Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone make good handkerchiefs anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone make good handkerchiefs anymore?

I like to carry a handkerchief with me in my car and such. I don't use them for blowing my nose, but for other things such as wiping my hands if they're slightly dirty. They feel better than using paper napkins, just as cloth napkins at a fancy restaurant feel better than the napkins at McDonalds, and they're less wasteful than throwing away napkins all the time.

I used to have some nice ones that were given to me by my grandparents a long time ago, but I've lost or worn out most of them. They were soft, absorbent and they didn't wrinkle much. I have no idea what brand they were or their composition. There were also some that wrinkled more, so I assume those were all cotton and the good ones may have been a poly blend, but they didn't seem synthetic to me so I thought maybe they were just a higher quality cotton.

I'm trying to replace them, but looking online I can't find any handkerchiefs that have consistently good reviews. On Amazon, every one has a few reviews, often with pictures, complaining that they're too thin and see-through, too coarse, they fall apart and fray after one wash, they wrinkle really terribly and so forth.

Can anybody recommend some handkerchiefs that are actually made of decent quality fabric? I want all white so I can bleach them if needed. Functional handkerchiefs that are soft and reasonably absorbent, not cosmetic pocket squares. Wrinkle resistance would be nice but it's not the highest priority. And they can't be crazy expensive. Cheap ones cost around a dollar. I could go up to maybe around three dollars apiece, but not some luxury product that costs twenty bucks.

It shouldn't be this hard to find some squares of decent quality fabric.

You didn't say whether you display your handkerchief in your breast pocket. If not, would you consider a bandana? I have carried one for probably close to 20 years at this point, for incidental wiping, such as my face, forehead, and the back of my neck when it's warm out. I get them from a site called Wholesale For Everyone—and it turns out that they also happen to carry plain white handkerchiefs, so maybe you can check these out: https://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com...sic-white.html

Comment

No, I don't display them. I just carry them in my bags, jacket pockets and such. I just want plain white.

Do you know exactly what type you use? Is it the 100% cotton "TC 148" (thread count I assume?) or is it some other one?

Comment

Hey sorry, I didn't know there was another post on this thread... for the bandanas, I buy these: https://www.wholesaleforeveryone.com.../BNSP0900.html

I like them because they are made in USA and come in a decent array of color choices. But I don't buy or use handkerchiefs, so I can't offer any guidance there.

Comment

Originally posted by dappertert View Post
          I like to carry a handkerchief with me in my car and such. I don't use them for blowing my nose, but for other things such as wiping my hands if they're slightly dirty. They feel better than using paper napkins, just as cloth napkins at a fancy restaurant feel better than the napkins at McDonalds, and they're less wasteful than throwing away napkins all the time.

I used to have some nice ones that were given to me by my grandparents a long time ago, but I've lost or worn out most of them. They were soft, absorbent and they didn't wrinkle much. I have no idea what brand they were or their composition. There were also some that wrinkled more, so I assume those were all cotton and the good ones may have been a poly blend, but they didn't seem synthetic to me so I thought maybe they were just a higher quality cotton.

I'm trying to replace them, but looking online I can't find any handkerchiefs that have consistently good reviews. On Amazon, every one has a few reviews, often with pictures, complaining that they're too thin and see-through, too coarse, they fall apart and fray after one wash, they wrinkle really terribly and so forth.

Can anybody recommend some handkerchiefs that are actually made of decent quality fabric? I want all white so I can bleach them if needed. Functional handkerchiefs that are soft and reasonably absorbent, not cosmetic pocket squares. Wrinkle resistance would be nice but it's not the highest priority. And they can't be crazy expensive. Cheap ones cost around a dollar. I could go up to maybe around three dollars apiece, but not some luxury product that costs twenty bucks.

It shouldn't be this hard to find some squares of decent quality fabric.
          Based on your budget and needs, just get some terry cloth shop rags or washcloths. If you want something of quality, you'll need to spend more than the price of a burger and fries.

I recommend Hanks Kerchiefs and The Hill-Side for higher quality, more unique offerings.

https://hankskerchiefs.com/collections/all

https://thehill-side.com/collections...uares-bandanas

Comment

Working...
          X