Leather Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leather Jackets

Hey all. I want to buy a nice leather jacket. I took a shot at the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket and struck out. The fit just didn't work and the color was disappointing in person. Now I'm looking at a custom Aero Leathers jacket. I'm leaning toward their 1930s Half Belt design. It's classic, timeless, and I think it will fit my build pretty well. Aero fits seem to be all over the place, but Thurston Bros is their US vendor and they offer a "fit jacket" to test out sizing. My question for you all... have any of you ordered a jacket this way, or have any personal experience with Aero/Thurston?

Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
    Hey all. I want to buy a nice leather jacket. I took a shot at the Taylor Stitch Moto Jacket and struck out. The fit just didn't work and the color was disappointing in person. Now I'm looking at a custom Aero Leathers jacket. I'm leaning toward their 1930s Half Belt design. It's classic, timeless, and I think it will fit my build pretty well. Aero fits seem to be all over the place, but Thurston Bros is their US vendor and they offer a "fit jacket" to test out sizing. My question for you all... have any of you ordered a jacket this way, or have any personal experience with Aero/Thurston?
    No experience with those, but I have a few Schott jackets and recommend them.

Comment

I've taken the dive, so I'll document my experience here for posterity.

First off, kudos to Taylor Stitch customer service. When I returned the moto jacket it look over 2 weeks to get back to CA, then got stuck in a FedEx hub for another week. I reached out to support to ask them if it was maybe delivered and just not scanned. They apologized for the delay and escalated my return to a manager. Within 3 days I was refunded for the jacket. As of yesterday, the jacket was still lost in FedEx-world.

On to the current adventure... After looking through Aero's jacket designs I favored the 1930s Half-Belt and the Highwayman designs. I emailed Thurston Bros with some questions about the fits (I'm a barbell lifter/coach so have bigger arms and shoulders). Carrie replied promptly and was very helpful with my questions and even suggested an additional style to check out. This was all back in early March. A few weeks ago, once I received my refund from TS, I emailed Carrie again and asked her how I could start the custom order process for an Aero 1930s Half-Belt. She was very quick to respond and sent an involce for the base price of the jacket, plus $35 to cover the shipping of a fit jacket to assess sizing. I paid the invoice and asked what the next steps were. She asked for my weight, height and chest measurement, which I provided. She checked her inventory for a jacket to send as a fit jacket but didn't have anything in stock. She let me know that she had an Aero Sunburst inbound from Scotland in a size 44 and had reserved that as my fit jacket. The Sunburst uses the same template as the 30s Half Belt but differs in the details. She also asked which leathers I was interested in. Aero offers a number of different leather types including horsehide, steerhide and goat in a number of color options. I know I'm going with a brown shade, but haven't decided which one or which type of leather so Carrie is going to send samples of all the brown options with the fit jacket.

She just emailed me while I was typing this to let me know that the fit jacket arrived and that she was getting it packed for me. I'll update when it arrives.

Comment

Thanks for following up with this, it's appreciated when threads aren't left dangling as a partially-answered question.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
          Thanks for following up with this, it's appreciated when threads aren't left dangling as a partially-answered question.
          Thanks. I hope it helps someone later. I don't like searching for an answer, and finding that someone has already asked the question but no answer was given.

Anyway, the fit jacket is on it's way. How about some pictures? Everyone likes pictures. Here is the 1930's Half Belt:

So this is the model I'm getting, unless there is something terribly incompatible between it and my body. I believe the pictures show it in brown Chromexcel front quarter horsehide, which is potentially the leather and color I'll be going with unless one of the other samples looks better. The fit jacket that I'm being sent is Tobacco Badalassi cowhide, which looks a little too red in pictures for my taste but we'll see.

Here is the Tobacco Badalassi:

Comment

Schott's always a good solid option.

I went with a Gustin but the sizing and the wait definitely don't work for a lot of folks. In all fairness, I think that was my last purchase from them and probably will remain that way.

It's FANTASTIC, don't get me wrong. I *LOVE* the jacket and it looks great on me. But I'm just not keen on the wait anymore really. I'm old I could drop any day, need my stuff. :P
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
              Schott's always a good solid option.

I went with a Gustin but the sizing and the wait definitely don't work for a lot of folks. In all fairness, I think that was my last purchase from them and probably will remain that way.

It's FANTASTIC, don't get me wrong. I *LOVE* the jacket and it looks great on me. But I'm just not keen on the wait anymore really. I'm old I could drop any day, need my stuff. :P
              I looked at Schott but liked Aero's styles better. I like Gustin for t-shirts and accessories (I have one of their briefcases), but that's it. Their models are all underfed and that's the body type they seem to design for. That's a no buano for me. If it's not athletic fit, it probably isn't going to work.

The lead time on the Aero is 6-8 weeks, but I'm willing to wait if it gets me the fit I need and all of the details I want.

Comment

No flies on Aero's gear either.

Gustin's made in cali so they're probably all vegans or something horrifying like that.

Comment

I had an excellent experience buying a custom-fit leather motorcycle jacket from Fox Creek Leather - https://www.foxcreekleather.com/. American-made, excellent leather, very reasonable prices, and exquisite customer service. It fits like a suit of armor - it IS a suit of armor. This thing is super heavy duty for actual cycling. Now that I don't ride, I don't wear it as much because it is so heavy. But it does look awesome! Anyway, that might not be what you're looking for. But I thought I'd throw it out there anyway since Fox Creek is a great company. As an aside, their gloves are great too and also very competitively priced for American-made leather.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                    No flies on Aero's gear either.

Gustin's made in cali so they're probably all vegans or something horrifying like that.
                    That reminds me, vegan leather, is that made from vegan cows or do people donate their skin to save a cow?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post

That reminds me, vegan leather, is that made from vegan cows or do people donate their skin to save a cow?
                      I like to think vegans sacrifice themselves.

I have a feeling that's not how it really works. Probably just plastic. :P

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post

Damn, you're right! Cows ARE vegan. Huh, never thought about that way.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

Damn, you're right! Cows ARE vegan. Huh, never thought about that way.
                          Not all cows are vegan, calves are often given milk, for example. I also think mad cow disease came from feeding cow brains to cows.

Comment

The fit jacket arrived last week. I'm behind with this update, eh.

Some pics: This is the Aero Sunburst in Tobacco Badalassi leather.

The leather was very glossy, and rather squeaky. I was also sent a number of leather samples and lining samples, which unfortunately I didn't think to photograph.

The fit of the jacket was ok. It was a little on the long side in the body, but fit well in the chest. Carrie suggested that we shorten the sleeves and body slightly to allow for better drape.

The specs I've selected for my jacket are:
                            • Brown Chromexcel Front Quarter Horse Hide (FQHH)
                            • Olive stitching throughout
                            • Olive cotton drill lining
                            • Olive sateen sleeve lining
                            • Brown horn buttons at cuffs
                            • Antique brass hardware
                            • Added a 6"x6" patch pocket to the interior on the right side
                            It will look similar to this jacket as far as colors:

Comment

Striking colour combination. It's funny how maroons, which are themselves so distinctive, can go with pretty much any other colour. Suppose that's why they're popular for men's shoes too.

Comment

Working...
                              X