Size up: BR Tailored Blazers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size up: BR Tailored Blazers.

Last year, I bought a charcoal colored "Tailored" fit blazer. It was so tight that I could not raise my arms and I had to return it. The Threads forums told me that that was a characteristic of that particular jacket. I'm about to order this: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...eID=brafcid105, as recommended on the $1500 wardrobe post. Should I size up? My local BR never carries any long sizes, so I can't try it on in the store.

The tailored fit line does fit slim. I am able to wear my true chest size (38R), but I know many other suggest sizing up.

Comment

I would NOT recommend sizing up. I think they fit true. I just bought a 40R, which is my size

Comment

I thrifted a 40 S in the black cord blazer. It works well (I wear 38-39 S in Brooks Brothers, etc., but 40 S in J Crew and BR). I'm actually wearing it right now. And I saved, um, 97%.

Comment

There was a problem with the cuts of the Tailored fit lines from the beginnings of 2011. I am a 39.5 and the 40R was super tight. Since then, the cut is much better and I have two 40R tailored fits that are perfect

Comment

I considered ordering both sizes, but making returns is a bit of a pain. I'm an hour away from the nearest BR. I'm going to try the 40L and hope it fits to size. Thanks, for the quick responses.

Comment

I bought the same blazer Friday with the 50% off coupon. Tried it on in store and the chest size was true to size (for me at least). I usually wear a 44L but bought a 44R because the sleeve and overall length were both where I wanted them.

Comment

I stopped by the store on Saturday and tried a 38R in a tailored fit. The fit is snug, but not overly so (in my opinion). I'm a 41" chest off the tape, and typically wear a 40R. For those interested, this is the jacket I bought:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=905579002

The 38R fits me much slimmer than how it appears on the model.

Comment

only the taupe tweed you need to size up. For me I'd rather keep it and have it unbuttoned, than size up and mess up the other dimensions. If you take a look at the pic online, you can see how closely cut it is, especially for being BR

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=428196002

Comment

I have the same jacket as frost - usually wear a 42R (a big bit on me) but wear a 40R. It is a wonderful jacket.

Comment

I own a few BR Tailored Fit blazers and I wouldn't suggest sizing up. They are a "tailored" fit blazer, meaning more slim than a traditional fit. They fit true to size.
                      "One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                      #StayDapper

Comment

Originally posted by Margotron View Post
                        I have the same jacket as frost - usually wear a 42R (a big bit on me) but wear a 40R. It is a wonderful jacket.
                        Good to hear. I'm still debating whether or not the 38R is too tight. Standing still, it looks like a perfect fit, but doing the "hug test" makes the sleeves bunch in such a way, that I might be able to tear them off with some concentrated effort. No way I'm getting a sweater under there either..

Comment

I wear a 38R or 39R in most brands (Brooks Brothers, Suit Supply) but I wear a 40R in BR's tailored fit. The measurements of BR's 40R tailored fit are similar to Suit Supply's 38R in the Napoli cut.

Comment

Working...
                          X