So baggy pants are back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryn View Post
    What do you like? That is what I want to know.
    I like straight-leg, regular fit jeans like the Levi 501s that will always be stylish

Comment

I think you might care when all your favorite fit pants are suddenly too big.
      I'm not sure what you mean by this: that I won't be able to buy what I like?

Comment

Let’s not act like joggers and/or slim and extra slim pants are timeless. Time for the pendulum to begin swinging back the other way, and eventually we’ll get too far that way again and start heading back towards tight pants again.

Comment

Personally I think those look terrible. But that's just one man's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by the passenger View Post

I'm not sure what you mean by this: that I won't be able to buy what I like?
            Often companies adjust fit to follow trends. Really trending companies will stop selling skinny jeans, others will loosen up all their fits. Levi even does this with their 501s. It probably won't be a big change, but it will be noticable for those who pay attention. It is kinda like "a rising tide raises all boats" sort of thing.

It is good to be aware in which way the trends are going. We reached peak tightness a few years back, and the clothes already started to loosen up. I am not sure if skinny jeans will disappear, but probably they will from fast fashion places and will be harder to find. We are a long way from peak wideness, but we have entered a new stage. At lot of the "relaxed fit" or so called "dad jeans" from the fashion forward brands, look to me to be comparable to a straight or even a slim cut from other brands. However, these wide leg pants are something else, and potentially could shift what people consider normal to something that it looser. It is possible that they will be a flop though, like short suits.🤷
            ​​​​​​
            So far there have been no sightings in the wild, I have only seen women wearing wide pants. It also isn't just pants, Uniqlo has oversized blazers. I think it is a real possibility that it becomes hard to buy a cheap slim fit blazer.

Comment

If flared = boot cut, I approve.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc99 View Post
                Let’s not act like joggers and/or slim and extra slim pants are timeless. Time for the pendulum to begin swinging back the other way, and eventually we’ll get too far that way again and start heading back towards tight pants again.
                I never, ever said joggers are timeless. I'm not against anyone wearing them but they are definitely trend rather than eternal style, if there even is anything that qualifies as eternal style. I think clothing that fits - not too tight and not too loose - is as close to timeless as it's possible to get, but am willing to acknowledge that when the fashion pendulum swings too far in one direction or another even that stuff can look a little off-trend.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I never, ever said joggers are timeless. I'm not against anyone wearing them but they are definitely trend rather than eternal style, if there even is anything that qualifies as eternal style. I think clothing that fits - not too tight and not too loose - is as close to timeless as it's possible to get, but am willing to acknowledge that when the fashion pendulum swings too far in one direction or another even that stuff can look a little off-trend.
                  Off trend, but not bad.

Comment

We had relaxed fit jeans all through the aughts, they were just derided as "Dad jeans". I'm sure that Levi's will still keep selling 511's and 513's even as fuller fits come back into style and there will be some sub-group that will continue to embrace the slim jean look. In the 90's, tight Wranglers were very much "on trend" in Western wear circles. Check out some country music videos from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                      We had relaxed fit jeans all through the aughts, they were just derided as "Dad jeans". I'm sure that Levi's will still keep selling 511's and 513's even as fuller fits come back into style and there will be some sub-group that will continue to embrace the slim jean look. In the 90's, tight Wranglers were very much "on trend" in Western wear circles. Check out some country music videos from that era.
                      Yes, Levi specializes in jeans and has a wide variety available. So while they will probably adjust their fits, they will probably keep there fits. Of course, they might not be sold by as many stores. H &M will probably stop selling skinny jeans though.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                        If flared = boot cut, I approve.
                        Boot cut is not necessarily bad. I'm not sure how it works with relaxed fit - in the '70s era boot cut heyday they were worn fairly snug (not relaxed fit) and flared at the bottom. In the '90s relaxed through the seat and thigh and tapered at the bottom was really popular - so roomy up top and somewhat slimmer at the bottom. Starting out roomy up top and then getting further flared on the bottom seems like A LOT of extra fabric flapping around the ankles.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Yes, Levi specializes in jeans and has a wide variety available. So while they will probably adjust their fits, they will probably keep there fits. Of course, they might not be sold by as many stores. H &M will probably stop selling skinny jeans though.
                          I wore 501s for a couple decades straight and then gave up on them because Levis's quality control got so bad I could never figure out which size to buy - like two different pairs of 501s in the exact same size would fit completely differently, so eventually I gave up on them because I got tired of having to try several pairs on in the same size just to find the one that fit. This was circa 2006 so maybe things have improved for them since then.

Comment

Levi seems to have some sort of "Designer" status now. More like Nike or Carhartt than PRL, not quite the thing that would lead to an increase in QC if they didn't have it before.

Comment

I’ve been happy with the last several pairs of Levi’s I’ve purchased. Quality seems fine for the price. I’m sure that vanity sizing has gotten more pronounced since 2006. That seems to be a trend. Apparently, from what I’ve read, some stores do a better job of verifying the QC than others, so that can be a factor. I want to say there’s a “how to” on Reddit that gets into the nerdy details. I’m certainly not going to claim that Levi’s are the end all and be all of jeans. But in my experience, they are a step up from other budget brands. And I have heard the “premium” made in the USA ones are really good, especially if you can get them on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                                I’ve been happy with the last several pairs of Levi’s I’ve purchased. Quality seems fine for the price. I’m sure that vanity sizing has gotten more pronounced since 2006. That seems to be a trend. Apparently, from what I’ve read, some stores do a better job of verifying the QC than others, so that can be a factor. I want to say there’s a “how to” on Reddit that gets into the nerdy details. I’m certainly not going to claim that Levi’s are the end all and be all of jeans. But in my experience, they are a step up from other budget brands. And I have heard the “premium” made in the USA ones are really good, especially if you can get them on sale.
                                Levis makes a decent pair of jeans at a reasonable price. I just got tired of trying to figure out which size would fit me. My jeans these days are from Banana Republic (sizing is consistent) and DSTLD Denim - they're an online only retailer and their jeans are decent value too and again, I can figure out which size I am then order with confidence because different pairs in the same size and cut will fit the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X