Spier & Mackay (not so) slim fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier & Mackay (not so) slim fit

I recently purchased a Spier & Mackay suit. I love the fabric and color but the fit seems, a little baggy. I almost always wear a 42, especially if a slim fit, a 41 I can sometimes get away with if it isn't a slim fit. The suit I ordered was a 42 slim. I can't imagine there is anyway I can fit into a 40. Looking at the pictures below does it seem too big? Anyone have experience with Spier suits running large? I'm trying to figure out if I just return it, or if I try to size down or what. Thanks for any wisdom you can offer!

Hard to say definitively with just those photos (overhead lighting, shadows and jeans conceal details) but it would appear the whole jacket is a size large on you.

The waist perhaps is close fitting, but the sleeves are a good inch or more past the end of the ulna and radius where they should usually end, even on the right side. The length appears to extend below your crotch, and there's excess fabric both at the upper back and seemingly under the arms.

Something to keep in mind is that Spier and Mackay doesn't do vanity sizing, which has crept even into men's tailored clothing in the last decade. The shoulders and lengths on a Contemporary are exactly the same as a Slim (Contemporary is more of an athletic fit, giving a little more room with a sharper taper to the waist).

What I'd suggest is to take measurements of a suit that you know fits well and compare them to S&M's size guide, which provides the dimensions of the garments they sell. That way you're getting a direct measure of the fit rather than an approximation based off body measurement.
    Last edited by Galcobar; March 7, 2021, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Spier have stated a few times on their IG that the slim/contemporary tends to "meet" at about 42 and the slim more or less "phases out" as a true slim around there.
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Context: In many brands I'm a size 42. At peak muscularity, about 3 years ago, I was a 44 in most, thanks to large shoulder and back measurements on a relatively thin frame (51" shoulders, 42" chest). I do have a couple of size 40 S&M jackets that I fit well when I'm below 195 pounds (I'm usually a 42L in their product). I'm 6'2", still slim but no longer skinny from lifting.

I agree with armedferret's assessment. S&M appear to use the 40-42 range to transition from slim to their contemporary, which is still a bit short of a true classic fit. The jump to their 44 is very much larger/baggier on me in nearly all dimensions and is beyond salvage with a tailor. Suit Supply stays very wearable at 44 in most cuts and tailorable to a very nice drape, even the Napoli, one of their more generous cuts.

Spier is fantastic for what you spend. It may take try extra with them to find the sweet spot. 40 or even 38 Contemporary may prove better on you than 42 slim, you should check the sizing for comparison.

Comment

as a side note, how much difference is there between a slim and contemporary at 36s?

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
            as a side note, how much difference is there between a slim and contemporary at 36s?
            https://www.spierandmackay.com/Sizing#
            Scroll down past the measuring guide to select Suits, and then the appropriate jackets and trousers.

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
              The contemporary is a little more than an inch bigger in the chest and waist but the shoulder measurements are the same. I think the sleeves might be a bit wider on the contemporary too. I'm pretty slim and have both fits in 36S and much prefer the contemporary. I think it would be considered a slim fit by many other makers.

Comment

Working...
              X