OCBD recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCBD recommendations

So I used to get my OCBDs primarily from Lucky Brand of all places. I loved the fit and the style was just right. They had a couple different options or phases they'd gone through that had levels of formality as well, so some were work appropriate and others great for weekends. But they've transitioned out of the OCBD business.

So, where do you get your OCBD? For reference, I like the fit of Lands End for most of my dress shirts. I prefer all natural fibers. Big bonus for made in USA (or Canada, western Europe, or from a company that is reliably ethical with sourcing as regards labor standards).

Not trying to break the bank, but willing to spend a smidge on something transcendent. Thanks y'all

the 'original polo' NC USA brooks brothers one is definitely the one i would say is durable, and super well built, and up for abuse. it's my closets most indispensable shirt and i almost wear them exclusively at this point. they have really great shirts. would be worth it at $100 but you used to be able to get them on sale for like $70ish maybe.

they are legends for a reason. you just can't beat them. i have ones that i've been wearing every week since 2011 that looks like the day i bought them.

Comment

Land's End tailored fit shirts fit me pretty well. I have OCBDs from Amazon Goodthreads (regular fit) Uniqlo, and Target Goodfellow that fit about the same or a tiny bit slimmer. My only complaint is that the Target one has a pretty short tail. All good prices.

Comment

I'll second Brooks Brothers. Made in the USA. Looks great. 100% cotton - feels great. Pretty sure its a "must iron", which is supposed to be better for my skin. Collar has "the roll" that the preppy guys go nuts for. ("The roll" might not be as good as it used to be back in the good 'ole days, but it looks fine to me) Mine is Regent fit, which is perfect for me but might be too full for the younger, fitter guys. I think they sell them in the slimmer fits; not sure. Not too long ago, BB was doing a multi-buy deal on the OCBDs, er, excuse me, "polo" shirts. Don't know about now. However, BB also usually does a big sale around Father's Day, which is just next month.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
          the 'original polo' NC USA brooks brothers one is definitely the one i would say is durable, and super well built, and up for abuse. it's my closets most indispensable shirt and i almost wear them exclusively at this point. they have really great shirts. would be worth it at $100 but you used to be able to get them on sale for like $70ish maybe.

they are legends for a reason. you just can't beat them. i have ones that i've been wearing every week since 2011 that looks like the day i bought them.
          Thanks. I've been trying to decide if, having fairly well settled into my style both professionally and at home, if its time to buy better rather than more often. I'll have to check them out

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
            Land's End tailored fit shirts fit me pretty well. I have OCBDs from Amazon Goodthreads (regular fit) Uniqlo, and Target Goodfellow that fit about the same or a tiny bit slimmer. My only complaint is that the Target one has a pretty short tail. All good prices.
            I've been considering trying the Amazon goodthreads stuff, since I use prime so frequently anyway, but I've been irrationally biased against them.as a clothing brand. Might have to give it a swing. Thanks

Comment

I still like the J crew man line OCBD. Might give BB a try next time though. I wear the crap out of these things.

Comment

Big fan of the S&M OCBDs if you can get them in your size. They always seem to have scattered sizes. They’re built like tanks but because of this they’re only really wearable for three seasons at most. Summer = madras, seersucker and linen anyway for casual shirts.

Comment

I'll throw in a recommendation for Kamakura. They are pretty close to, if not right at, break the bank price, at least to my discount-oriented perspective. But they can be found on eBay and Poshmark and they do have some sales. The quality of the cloth is solid, the cut is great and the collar roll is pretty much perfect. The ones I have definitely require ironing, but the result is a really well-made, great looking shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc99 View Post
                    Big fan of the S&M OCBDs if you can get them in your size. They always seem to have scattered sizes. They’re built like tanks but because of this they’re only really wearable for three seasons at most. Summer = madras, seersucker and linen anyway for casual shirts.
                    That might be an issue. I live in Florida so 3 seasons are the one season you don't recommend them for.

Comment

Originally posted by gibbysmalls View Post

That might be an issue. I live in Florida so 3 seasons are the one season you don't recommend them for.
                      Fair enough. I probably wouldn’t buy them for FL either, but when I lived in FL I was in fully cranked air conditioning except going to or from a car, year round, whenever I wore a shirt with buttons.

Just to nip it in the bud, S&M does also offer lighter weight OCBDs, but they tend to wrinkle too much for my taste, even with ironing.

Comment

I got one of the Uniqlo OCBD, and I was disappointed because of all the hype. The collar is small, it is a bit short, and it comes untucked every time I raise my arms above my head. That makes it like pretty much typical for a shirt in that price range.

Comment

I have had a few made by Proper Cloth and Ratio over the last few years, and would recommend either, although Proper Cloth's fabric selection is probably better. Their more traditional OCBD detailing isn't as good as Ratio (lined vs. unlined collar, etc.) but that doesn't seem to be an issue here.

It's probably considered 'breaking the bank' in this context, but not moreso than the NC made BBs, which as far as I know, aren't made in NC anymore since BB sold the factory last year. I could be wrong here, I know the sale date of the factory moved around a few times.

Comment

I buy all my OCBDs from Spier&MacKay. They come in 3 fits and have a good selection. I love the quality and the collar role.
                            https://www.spierandmackay.com/collection/oxford-shirts
                            Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

I've been getting my shirts either from Banana Republic or the Gap. Usually depends on which store is having the best sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X