Hunting for chinos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting for chinos

I’m in the market for several pairs of casual chinos (no permanent crease so D1s are out) to wear as an upgrade to jeans. The profession I’m in has most wearing ill-fitting khakis and polo shirts. I like to wear at least a button up shirt and a well-fitting pair of khakis. But that’s just the problem. I can’t seem to find any.

The trouble comes because I am a 32x33 length in most pants. For reference I wear 501’s in 32x32 and try on a number of different pairs to get the longest possible. I have several pairs of gap dress khakis from a few years ago in 32x34 that puddle at the bottom.

I’ve tried on the JCP causal chinos in 32x32 and they were too slim in the seat/thigh and too short. Conversely, the 34x34 was way too baggy and too long. I tried on gap’s latest offerings (slim and otherwise) and had the same problem – the 32x32 was an inch too short and the 34x34 an inch too long. I tried on the Emerson chinos from BR and had the same problem as at gap. The Gavin chinos were way too baggy in a 32 waist as well.

So basically, I want casual chinos that fit similarly to 501s (I’m fine with slight tapering as long as it’s not calf hugging) that aren’t too short or too long. Any thoughts? Anything I’m overlooking?

Bonobos are the best fitting Chinos IMHO. Based on your description, their Straight fit is probably what you would want. I personally like their Slim Straight. You need to go one inch down from your BR/Gap size on the waist. They are expensive but with the current referral promo of $50 off $125, you can get two for a reasonable price. Let me know if you need a code and I will send you a message.

Comment

BR recently brought out some slim fit casual chinos (no crease). Bonobos is not bad either, but look for a sale, same goes for the BR chinos, there should be a 40% off coming before w/e they decide to do for BF this year.

Comment

I am in the same position you are. 6 Feet 175 and a 32x33. I've just started getting 32x34 and getting them hemmed for $12-$15. That is for using the original hem. Would love to avoid that step if possible.
        42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Maybe this is blasphemy, but the lived-in slim khakis from GAP are obscenely comfortable and soft: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=243639172

Comment

I forgot to write that you should try the 32 length from Bonobos, since they run longer than the brands you mentioned.

Comment

My current favorites are the Bill's Khakis M3 fit. They are mostly out of them in size 32 now, but check Sierra Trading Post, that's where I've gotten all of mine at some pretty steep discounts:
              http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~b...m3/?perPage=24

Comment

Funny this post is here. I was just about to post on the Gap lived in Khakis...I love them. I got a pair over the weekend and they are amazingly soft and comfortable. I would get every color if I could. Highly recommend. Fit is true to size I wear a 29/30-29/30.
                What we do in life echos throughout eternity.
                -Maximus

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I've looked at Bonobos before, but the price has always been steep for me (even with the $50 off $125, two pairs of chinos would come out to $125 which is still $63/pair. Ouch.) Same with Bill's Khakis. I guess I'll have to save up for a while or just get cheaper pants hemmed.

@Eyerman I tried on the lived in slim this past weekend and they were way to slim in the thigh and way too tapered in the calf for my waist size.
                  Last edited by ZacharyR; November 13, 2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

The Republic of Bananas and J. Crew are the two places I get mine.

Comment

I guess being 5'5" and 145 does have its advangtages at times!
                      -Maximus

Comment

Originally posted by Eyerman View Post
                        Funny this post is here. I was just about to post on the Gap lived in Khakis...I love them. I got a pair over the weekend and they are amazingly soft and comfortable. I would get every color if I could. Highly recommend. Fit is true to size I wear a 29/30-29/30.
                        Last time I tried them, the 29 were too big at the waist for me, but now that I gained weight, I think I should give them another try.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyerman View Post
                          I guess being 5'5" and 145 does have its advangtages at times!
                          lol are you also a 36S for blazers? Those are my exact measurements too.

Comment

Originally posted by goterps View Post
                            lol are you also a 36S for blazers? Those are my exact measurements too.
                            HA! Yes! I have to get the sleeves shortened. The waist brought in a tad. And sometimes (depending on who makes the jacket) it is slightly too long, like a half inch to an inch. For instance the JCREW Factory Thompson is about 1/2 too long for my exact liking, but its an oversight for the price/quality.
                            -Maximus

Comment

Uniqlo's slim fit chinos get my endorsement. Good material and they strike the right dressy/casual balance. I usually get mine tapered post-purchase, but I prefer a 14.5" leg opening and that's slimmer than most like it.

Anyone have experience with the Land's End 608 fit pants? They have the leg opening I like, but I'm concerned that they might have the same odd fit as Docker's Alpha Khakis. That is to say made for super skinny legs the whole way through.

Comment

Working...
                              X