's typically working with because he's definitely not focused exclusively on affordable style. I also still check in every few weeks on MagnificentBastard (they were the OG style blog for me - the first one I discovered). They also come off as obnoxiously conceited but in their case it's intentional.
                            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Ah yes. The HeSpokeStyle fellow. I have much the same impression of his website as you. I do follow him on Insta because some of his style combos are well put together. But as you said, his clothing choices are higher end. Back in the day, I think there were many more mens blogs in and around the interwebs. Now it seems like there are only a handful left. Or maybe I've just slowly closed my world down remaining half dozen or so that speak to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X