One piece/Cooper collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One piece/Cooper collar

I noticed Spier and Mackay came out with three new Cooper collar shirts in button-down. https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...2551-c22f5k-cc

If you're unfamiliar with this style, give it a Google. Kirby Allison from The Hanger Project has a pretty good video that breaks it down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpetSGFGpRs

Anyway, when these go on sale at S&M, I think I'm in for one. With my company sending out the email today that we'll start gradually returning to the office over the next few months, I need to get back in the "dressing like a human" routine again. Since I frequently wear a sportcoat to work (except in the summer in Texas...which lasts nine months), this might have just the right stance without me having to resort to my trusty magnetic collar stays.

Uhh, interesting. Never heard of a Cooper collar. Learn something new every day.

So, since the Cooper collar doesn't have a button at the top, how exactly does a Texan wear a bolo tie with one?

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
      Uhh, interesting. Never heard of a Cooper collar. Learn something new every day.

So, since the Cooper collar doesn't have a button at the top, how exactly does a Texan wear a bolo tie with one?
      Ha! Well, in that case, we'd use the bolo tie to secure our six shooter to our leg so it doesn't bounce when we're ridin' our horse.

Comment

I definitely dig it! Don't know sh!t about Gary Cooper, but I like the style. Let us know what you think if/when you do pull the trigger. Doesn't seem like a terrible buy even at the full $55 price tag considering it's something just a bit different, without being weird.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post

Ha! Well, in that case, we'd use the bolo tie to secure our six shooter to our leg so it doesn't bounce when we're ridin' our horse.
          Yes!!! That's it! God bless Texas!

Comment

I pulled the trigger on one of these (full price, but with 10% "SIGNUP" discount). I'll share my thoughts once I get an in person!

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
              I pulled the trigger on one of these (full price, but with 10% "SIGNUP" discount). I'll share my thoughts once I get an in person!
              Sweet! I'm curious about the "no top button" thing. Weird, or does it work with the overall style of the shirt. I keep waiting for the Spier and Mackay Memorial Day sale email from them. Maybe not since they're in Canada?

Comment

I MTM'ed a few of these several months ago, just before the New Delhi factory locked down. Will report back whenever they arrive. For some reason their template is restricted to this odd design of button-down collar + no top button even in MTM though; you can't select any other option. Last summer, The Armoury came out with their take on the one-piece collar, and it did have a top button that if buttoned would look just like any other spread collar shirt, but when opened up gave a really relaxed 1950s vibe without going into sleazy 1970s mode. I don't know why SM couldn't do something similar but maybe it'll make sense once I see it in person.

Comment

I must say this is an awesome collection of collar shirts. I have been wearing various styles of shirts for the last decade.

Comment

Originally posted by MediumTex View Post

Sweet! I'm curious about the "no top button" thing. Weird, or does it work with the overall style of the shirt. I keep waiting for the Spier and Mackay Memorial Day sale email from them. Maybe not since they're in Canada?
                    Shirt came in, actually wearing it right now. First off, this was my first Spier and Mackay shirt, and WOW, I am impressed. Not sure why, because I've been extremely impressed with their suits/jackets, but I did not expect such a nice shirt for $55 bucks (not on sale). I'm 5'10" around 170 and a size 16 slim fit me like a custom shirt right off the rack. The fabric quality is just top notch at this price point, I am extremely impressed. I've tried them all, Ledbury, Brooks Bros, CT Shirts, Banana, Thomas Pink, and on and on, and this is right up there with my favorites.

One thing that drives me nuts with shirts is when they are difficult to iron. I don't like taking my shirts to the dry-cleaner if I can avoid it. It's expensive and I've just had bad luck with pre-mature wear and tear taking them to the dry cleaner.

While this shirt is not a "non-iron", it took a press like a champ and doesn't wrinkle immediately like some others. I like my Ledbury shirt, but man, I can't seem to get that thing pressed perfectly, and it wrinkles fairly easily. I am not opposed to non-iron shirts by the way, Brooks Bros does it very well. But the non-non-irons do perhaps breathe a bit better and have the advantage of being generally less expensive. This shirt is in the goldilocks zone for me. Just right.

Now, on to the collar! To me, it's just different enough, but not weird by any means. When laid flat, the collar comes to an almost exaggerated point, think Batman ears. When it's buttoned down, it results in a big looping collar roll. I like it, but it might be too odd for some. As for the lack of a top button, that doesn't bother me one iota. If anything it is calls a bit of attention to the uniqueness of the shirt. If you wanted to wear it with a tie, you certainly could and just cinch it up. It would work fine. If you're wearing it without a tie, then the top button is superfluous anyway. In fact, unless you like rocking the air tie, the top button on a casual shirt is really vestigial...serves no true purpose other than we're just used to seeing it!

Bottom line, I love the shirt. I don't think I'd fill my closet with only cooper collar shirts, but I will 100% be filling my closet with more Spier and Mackay shirts!

Oh and thank you Medium Tex for encouraging me to give it a shot!

Comment

Thanks to the Canada Day sale, I have one of these shirts on the way. I need another shirt like a fish needs a bicycle, but this site is all about fishes and bicycles, as it were.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyharrison View Post

I must say this is an awesome collection of collar shirts. I have been wearing various styles of shirts for the last decade.
                        .....okay, what did you wear up top before that? surely you aren't 10 years old.

("i *AM* 10 years old, and stop calling me Shirley")

gonna recommend Nirofashion again? :P
                        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post

.....okay, what did you wear up top before that? surely you aren't 10 years old.

("i *AM* 10 years old, and stop calling me Shirley")

gonna recommend Nirofashion again? :P
                          Thanks, armedferret . Now I'll be quoting Airplane! for the rest of the day. I just wanted to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you.

Comment

Like everything else at Spier, they don't have these in my size. I'm not complaining, I'm perfectly happy with my current shirts. Spier, though, has not had any navy blazers or suits at all in my size for months. I'm looking forward to trying them someday, but perhaps not their suits.

Their tailoring is done in China - not a problem from a quality perspective, but slavery is woven throughout the Chinese economic system. Even if a particular factory is 'clean', I would rather not support an economic system based on forced labor.

Ah well, maybe they'll have some cooper collar shirts in soon for me to check out.

Comment

Working...
                            X