Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navy Blazer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Navy Blazer

    I don't have a navy blazer and don't really need one, but I want to buy one. The thing is, I would never wear one at work because I don't work at an office and wear a uniform anyway and my social group is rather informal anyway. So I guess what I am looking for is something flexible leaning casual. Any suggestions?

    #2
    Hopsack or knit.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

    Comment


      #3
      Is there a difference between a knitted blazer and a sweater blazer and a cardigan with lapels?

      Comment


        #4
        technically, yes.....functionally, eh still sorta yes but less yes than the former.

        cardigan with lapels is likely to have more buttons.

        knitted blazer is often not made of wool, sweater blazers tend to be.
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

        Comment


          #5
          I love a navy blazer as much as the next guy, but honestly, I think a brown sport coat is more versatile. A camel or dark brown jacket looks great with jeans, chinos, cords and dress trousers, in most any color that doesn't match it directly. If I only had one tailored jacket to cover the whole range of casual to semi-formal situations, that would be it. The blazer, on the otherhand... I don't know. I know people wear them with dark denim, but it always looks wrong to me. The colors are too close, and the levels of formality are too far apart. Blue dress trousers are totally out; matching(ish) top and bottom that aren't really a suit is never a good look. Khaki chinos - sure that's a classic look. Maybe too classic. Heavy overtones of "preppy" or "old man", and maybe both, if you don't nail the details. Off-white or white trousers get looking very "yacht club". So that really just leaves mid-gray pants as the most solid pairing. I think it looks great done right, but kind of limiting from a wardrobe perspective. Those are just my thoughts, maybe biased around what looks good on me. I will fully admit there are plenty of looks I couldn't pull off in a million years.

          If you DO decide to get a navy blazer, I'd look for one with as timeless a cut as possible, similar to what you'd want in a navy suit. Not too slim, not too full, mid-size lapels, you know the deal. You want less structure if you want to lean casual. I recommend gunmetal or matte-finished brass buttons for a more modern vibe. The shiny brass is really what sends a blazer into nautical, preppy, old man land. Now, if that's an intentional look, hey go for it! It can also be cool to add your own buttons, particularly if they signal some kind of familial or organizational affiliation. But that's getting next level. I can't say I have any particular brand to recommend. One cool thing about navy blazers is that everyone makes one, so you can go with a label that you already know fits well OTR or go MTM.

          Comment


            #6
            Get the Spier & Mackay navy hopsack sport coat. You will never regret it. You can dress it down with jeans, t-Shirt or a polo shirt. It has some texture and patch pockets so it is not as formal. It will last you forever and you will be glad you had it when you need to look sharp https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...005-1533-22152
            Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

            Comment


              #7
              Check the Dappered Essentials shop
              https://dappered.com/2019/02/the-dap...sentials-shop/

              Comment


                #8
                Here's the first one I bought. I found I like the fit and the look, and I have since invested in some nicer sportcoats but still wear this one occasionally. It's so inexpensive it might be a good one to try out to see if you enjoy wearing a sportcoat, or do so frequently enough to warrant an upgrade. Hope it helps.

                https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/nord...ICRO%20TEXTURE


                Edit: The one I have is no longer available it seems - it is a "trim fit" but N.R. has a bunch under $70 that you could choose from.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I wear this one constantly. Informal but takes outfits up a notch. Cheap enough you can beat the hell out of it.

                  https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/search?...ickView=426043

                  Comment


                    #10
                    What’s your budget?

                    I love my LBM cotton sport coat that I picked up off of Yoox for <$200. I also love my Suit Supply hopsack and could easily recommend S&M as I have other sport coats from them.

                    Since you are leaning more casual, I say start with a cotton sport coat. something with a texture like this:

                    https://mobile.yoox.com/us/49425480K...eId=&sizeName=


                    the tricky part will be sizing if you don’t have something to compare it to. I would definitely stay away from the inexpensive polyester options that have been mentioned. Go wool or cotton.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                      The blazer, on the otherhand... I don't know. I know people wear them with dark denim, but it always looks wrong to me. The colors are too close, and the levels of formality are too far apart. Blue dress trousers are totally out; matching(ish) top and bottom that aren't really a suit is never a good look. Khaki chinos - sure that's a classic look. Maybe too classic. Heavy overtones of "preppy" or "old man", and maybe both, if you don't nail the details. Off-white or white trousers get looking very "yacht club".
                      I don't think I would wear it with dark denim, contrast is good, which is why the navy with white pants look looks so good, and probably is reason enough to join a yacht club. I would probably wear it with bright chinos and not worry about being preppy.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                        What’s your budget?

                        I love my LBM cotton sport coat that I picked up off of Yoox for <$200. I also love my Suit Supply hopsack and could easily recommend S&M as I have other sport coats from them.

                        Since you are leaning more casual, I say start with a cotton sport coat. something with a texture like this:

                        https://mobile.yoox.com/us/49425480K...eId=&sizeName=


                        the tricky part will be sizing if you don’t have something to compare it to. I would definitely stay away from the inexpensive polyester options that have been mentioned. Go wool or cotton.
                        As far as budget, I haven't decided yet. That is, I could really treat myself, and spend around $250, but then I would not buy other things. I am also looking at second hand. I think that I will start with a cotton jacket first.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by ryn View Post

                          I don't think I would wear it with dark denim, contrast is good, which is why the navy with white pants look looks so good, and probably is reason enough to join a yacht club. I would probably wear it with bright chinos and not worry about being preppy.
                          Go for it dude! Personally, I don't need any help looking like an old man. But if I were younger and slimmer, I guess I would be more adventurous about leaning into a prep or nautical look. Actually, its very seasonally appropriate for spring and summer. And like I said, if you nail the details - fit, shirt, shoes, watch, sunglasses - you'll look great.

                          Originally posted by ryn View Post
                          As far as budget, I haven't decided yet. That is, I could really treat myself, and spend around $250, but then I would not buy other things. I am also looking at second hand. I think that I will start with a cotton jacket first.
                          Navy blazers are so ubiquitous, its definitely worth checking out thrift stores and online secondhand sites. Just watchout for the usual outdated stuff like uber-padded shoulders and low gorge, and you can probably find a good piece in a really premium fabric for cheap. Look for Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Hickey Freeman, Hart Schaffner Marx, maybe upper-level Ralph Lauren, stuff like that. Again, consider switching out the shiny brass buttons with generic heraldic crests for more modern gunmetal or horn buttons. Adds like 20 bucks to your purchase, if you have your favorite dry cleaner sew them on. Or don't, and embrace the trad!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

                            Go for it dude! Personally, I don't need any help looking like an old man. But if I were younger and slimmer, I guess I would be more adventurous about leaning into a prep or nautical look. Actually, its very seasonally appropriate for spring and summer. And like I said, if you nail the details - fit, shirt, shoes, watch, sunglasses - you'll look great.



                            Navy blazers are so ubiquitous, its definitely worth checking out thrift stores and online secondhand sites. Just watchout for the usual outdated stuff like uber-padded shoulders and low gorge, and you can probably find a good piece in a really premium fabric for cheap. Look for Brooks Brothers, J. Press, Hickey Freeman, Hart Schaffner Marx, maybe upper-level Ralph Lauren, stuff like that. Again, consider switching out the shiny brass buttons with generic heraldic crests for more modern gunmetal or horn buttons. Adds like 20 bucks to your purchase, if you have your favorite dry cleaner sew them on. Or don't, and embrace the trad!
                            100% this. I'm a trad leaning guy and have found quite a few really good condition 3/2 sacks from Brooks and Press on eBay. Frequently seeing prices in the $50-$100 range.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X