Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drocpsu
    replied
    Old jeans or (*gasp*) cargo shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, or an old, beater long-sleeved henley in the cooler months. You're getting dirty who cares about trying to look stylish?

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    jcrew tech chinos, 32 degree cool long sleeve, adidas drifit hat, chuck taylors. My yard is a hot mess so pants and sleeves are required. I got these on clearance for $7 and they have a handy little slim cargo pocket.

Leave a comment:

• ac6
    replied
    Just old clothes. If it's warm out, old t-shirt, chino shorts, old-ass Birkenstock Bostons that live on the patio. If it's cooler out, probably still a t-shirt, but old levi's 501s and Blundstones. If your old clothes still fit you well, you'll still look fine. It's when you wear stonewashed jeans from Costco and Nike Air Monarchs that you get that frumpy dad look.

Leave a comment:

• 6string
    replied
    If it is hot out and I'm doing yard work I'm usually in dry fit/athletic wear with my retired running shoes (when I get a new pair of running shoes I keep my previous pair as my yard shoes). In colder months its an old pair of jeans and old long sleeve t-shirt layered with a fleece if needed and LL Bean boots. If I'm doing painting or other house projects that could possibly ruin my athletic clothes, its the old jeans and t-shirt.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post

So you're au naturel other than the beer can holster? I feel kind of sorry for the neighbors.
    Just letting his inner Arthur Morgan out to play a little.

(Dirty Arty chapter 8 on youtube, the fun starts around 4 minutes in)

Leave a comment:

• Galcobar
    replied
    Originally posted by CK83 View Post
    I was actually waxing my car (a rarity) a few weeks ago, thinking it was a relatively safe task from a clothes perspective, and spilled a bit of wax on my pants and shoe. Luckily the pants were some old sweatpants, but the shoes were relatively new Nikes. The wax definitely didn't come out all of the way, even after multiple washes. Still miffed about it.
    May I ask what you used to wash the shoes? Laundry detergents aren't particularly effective at breaking down carnauba wax, never mind the more recent synthetic polymer or acrylic sealants often mislabelled as wax. Dish detergent is a good way to strip all three, however (though despite popular claims should not be used on car paint because it also promotes oxidization). Hydrogen peroxide (in solution or in powder form such as Oxi-clean) also works well, though you have to be wary of potential bleaching.
    Last edited by Galcobar; April 14, 2021, 03:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CK83
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post

So you're au naturel other than the beer can holster? I feel kind of sorry for the neighbors.
    A scary mental image to be sure! When they look over the fence in disgust I usually just yell sorry for partying.

But in all honesty, I usually wear something weather appropriate, that I really don't care if I destroy. I was actually waxing my car (a rarity) a few weeks ago, thinking it was a relatively safe task from a clothes perspective, and spilled a bit of wax on my pants and shoe. Luckily the pants were some old sweatpants, but the shoes were relatively new Nikes. The wax definitely didn't come out all of the way, even after multiple washes. Still miffed about it.

Wear something comfortable that you won't get miffed about destroying.

Leave a comment:

• ryn
    replied
    It depends on the actual work and the weather. I used to wear old jeans, but often find them too warm in summer. So I sometimes wore old sport clothes.

I have noticed in Europe they wear specialized clothing for work, I have tried it because now I have an apartment.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by CK83 View Post
    I usually wear my beer can holster belt. It can hold up to a six pack, but I find that holstering just two at a time allows for maximum range of motion and the beer stays colder that way.

Leave a comment:

• CK83
    replied
    I usually wear my beer can holster belt. It can hold up to a six pack, but I find that holstering just two at a time allows for maximum range of motion and the beer stays colder that way.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by motosacto View Post
    All of the best fades over at Heddels are submitter by people who do actual work in them. Might as well break in your expensive rigid jeans, new work boots, belts, etc., with actual work...
    I agree to some extent too. These pants I was talking about were canvas chino work pants...I'm not that bummed that they got permanently stained but don't wear them much other than to work in the yard or other work type stuff I do. If I'm trying to fade a pair of jeans I don't mind doing work in them - I just steer clear of anything involving stuff that will stain permanently to the extent possible - stuff that involves grease or anything that will actually dye clothing. Dirt, sawdust, masonry dust, that stuff all washes out. Besides while jeans used to be workwear these days they're pretty much casual wear not work wear specific. When wearing casually people aren't always going for something with maximum high contrast fades.

Leave a comment:

• tankerjohn
    replied
    Originally posted by motosacto View Post
    All of the best fades over at Heddels are submitter by people who do actual work in them. Might as well break in your expensive rigid jeans, new work boots, belts, etc., with actual work...
    Yeah, that's true to an extent. I agree that "work wear" looks better with some wear and tear and shouldn't be treated like a delicate mohair suit. But personally, I exercise discretion to avoid trashing my clothes that I want to wear in public, even if my fades aren't quite as "sick" as they could be. See mark4's post above. There's "working" in your jeans, boots, etc. And then there's working that involves ripping, staining, sweating, abrasion, mud, grease, rocks, etc. Plus, there are purely functional considerations that aren't particularly stylish, like my preference for bibs.

Leave a comment:

• motosacto
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Depends on what time of day it is. I have a pair of chinos - well technically I guess you can call them cargo pants because they have one low profile cargo pocket on one of the legs but they have articulated, reinforced knees. They're olive drab and I used to wear them casually but last summer was wearing them while putting down some mulch...you know how mulch comes in different colors? Well they only had black mulch and what I didn't realize is that stuff permanently stains. So now I have grey streaks and blotches all over those pants, so that's what I wear when doing yard work. I usually wear a beater (i.e. too worn out to otherwise wear) t shirt - either long or short sleeved depending on what I'm doing and how hot it is. Sometimes a beater button up shirt of some sort. Footwear is either a pair of Thorogood work boots (moc toe wedge sole) or an old pair of sneakers. If it's after 6, I wear a tux because...

Leave a comment:

• tankerjohn
    replied
    I am definitely NOT dappered while doing yard work, but don't really care. For that matter, if I need to dash out to Home Depot in the middle of a project, I don't bother dappering up for that either. I do like functional clothing like shirts with a lot of pockets and bib overalls with a lot of pockets. Did I mention I like a lot of pockets when I'm doing jobs around the house? Oh, my only other rule of thumb is to never mow or weedwack in shoes I don't want to turn green.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X