Looking for Military/Field Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Military/Field Shirt

So i've been looking for a vintage military/field style shirt but everything I've come across is either baggy and goofy looking (looking at you LL Bean/Orvis) or it's some garbage Chinese brand. I've attached a photo for what I'm looking for (slim fit and untucked look required, none of that logo nonsense either), though this specific shirt from Military1st (what even is that?) has bad reviews (probably Chinese garbage).

Let me know your thoughts Dappered Crew!

Looks like something Alex Mill would make a version of. Also seems like something one of the Huckberry brands would maybe do.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
      Looks like something Alex Mill would make a version of. Also seems like something one of the Huckberry brands would maybe do.
      Funny you say that cause I looked at both but have yet to find a slim fitting shirt (most of these types of shirts are standard fit, more boxy). Having a more athletic build (broad shoulders, narrow waist) makes it difficult to find a shirt that doesn't look billowy. I've had some luck with Bonobos tapered fit but yet to find a more rugged looking shirt in that fit.

Comment

I have never had a shirt tailored, but that is an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Coindmagnate View Post

Funny you say that cause I looked at both but have yet to find a slim fitting shirt (most of these types of shirts are standard fit, more boxy). Having a more athletic build (broad shoulders, narrow waist) makes it difficult to find a shirt that doesn't look billowy. I've had some luck with Bonobos tapered fit but yet to find a more rugged looking shirt in that fit.
          Roomier fits are coming back into vogue so it's getting tougher to find slim fit stuff. That said, if it fits in the shoulders a decent seamstress or tailor can take a shirt in through the torso and even slim up the sleeves - I've had it done. It's an extra expense but usually not that much money at a regular dry cleaner that does alterations - maybe $15-$20 a shirt. J Crew sometimes stocks something similar but I haven't checked whether they're doing something like that this year.

The Alex Mill version is on sale for $40 a pop at Nordstrom Rack - I saw it on their website last summer but it doesn't look like they brought it back this year. Another place to check is REI - I got a decent fitting field shirt from them a couple springs ago - it's a synthetic fabric rather than cotton and probably that's what most of their shirts in that motif are going to be because they're more for hiking and other outdoorsy stuff and less for fashion.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I also think tailoring is going to be your best bet. The problem is lots of companies who make the field shirts who aren’t cheap are also geared towards outdoors types who like a more flexible fit. That being said Duluth trading company might have something close to the what you want, not cheap or Bass Pro shop.
            My biggest suggestion is pull up google map search army surplus stores and look at the pictures people have posted to make sure it’s not mostly a gun store. The ones who lean gun store usually have lot less clothes.

Comment

Originally posted by jvargas View Post
              I also think tailoring is going to be your best bet. The problem is lots of companies who make the field shirts who aren’t cheap are also geared towards outdoors types who like a more flexible fit. That being said Duluth trading company might have something close to the what you want, not cheap or Bass Pro shop.
              My biggest suggestion is pull up google map search army surplus stores and look at the pictures people have posted to make sure it’s not mostly a gun store. The ones who lean gun store usually have lot less clothes.
              Army-navy surplus might be worth a shot. Basically what you're looking for is the shirt that comes with standard issue army fatigues. Although getting a slim fit may again be a tall order as a lot of military stuff is built with room to move for obvious reasons.

Comment

If you are willing to pay premium, there is always Todd Snyder, e.g.,

https://www.toddsnyder.com/collectio...irt-camouflage

or Ralph Lauren, e.g.,

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clot...on-down-shirts

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clot...on-down-shirts

J.Crew makes a bunch of military-adjacent shirts that tend to be slim-ish. Wallace and Barnes in particular is worth a look.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...e=desert-olive

None of this is exactly what you posted, but there are likely other items that may be closer...
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Army-navy surplus might be worth a shot. Basically what you're looking for is the shirt that comes with standard issue army fatigues. Although getting a slim fit may again be a tall order as a lot of military stuff is built with room to move for obvious reasons.
                  It's worth a shot, but I wouldn't expect to find an actual issue shirt like this. BDU blouses (and their derivatives) are usually long sleeve, with 4 pockets (chest and hip) and rarely have epaulets.

You might want to search for a "safari" shirt, that might get you close to what you're looking for.

Comment

Working...
                  X