Spier and Mackay Sweatshirts for 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier and Mackay Sweatshirts for 2021

Has anyone taken the plunge on SM sweatshirts this year? I bought a full-zip hoodie last year when they were on final sale and I like the quality/details, especially the double zipper, but man are they short in the body. I'm only 5'7" so I imagine I'm not the only one who wishes they were a couple inches longer in the body. Don't know the measurements of the one I bought last year to compare pre-wash.

If anyone has purchased any of the SM 'sweats' this year I'd be interested in your initial thoughts.

Thanks!

I looked hard into them, but at 6'0, I'm not sure I can wear something that runs short on someone who's 5'7...

Comment

Bought them last year, both the crewneck and the hoodie. Size L fits like a M and size XL fits like a L. I love them though. Actually wore one today. Reference: 6’1” 165lbs

Comment

I am not even tempted.

Comment

Guess I’ll bite ryn, why not?

Comment

I don't understand the hype. I am assuming that they are high quality, but then they are high quality zip sweaters and sweatshirts in various shades of grey. I don't like sweatshirts, especially with that triangular v seam under the neck.

Even then I can't get excited about them, or understand why anyone would. It is like expensive t shirts.

Comment

I agree that the full price makes these less appealing. I paid $20-25 for the crewneck and hoodie, and another poster said they got the old version on sale too. I don’t find $25 as a lot for a two way zip hoodie, especially one built from what reminds me of the old sweatshirts from the 80s and 90s that were able to be “broken in” and were built like tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                I don't understand the hype. I am assuming that they are high quality, but then they are high quality zip sweaters and sweatshirts in various shades of grey. I don't like sweatshirts, especially with that triangular v seam under the neck.

Even then I can't get excited about them, or understand why anyone would. It is like expensive t shirts.
                I assume your sweatshirt skepticism comes from a preference for classic tailoring, so I'll share a few articles from classic menswear enthusiasts articulating the virtue of a sweatshirt, particularly the grey sweatshirt.

The Unassuming Sweatshirt
                A Basic Guide to Useful Knitwear
                Getting a Good Grey Sweatshirt
                Five Paradigms of Casual Clothing

The overall theme of these articles is that the casual aesthetic of the sweatshirt is its entire charm. And frankly, a well-maintained sweatshirt can elevate a casual outfit. My go-to look is a grey sweatshirt over a white oxford with dark wash selvedge denim pants. Depending on the weather I can pair that with either clean white leather sneakers or brown workwear boots. It's an excellent look for an afternoon walk or casual drinks at the bar with buddies.

Then there are a variety of Ivy-inspired looks that be formed. Another favorite of mine is pairing a navy sweatshirt with khaki shorts. If I want a collar or an extra layer, I'll layer a white or even pink polo underneath. For this look I can go with sneakers or boat shoes, usually the latter to emphasize the prep vibe.

All of that to say is that the sweatshirt is a timeless staple in a wardrobe. Think less athleisure and more classic Americana and you'll find plenty of opportunities to incorporate it in into a classic wardrobe.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post

I assume your sweatshirt skepticism comes from a preference for classic tailoring, so I'll share a few articles from classic menswear enthusiasts articulating the virtue of a sweatshirt, particularly the grey sweatshirt.

The overall theme of these articles is that the casual aesthetic of the sweatshirt is its entire charm. And frankly, a well-maintained sweatshirt can elevate a casual outfit. My go-to look is a grey sweatshirt over a white oxford with dark wash selvedge denim pants. Depending on the weather I can pair that with either clean white leather sneakers or brown workwear boots. It's an excellent look for an afternoon walk or casual drinks at the bar with buddies.

Then there are a variety of Ivy-inspired looks that be formed. Another favorite of mine is pairing a navy sweatshirt with khaki shorts. If I want a collar or an extra layer, I'll layer a white or even pink polo underneath. For this look I can go with sneakers or boat shoes, usually the latter to emphasize the prep vibe.

All of that to say is that the sweatshirt is a timeless staple in a wardrobe. Think less athleisure and more classic Americana and you'll find plenty of opportunities to incorporate it in into a classic wardrobe.
                  I have a classic grey jersey knit crewneck sweatshirt from Lands' End from like a decade ago that is still in good shape. I wear it semi-regularly. I doubt S&M can improve upon it in terms of quality of the fabric or honestly the construction. I'm sure Lands' End still makes it and I'm sure it's still pretty nice.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I have a classic grey jersey knit crewneck sweatshirt from Lands' End from like a decade ago that is still in good shape. I wear it semi-regularly. I doubt S&M can improve upon it in terms of quality of the fabric or honestly the construction. I'm sure Lands' End still makes it and I'm sure it's still pretty nice.
                    Yeah, I like cotton sweatshirts, but I have a real hard time seeing what I’d get out of a premium version. Tailoring and shoes, I get it. Sweats and t-shirts, no.

For the tall guys out there, Goodthreads makes a solid product.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post

Yeah, I like cotton sweatshirts, but I have a real hard time seeing what I’d get out of a premium version. Tailoring and shoes, I get it. Sweats and t-shirts, no.

For the tall guys out there, Goodthreads makes a solid product.
                      Ditto. I cycle through the Uniqlo sweatshirt for $30 a pop. I’m open to jumping to SM for $50 but I’m skeptical that it’s $20 better than what I get from Uniqlo.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post

My objection is not philosophical, it is simply a matter of taste. It is also not a matter of preferring tailored clothing, classical or otherwise, rather a preference for other knits. Wearing a sweatshirt means I can't wear my sweaters that I really like.

Also, I didn't think of it, till you mentioned it, but your articles basically make it clear that sweatshirts are old fashioned athleasure. (Arguably so are sports coats so not really an argument)

Comment

Working...
                        X