Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second pair of Allen Edmonds - need help with color

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Second pair of Allen Edmonds - need help with color

    First, a little bit of background:
    • I work in a very casual workplace (think anything from athletic wear, to shorts and sneakers and t-shirts, etc). I tend to always dress at least business casual (slacks/chinos + button down/polo), but can't see myself wearing Oxfords very often, if ever (it would undoubtedly prompt "Are you interviewing for a new company?" questions from the coworkers). So I wouldn't really wear the Allen Edmonds at work.
    • My main occasion for wearing Oxfords is usually a wedding. I'm attending my friend's in October.
    • I own the Cornwallis in brown and love the shoes.
    Since I've worn the Cornwallis to a few weddings already, I felt like taking advantage of the recent AE sale and ordering another pair.
    I ordered the McAllister in Dark Chili and the Strand in Walnut.

    I'm envisioning wearing these shoes with my current suit, which is kind of a greyish light blue (picture below), and my only suit at the moment, and a navy suit that I plan to acquire before the wedding.

    I wanted to ask folks which they consider the more versatile shoe, between the McAllister and the Strand.
    While I think the Walnut Strand does look incredible, I'm considering exchanging it for a pair in dark Chili, as it seems it would be more versatile.
    Any other colors I should consider?

    Thanks in advance!

    Currently the only suit I own:



    #2
    Walnut Strands are awesome.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
      Walnut Strands are awesome.
      They are beautiful, and they looked great with some light grey slacks I have, but I'm wondering if they'd be more versatile in, say, Oxblood.

      Comment


        #4
        The McAllister might be slightly more versatile than the Strand. The Strands would look out of place with a pair of dark jeans but I can see the McAllisters looking a little better. Otherwise the difference is negligible. Its really down to your personal preference. I like both but prefer the Strands. As for color, definitely go with oxblood. The reddish hue looks killer with that color blue. I mentioned this in a thread the other day but I'm not a fan of walnut. I think there's too much contrast when paired with darker colors and it brings people's attention down to your feet and away from your face. I have a pair of Merlot Strands and they are by far my favorite, most worn shoes.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by SD_Trojan View Post

          They are beautiful, and they looked great with some light grey slacks I have, but I'm wondering if they'd be more versatile in, say, Oxblood.
          So this is just my own experience, but I started with a pair of Walnut Strands. I loved them and wore them a ton for a couple years. I've since acquired a few more pairs of AEs, both Strands and MaAllisters, and I can say now that I wear my Bourbon McAllisters 90% of the time. I just find the darker brown to be much more versatile, and wish that I had a pair of darker brown Strands as well. I still like the Walnut color, but frankly, I'd prefer to have a pair in the Mahogany color that they are now offered in. I think they'd get a lot more wear than my Walnut ones do these days, even with having a pair of similarly-colored McAllisters.

          Also, I've found over time that I prefer the full-brogued style of the McAllisters over the half-brogue/captoe of the Strands. But my own wardrobe leans casual, which I think sways that opinion a bit.

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks a lot, everyone! I found out that I have an Allen Edmonds store not too far from me, so went there this weekend.

            Man, the mahogany color is absolutely beautiful in person.

            I've narrowed it down to the Strand in either Dark Chili or Mahogany.
            The store is having a Dark Chili Strand shipped to me, and said they'd let me exchange it for a mahogany if I don't love the color when I receive it.
            The salesperson was telling me he thought the Dark Chili is a bit more versatile than the Mahogany, but I guess I'll see for myself.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SD_Trojan View Post
              Thanks a lot, everyone! I found out that I have an Allen Edmonds store not too far from me, so went there this weekend.

              Man, the mahogany color is absolutely beautiful in person.

              I've narrowed it down to the Strand in either Dark Chili or Mahogany.
              The store is having a Dark Chili Strand shipped to me, and said they'd let me exchange it for a mahogany if I don't love the color when I receive it.
              The salesperson was telling me he thought the Dark Chili is a bit more versatile than the Mahogany, but I guess I'll see for myself.
              I would have voted for a plain toe in walnut (which is what I just bought). The salesperson who helped me felt it was probably one of the most versatile options. With that said, I did ask him about a second color, and he did recommend the Chili color.

              Comment


                #8
                I think your overall wardrobe would have more versatility with dark chili Macalister and walnut Strand, rather than both in dark chili. That said, perhaps consider exchanging one of those for a derby, monkstrap, or loafer rather than having all oxfords.

                Oh dear! Say it ain't so--I just tried to find a long wing derby on the AE website to post a link for you and could only find one model, in black only, in limited sizes. Long wingtip derbies are some of my favorite shoes.

                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
                  I think your overall wardrobe would have more versatility with dark chili Macalister and walnut Strand, rather than both in dark chili. That said, perhaps consider exchanging one of those for a derby, monkstrap, or loafer rather than having all oxfords.

                  Oh dear! Say it ain't so--I just tried to find a long wing derby on the AE website to post a link for you and could only find one model, in black only, in limited sizes. Long wingtip derbies are some of my favorite shoes.
                  I'm shocked they've discontinued the MacNeils if that's what's going on here (and it does look like it)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Alex.C View Post

                    I'm shocked they've discontinued the MacNeils if that's what's going on here (and it does look like it)
                    Yes, that was over a year ago, I think. I was so disappointed I sent them an email. My oxblood MacNeils are among my favorite shoes. AE's response attempted to be reassuring and they pointed out they still carried other long wing tips. But, alas, no more.

                    I don't think they have any wingtip derby shoes anymore. Long or short.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                      Walnut Strands are awesome.
                      Agreed, with a dark pair and a light pair in your wardrobe, you could do a lot.

                      Does
                      Originally posted by SD_Trojan
                      SD_Trojan
                      mean that Fight On! is in order?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

                        Agreed, with a dark pair and a light pair in your wardrobe, you could do a lot.

                        Does mean that Fight On! is in order?
                        Indeed it does! Fight on!!!

                        I know I wasn't clear in my earlier comments, but between the McAllisters and the Strand, I was planning on only keeping one pair for now.
                        I think I'll stick with the Strand , although I do love the wingtips on the McAllister and do want a pair in the future.
                        I do definitely like the walnut color, but I tried it on with several different combinations, and found it was somewhat limited (went really well with my collection of light grey chinos).
                        I think the Strand in Mahogany or Dark Chili may be a more usable all around choice, although I don't want them too close in appearance to the Burnished Brown Cornwallis that I have.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          At some point, you probably want to get a pair of black shoes, just because even if you don't wear black all the time, when you need a pair of black shoes, you need them. Somewhat counterintuitively, I would coulnsel getting a black shoe in a Derby, Long wing blucher, or even a boot. That way, you get a lot more use out of them then you might if you want with, say, the Park Avenue oxford. For example, the Williamsburg boot for a dressy chukka or the Surrey for a more casual boot. Or even something like the Tate, which you can often get for $150 or less.
                          If you were considering a split toe, I would suggest the Del Ray. in any dark color, but especially black, dark brown, chili or oxblood. Great, versatile shoe that will give you a different look than the Oxfords you already have. I don't own the Delray, but I have a pair of the Rafael in black, which is sort of the Delray, but in a Chukka boot. I bought those last year and they are among my go to choices (along with my Oxblood Macneils, and my chili Daltons, for wearing with a dark suit in fall and winter.
                          Last edited by MRT2; July 18, 2021, 11:37 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by MRT2 View Post
                            At some point, you probably want to get a pair of black shoes, just because even if you don't wear black all the time, when you need a pair of black shoes, you need them. Somewhat counterintuitively, I would coulnsel getting a black shoe in a Derby, Long wing blucher, or even a boot.
                            Putting aside formal type situations, for me, I gotta have a black boot (or shoe, I guess), when I want to wear black jeans. I just don't like any other color shoe/boot with black jeans. Maybe gray, but you don't see those around much.

                            We don't discuss black jeans around here much, but in some of the dark-mood places we go in LA, they are very appropriate.

                            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

                              Putting aside formal type situations, for me, I gotta have a black boot (or shoe, I guess), when I want to wear black jeans. I just don't like any other color shoe/boot with black jeans. Maybe gray, but you don't see those around much.

                              We don't discuss black jeans around here much, but in some of the dark-mood places we go in LA, they are very appropriate.
                              Funny how some people say black is all you need, and others don't even consider black. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. For the minimalist who only has 3 pairs of shoes, at least one pair should be black. For the well dressed man with a range of shoes and boots, say a collection of 8 to 10 pairs of shoes, at least 2, maybe 3 should be black. What I mean is, one pair of black dress shoes for formal occasions, one pair of in between such as a dress Chukka,, LBW, or service boot, and one pair of black sneakers or casual shoes.

                              You can wear the dress shoes to events such as funerals, evening formal occasions, or as a default shoe to wear with a charcoal grey suit where you are in a conservative or professional enviornment (though dark brown or oxblood might work well too for that). The in betweeners will get the most use. I was surprised at how much use my black and dark brown
                              chukkas get in fall and winter both for business occasions and just wearing in the office when goiing casual. For casual a pair of service boots or derbys, or alternately black minimalist sneakers to wear with black or dark jeans, or black casual pants.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X