So baggy pants are back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So baggy pants are back

Oversized is a new trend word. I have seen wide flared jeans in a store window, it seems clear that the future is here, or maybe the past. There is nothing new under the sun. But what do you think about it? Especially since Dapper ed's motto is "Style is forever"?

Originally posted by ryn View Post
    Oversized is a new trend word. I have seen wide flared jeans in a store window, it seems clear that the future is here, or maybe the past. There is nothing new under the sun. But what do you think about it? Especially since Dapper ed's motto is "Style is forever"?
    This doesnt surprise me. I saw a Levi's email ad come in last week that said something about getting the flare. I rolled my eyes at the thought of flare legged jeans coming back again and promptly deleted it.

Comment

If you like them, try them; if not, who cares? Wear what you like. There are all sorts of style items that are "popular" but that I choose to ignore, either because I don't like them or I know they wouldn't look good on me.

Comment

This has been happening. I feel like all the fashion trends from the late '80s into the early '90s (when I was in college basically) are coming back. Actually flared jeans were not in then but "relaxed fit" was the rage, people wore baggier, fuller cut clothing and tie dye was experiencing its first come-back since the original hippie era heyday. Honestly there is a platonic ideal for clothing fit that one loses sight of when chasing the trends of the day. Things probably got a little too slim there for a while but I am definitely not really feeling the baggy look that is coming in...it just looks so sloppy. I don't mind somewhat fuller cut than the past several years, but still fits. What Justin Bieber is wearing these days (he is considered a trend setter in certain circles) I am not at all feeling and couldn't pull it off at my age anyway. He looks like a refugee from 1993 to be honest.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by the passenger View Post
          If you like them, try them; if not, who cares? Wear what you like. There are all sorts of style items that are "popular" but that I choose to ignore, either because I don't like them or I know they wouldn't look good on me.
          I think you might care when all your favorite fit pants are suddenly too big.

Comment

STYLE is forever, not fashion. Skinny jeans and baggy jeans go in and out of fashion, but straight-leg, regular fit jeans like the Levi 501s will always be stylish.

Comment

Fashionable style is a pendulum, swinging back and forth throughout the decades. The early 2010s had skinny jeans and small lapel suits. Now we're swinging back towards relaxed fit, comfortable clothing that's not so tight. It's not baggy, although some styles might choose that. Comfort is king right now. That's why you're seeing so much athleisure and stretch fabrics.

Anyone remember when Joe and us Dappered O.G.s used to poo poo on athleisure and joggers? Yeah, now I own some and have been seriously looking hard at Lululemon.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
                Fashionable style is a pendulum, swinging back and forth throughout the decades. The early 2010s had skinny jeans and small lapel suits. Now we're swinging back towards relaxed fit, comfortable clothing that's not so tight. It's not baggy, although some styles might choose that. Comfort is king right now. That's why you're seeing so much athleisure and stretch fabrics.

Anyone remember when Joe and us Dappered O.G.s used to poo poo on athleisure and joggers? Yeah, now I own some and have been seriously looking hard at Lululemon.
                Relaxed to an extent is more comfortable than too tight for sure. But it can go too far. Too relaxed and there's a bunch of extra fabric flapping around your legs with every step, and clothing stops insulating well if it gets too loose because there's too much draftiness/heat leak, too much billowing as you move which forces air out of those draft points, and too much space for body heat to fill up before it leaks out. Maybe OK for summer but it's sub-optimal in the winter. Too tight is also sub optimal too.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Relaxed to an extent is more comfortable than too tight for sure. But it can go too far. Too relaxed and there's a bunch of extra fabric flapping around your legs with every step, and clothing stops insulating well if it gets too loose because there's too much draftiness/heat leak, too much billowing as you move which forces air out of those draft points, and too much space for body heat to fill up before it leaks out. Maybe OK for summer but it's sub-optimal in the winter. Too tight is also sub optimal too.
                  Most people into menswear or fashion aren't trying to min max air flow or insulation, they're shooting for a specific aesthetic or design. Lots of people are now wearing super baggy or loose clothes because they like that.

Comment

You guys are just a bunch of know it all's with no opinions of your own. We all know that fashion follows cycles, we know that people follow fashions. If you are worried about being seen als intolerant, then don't worry about what other people wear. What do you like? That is what I want to know.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

Most people into menswear or fashion aren't trying to min max air flow or insulation, they're shooting for a specific aesthetic or design. Lots of people are now wearing super baggy or loose clothes because they like that.
                        I get that. I lived through the roomy fits of the '90s and sported them myself. Although, people start to care a little about that stuff when they start wondering why they're freezing their asses off . Chasing extreme trends is a recipe for looking dated - there's a difference between trendy and stylish. Stylish can be accomplished with full cut clothing. Go beyond full cut into doesn't fit and it might be on trend right now but you'll want to hide those pictures a decade later. But in the end, hey, if you want to look trendy and that means baggy fits? I have no problem with anyone who decides to chase that particular trend du jour. I won't be, but if I were 30 years younger I'd probably be jumping on the current trends to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                          I keep seeing those cropped-at-the-ankle pants (some tapered with pleats, some not) for sale on websites but have yet to see anyone wearing them in real life on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I keep seeing those cropped-at-the-ankle pants (some tapered with pleats, some not) for sale on websites but have yet to see anyone wearing them in real life on the street.
                            This is what happens when our baggy pants from the 90s make babies with the cropped skinny pants of the past decade.

I don't love the baggy + no break look. How many times will I have to see it before I convince myself otherwise

Comment

Tell me when JNCO Jeans are back in style...

Comment

Working...
                              X