No announcement yet.

Tuxedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently got a Tux, second hand. I haven't worn it yet, but I will wear it to a wedding and plan to make opportunities for it. Now all these "opportunities" will be opportunities where I could have worn a suit or maybe even no jacket at all.

Comment

I have a very dark grey and a very dark navy peak lapel suit which I've worn to formal events for the last few years. We were being invited to enough of them that I finally decided it was time to own a tuxedo. Most of these events are by invitation of my wife's company founder and I felt a bit more respectful toward him in honoring the dress code. So, after getting away without a tux for many decades, I spent a few grand, had 3 sessions with my tailor to get it right, brought my nice, new tux home and started shopping for shoes. That was February of 2020! LOL!!! Maybe someday......... sigh

Comment

Also, something to add, with a Tux there are extra costs. It depends on what assessor's you want. Possibly you have to buy a shirt, cufflinks, studs, cummerbund, bowtie, suspenders and shoes. I suggest at minimum buying a evening shirt, cufflinks and the bowtie.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
          Also, something to add, with a Tux there are extra costs. It depends on what assessor's you want. Possibly you have to buy a shirt, cufflinks, studs, cummerbund, bowtie, suspenders and shoes. I suggest at minimum buying a evening shirt, cufflinks and the bowtie.

The added fun of accessories being that you can have stuff made if you want. I sent off a piece of lapis I brought home from one of my trips to Afghanistan and had it turned into cufflinks and studs, and there was a lot left over so Mrs. got a pendant for a necklace.
          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
            I have a lot of "black tie" related wear. I also find opportunities to wear it.

Even just going out to dinner, maybe not tux pants but a dinner jacket and bow tie ups the standard.

We're looking forward to embassy parties starting up again soon so we can start playin fancyschmancy again. We're doing a vow renewal in a few years in New Orleans and we may already be planning the wardrobe, me looking at a seersucker or linen tux for the day. If we end up down south once I retire (or at least hangin there a lot) then it'll come in handy for summertime schmoozin.
            Yes the one event I've ever attended since Prom that I might have felt warranted a tux, though I was fine in a suit, was a fundraiser for Children's Hospital at the Finnish Embassy in DC. If I bought a tux it might inspire me to buy tickets to the Opera or something, or go to more Embassy galas, but I probably should start buying tickets first and if I attend regularly, then invest in the tux. If something really affordable in a brand I know well comes along I might be willing to spring. They were out of my pant size in the CT sale and I don't know their suits well so it didn't seem quite worth the flyer I would be taking.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I really like the double breasted tux jacket Trevor Noah often wears to events and one advantage of a DB jacket is no need for a waistcoat or cummerbund because no shirt fabric is going to show below the jacket buttons anyway. Still need the shirt and studs, of course.
              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have a tux and pre-pandemic, I wore it about twice a year. I also have a couple of dinner jackets that I wear to parties. I love owning a tux and finding places to wear it.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post

The added fun of accessories being that you can have stuff made if you want. I sent off a piece of lapis I brought home from one of my trips to Afghanistan and had it turned into cufflinks and studs, and there was a lot left over so Mrs. got a pendant for a necklace.
                  An interesting piece with a backstory, nice.
                  ​nice.

I seen studs that weren't black for sale an ebay, but never actually seen even a picture of someone wearing them with a Tux. I would be curious if you have a picture...

Comment

An interesting piece with a backstory, nice.
                    ​nice.

I seen studs that weren't black for sale an ebay, but never actually seen even a picture of someone wearing them with a Tux. I would be curious if you have a picture...

I *ALWAYS* have a picture.

They're enormous photos and I apologize but nobody should be using dialup these days and I wanted to give a good representation--it's subtle in most lighting, they look *almost* like "regular" black ones until you get up close.

2021-04-15_07-32-08 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

2021-04-15_07-32-58 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Very nice, you are right it is subtle

Comment

About 6 years ago I had a formal black tie event to attend, so I bought a tux for about $150. Since then, I've worn it about 3-4 times/yr pre-pandemic. The years I didn't wear it for many formal events (I work in fundraising so attending galas and benefit nights are par for the course) the tux always made for a lazy yet fun Halloween costume. I didn't worry about the quality so much because I knew I was only going to wear it a few times a year. If I bought one now, I certainly would get something higher quality/pricier, but again, this is a clear case where one could consider cost-per-wear. I was also in a wedding where the groom and groomsmen wore black tuxes, but the groom decided to buy his tux just so he could look the best (since all the groomsmen tuxes were rented and couldn't be altered).

I'm also a fan of piecing a tux together by repurposing a dark suit for formal events. One could always go the dinner jacket route/dark full suit, paired with a proper tuxedo shirt, and appropriate shoes/loafers.
                        Oral B.

Comment

I own 2 black tuxedos, a midnight blue tuxedo, and a tailcoat/trousers set. I wear them 20 or 30 times a year, but that's because I'm a professional classical musician, so they're all workwear for me.

One of my black tuxes is a Charles Tyrwhitt - it's quite nice for the price. Half canvassed, grosgrain lapels and trouser stripes, good (slim) fit, and lots of nice details like a boutonniere loop and an 'after-dinner' fastening for the jacket that accomodates a heavy dinner! I think that you should get a tux if you don't have one - throw a fancy post-vaccine party for yourself and your friends so that you have an excuse to wear it!!!

Comment

First of all, I never knew there were so many professional musicians on this forum! I bought a tuxedo for my wedding maybe 5 or so years ago. Its a classic, peak lapel, black, one-button tuxedo with really classic accessories. I don't routinely wear suits to work or functions, so the tux has been worn probably 3-4 times in total at this point. One thing I read years ago, I believe it was from "The Fine Young Gentleman" was a piece of advice that read something like "buy a classic tuxedo when you're young and make sure you always fit in to it". I didn't think much of it at the time, but now looking back, I have a collection of different suits that vary in sizes that I fluctuate through, but the tuxedo serves as a good visual representation to me when I'm trying it on of changes my body goes through as I change. If its tight, I know the diet and exercise are off and I find it to be an oddly powerful motivator because I only have the one tux and I have to make it work. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by patelsd View Post
                              First of all, I never knew there were so many professional musicians on this forum!
                              Right?! I was starting to think the consensus was, if you're a professional musician then you need a few tuxes, if not don't worry about it.

I like the idea of keeping a tux around for a bit of a fitness barometer. I slip some of my older suits on from time to time, and if they're getting snug, time to cut back a bit. A former neighbor, and great friend, of mine was a former U.S. Navy Captain, who used his old navy uniform for the same reason. Always thought that was cool.

I think clothes fit can actually tell you more than the scale at times.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post

Right?! I was starting to think the consensus was, if you're a professional musician then you need a few tuxes, if not don't worry about it.

I like the idea of keeping a tux around for a bit of a fitness barometer. I slip some of my older suits on from time to time, and if they're getting snug, time to cut back a bit. A former neighbor, and great friend, of mine was a former U.S. Navy Captain, who used his old navy uniform for the same reason. Always thought that was cool.

I think clothes fit can actually tell you more than the scale at times.
                                Since none of my orchestras have been performing during the pandemic, my tuxes are also a 'fitness barometer' of sorts - I have to make sure I still fit into them when the gigs start happening again!

Actually, some friends and I are planning to have a black tie party to celebrate everyone getting vaccinated. We're all going to get dressed up in the fancy clothes we've had no reason to wear, just because we can!

Comment

Working...
                                X