Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dress shoes you can really move in

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dress shoes you can really move in

    Hello, Dappered community. I was wondering if you'd mind offering me some input.

    For a very long time, I've been looking for what I've been told is the impossible: a pair of nice dress shoes you can actually run in. I've talked to a lot of people who are really up on fashion, especially shoes, but I've always been told that they're either going to be great dressier shoes that you can't really run in or they'll be terrible dress shoes you can run in. My searching has seemed to verify this conclusion, but I continue searching none the less.

    Curious, I went and watched Skyfall this weekend to see what James Bond was wearing, but unfortunately it looked like his more formal footwear went more for style than function.

    Does such a shoe exist? I'm looking for an oxford either in leather or with a look indistinguishable to the average eye to leather, but which one can, for example, run in or play basketball in (or chase down a super-villain, in Bond's case). If something like that doesn't exist, how might one go about making such a shoe?

    Thanks!

    #2
    Willravel, what purpose would a shoe like this serve? Why not wear formal shoes on formal occasions and athletic shoes in athletic activities?

    Comment


      #3
      Joe won't sponsor your rec-league basketball team. I already tried.
      Dress for style, live for results.

      Comment


        #4
        Well, Bond is wearing Crockett & Jones.
        http://www.crockettandjones.com/

        Comment


          #5
          I, too, can't find the benefit. I mean, you can find dress shoes that have rubber or even lugged soles, but moving around isn't the problem. Tearing up your expensive dress shoes is the problem. And unless you're wearing dress shoes with athletic shorts, I'm assuming you're expecting the rest of you to be dressed up from head to toe. Do you really want to be breaking a serious sweat in your nice clothes?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
            Willravel, what purpose would a shoe like this serve? Why not wear formal shoes on formal occasions and athletic shoes in athletic activities?
            There are some occasions that call for both. The Secret Service could certainly use a dressy-looking shoe that one can also run and jump and climb with. Police. Private security. Any job where you have to appear professional but there could be some action or activity that goes beyond walking and sitting could benefit, really.

            For me, though, it's just about having a fun pair of shoes. I've had to run in dress shoes before, during an emergency, and it wasn't exactly fun.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Willravel View Post
              Hello, Dappered community. I was wondering if you'd mind offering me some input.

              For a very long time, I've been looking for what I've been told is the impossible: a pair of nice dress shoes you can actually run in. I've talked to a lot of people who are really up on fashion, especially shoes, but I've always been told that they're either going to be great dressier shoes that you can't really run in or they'll be terrible dress shoes you can run in. My searching has seemed to verify this conclusion, but I continue searching none the less.

              Curious, I went and watched Skyfall this weekend to see what James Bond was wearing, but unfortunately it looked like his more formal footwear went more for style than function.

              Does such a shoe exist? I'm looking for an oxford either in leather or with a look indistinguishable to the average eye to leather, but which one can, for example, run in or play basketball in (or chase down a super-villain, in Bond's case). If something like that doesn't exist, how might one go about making such a shoe?

              Thanks!
              my rockport crowthorne's fit these requirements. Really soft and supportive full grain leather all around, which are of course discontinued now with adidas junk added in now, which is not as supportive.

              Comment


                #8
                You mention having to run in an emergency. No one really dresses for an emergency. I don't pick my clothes or shoes based on extreme circumstances that are unlikely to happen. I could run in all my dress shoes if needed so maybe it wasn't the shoes as much as it was your fitness?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  You mention having to run in an emergency.
                  That's what gave me the idea...
                  Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                  No one really dresses for an emergency.
                  ... nor do I. The emergency gave me the idea, but it's not the reason I'd like the shoes. I'd like the shoes because...
                  Originally posted by Willravel View Post
                  For me, though, it's just about having a fun pair of shoes.
                  I'd get a kick (pun intended. all puns should be intended) out of having a really nice pair of dressier shoes that I could really move around in. It's not about dressing for an emergency, it's about novelty.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I can actually speak to this. I am a psychologist in a maximum security Federal prison. In the federal prison system all staff, no matter what your position, respond to body alarms, fights, etc. So running full speed down the corridors or across the compound is fairly commonplace. I usually wear Allen Edmonds with leather soles, but I have the local cobbler glue thin rubber topy's to the bottom of my leather soles. This helps prevent the wearing down of the soles through running. Although I am not a fan of the brand, Cole Haans are popular among the professional staff as they apparently have comfy soles.

                    Giorgio Brutini is my favorite brand of inexpensive dress shoes. I own two pairs. The leather on both is decent and they have a hybrid rubber/leather sole. They are okay for running.

                    Loafers are terrible for running. I used to own one pair, and never bothered to replace them once they became shoddy. Can't wear run in those at all.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      What about Cole Haan LunarGrands?

                      Both the Highbury (derby) and Tetbury (chukka) Crockett & Jones that Bond wears in Skyfall have rubber dainite soles and would be well suited for physical activity.

                      Desert/chukka boots, to me, are the best all around shoe that straddles dress, sport, and durability. I wear desert boots with suits and I wear them riding my bicycle.

                      Something dark suede will probably stand up better. Suede isn't as subject to creasing or scuffing as leather is. Dark means it won't get dirty.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        AE's are certainly fantastic shoes. I'd never really thought of modifying an existing shoe, but that seems like a great idea.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                          Something dark suede will probably stand up better. Suede isn't as subject to creasing or scuffing as leather is. Dark means it won't get dirty.
                          Yeah, and now the whole internet knows that beeswax is a great way to protect them from the elements.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Willravel View Post
                            AE's are certainly fantastic shoes. I'd never really thought of modifying an existing shoe, but that seems like a great idea.
                            Many of AE's nicest shoes can be ordered with a variety of options, including a couple of rubber sole options.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by VespaMatt View Post
                              What about Cole Haan LunarGrands?

                              Both the Highbury (derby) and Tetbury (chukka) Crockett & Jones that Bond wears in Skyfall have rubber dainite soles and would be well suited for physical activity.

                              Desert/chukka boots, to me, are the best all around shoe that straddles dress, sport, and durability. I wear desert boots with suits and I wear them riding my bicycle.

                              Something dark suede will probably stand up better. Suede isn't as subject to creasing or scuffing as leather is. Dark means it won't get dirty.
                              Second everything Matt said. LunarGrands are hideous to some people, amazing to others.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X