Foundation Brown Blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foundation Brown Blazer

My current workplace--the one day a week that I am physically there--is a little more formal than my previous one, I am in a slightly more senior role, and I have grown to care a little less about obnoxious comments about how dressed up I am (though that will always remain a struggle for me). So I've taken to wearing blazers and sportcoats a bit more on the days I am in the office.

Among the myriad conversations I see here about the essential navy blazer, I have more than once seen it recommended that a brown blazer might be more versatile. This makes some good sense to me, as it could be worn with almost any color trousers, and do better with jeans as well.

Does anybody have recommendations for a specific model/color/pattern? My ideal, of course, is something casual-leaning (unlined, patch pockets, etc.) a la Bonobos or Spier. But almost everything I'm seeing on Spier and Mackay's site looks pretty seasonal.

Is there a good option out there for a year-round weight, solid or patterned, do-it-all, brown blazer?

I would recommend a brown glen check with a subtle pattern.

https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men/jac...html?cgid=live

you could go darker brown if you wanted to. I have a L.B.M. In cotton that I love. Similar in color to this:

https://topshelfapparel.com/collecti...ool-sport-coat

Comment

That was probably me going on about brown sportcoats. Guilty as charged. My two go-tos are a brown Harris Tweed herring-bone jacket and a lighter weight worsted wool puppy-tooth patterned jacket from Hart Shaffner Marx. The puppy tooth jacket is mostly four season, except for really hot summer days. I love it for everything, except that my favorite green shirt also happens to be puppy tooth patterned, so I can't wear them together. Way too many puppy teeth. But otherwise, it probably goes with everything else in my wardrobe. The tweed jacket is awesome and also goes with most everything (including the green puppy tooth shirt ), but obviously not so much four season. More like one season (winter) and half each of the shoulder seasons (if I'm lucky).

Lots of cool jackets on Spier and Mackay. One of those wool/linen blend jobs would probably do well for a four season jacket. If you go patterned, just make sure it isn't a pattern that you also have on your shirts, as I learned the hard way. A wide check is pretty versatile. Solid looks better with some texture, IMHO. A tweed or chunky linen fits the bill. For pockets, patch pockets are the cool kids' choice. I like flaps just fine, though. Hacking pockets can look cool and kind of lend a Brit flair, but that they can also make your hips look wide if not done well. Tread carefully there. On the shade of brown, I like it a bit darker than mid-brown for a good contrast with khaki trousers. But a lighter shade would be more warm season appropriate.

Comment

These two from Spier would be fine all year round. They are a wool-linen mix, but not obviously summer-weight.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...-2400584-22152

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...k-g027-610-136

Comment

Originally posted by otoba View Post
          These two from Spier would be fine all year round. They are a wool-linen mix, but not obviously summer-weight.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...-2400584-22152

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...k-g027-610-136
          Thanks - those had caught my eye. In my head I read "linen" and think of something wrinkly and very decidedly summer only, but now see at least one of these specifically says three season weight.

tankerjohn good advice all around! I think about how a new prospective item would fit into my current wardrobe probably to a fault. Thankfully I don't have too many checked shirts, and imagine this would most often be going with a light blue or white OCBD. I have a J Crew tweed in a medium gray I got on eBay that I'm quite happy with for a true winter jacket, so I guess I am covered there.

Will commence lusting after these options now... and probably trying Nordstrom Rack and a thrift store or two before convincing myself to pay full price for one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post

Thanks - those had caught my eye. In my head I read "linen" and think of something wrinkly and very decidedly summer only, but now see at least one of these specifically says three season weight.

tankerjohn good advice all around! I think about how a new prospective item would fit into my current wardrobe probably to a fault. Thankfully I don't have too many checked shirts, and imagine this would most often be going with a light blue or white OCBD. I have a J Crew tweed in a medium gray I got on eBay that I'm quite happy with for a true winter jacket, so I guess I am covered there.

Will commence lusting after these options now... and probably trying Nordstrom Rack and a thrift store or two before convincing myself to pay full price for one of these.
            Thank you. Glad to be of assistance. On linen - one reason that manufacturers will combine linen with wool, cotton, and silk is to cut down on the wrinkles. While a 100% linen unstructured, unlined jacket will indeed be wrinkle city (which I think is a casual, summery look that can be embraced), a linen/wool/silk blend, especially if it has some light structure and/or lining, shouldn't need anything more than the usual periodic brushing and steaming to look good. Also, you can find some thicker, chunkier linen fabrics, particularly from Irish mills, that don't wrinkle like lighter weight linen fabric.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Don't forget that Memorial Day and Father's Day are coming up soon and usually there will be lots of menswear sales around those holidays (although I always find Memorial Day promotions to be in extremely poor taste - shopping and gifting is just not what that holiday is about).

Comment

Working...
            X