Spier and Mackay vs Bonobos sports coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier and Mackay vs Bonobos sports coats

Another thread about assuming that I'll get back to work travel sometime this year... I need to refresh some items with sport coats being one group. All of my sport coats are currently from Bonobos. The 100% wool Foundation blazers that they used to have were/are great. They travel well and look nice. I despise the Jetsetter blazers. I picked one up on a decent sale probably a year ago and finally wore it for the first time a week ago. I do not like them. It doesn't look awesome, and it took me forever to try and get at least some of the wrinkles out - after it was hanging up in my closet for a year. I had bought another previously but returned it due to the wrinkle issue. The Foundation blazers could be rolled up in my suitcase and pop out without any wrinkles. The Jetsetters aren't exactly cheap either.

I know this site loves Spier and Mackay, so I just ordered a 100% wool blazer from their site that was on sale. My Bonobos blazers are 40R in slim, and I bought the same from Spier. The measurements seemed to line up well with the Spier being a bit bigger in the chest which would be a good thing.

I'm curious to see what the quality is like. So what's the general consensus on Spier sportcoats versus Bonobos Jetsetters?

Over the last couple of years, I feel like Bonobos quality has gone down hill, veering towards that J. Crew-esque 'good style but bad value' range.

Spier & Mackay jackets are lightyears better than Bonobos Jetsetter jackets. I've never been impressed with any of Bonobos suiting. I think their only jackets comparable to Spier & Mackay are their unconstructed blazers but I'd still pick a S&M jacket over a Bonobos unconstructed jacket every time.

Comment

I love the Bonobos unconstructed jacket for its fabric but agree that my Spier and Mackay is a much better jacket overall. The construction is better. The lapels and length are more timeless. I bought all on major sale but would pay full price for Spier and Mackay. I cannot say the same for Bonobos.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
        I love the Bonobos unconstructed jacket for its fabric but agree that my Spier and Mackay is a much better jacket overall. The construction is better. The lapels and length are more timeless. I bought all on major sale but would pay full price for Spier and Mackay. I cannot say the same for Bonobos.
        Completely agree on your conclusion - Spier is worth the full asking price, Bonobos only feels good when I get it on significant sale, and I won't buy from them when it's not deeply discounted.

Bonobos has less desirable fabrics for me, but the real thing they have going is their Athletic cut - in 40L it looks custom fit on me, no tailoring needed.

Spier does cost me more hassle and a bit more money - buy a 42L contemporary, then tailor/wait. The end result sets me back more than Bonobos on sale, but it's better fabric with a bit wider lapel.

Comment

Working...
        X