Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perseus
    replied
    I've had the waist taken in on some J Crew board shorts, but I've never adjusted the length.

Leave a comment:

• TheJasonaissance
    replied
    This is why I swim in jorts, I can make them as short as I want whenever I want.

Leave a comment:

• julius12
    replied
    Old Navy has swim shorts in different inseam lengths, with the shortest being 6 in.

Leave a comment:

• Geo
    replied
    Myles has some board shorts with a 7" hem on sale right now. I don't own any of their swim short but have a few pairs of their Momentum and Everyday shorts that I love.

https://mylesapparel.com/collections...short-in-ocean

Leave a comment:

• Geo
    replied
    The short answer is, yes, it can be done fairly easily but altering the length of a pair of shorts ends up making the hem more narrow. If you don't skimp on leg day it might make them too narrow for your thighs. I've tried this with regular shorts. Eight inches is my sweet spot but not a lot of companies make shorts with that inseam. I hemmed a few pairs of 9" shorts but even just one inch made them too narrow at the hem. I can get them on without a problem but they cut into my thighs when sitting down.

mark4 The other reason for a longer inseam on board shorts is because surf wax sticks to leg hair. When straddling a board all day the last thing you want to do is pop up to catch a wave and give yourself an impromptu leg waxing. I had to learn that one the hard way.
    Last edited by Geo; February 28, 2021, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Bather does tell you the inseam - you have to click through to the size chart to see it - their technical surf trunks have 4 way stretch and an inseam of 6.5 inches.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    But, to answer your original question, I think you could shorten board shorts but you'd have to be careful about taking too much length off I think and would want someone who really knows what they're doing to do it...the legs of those are (I think) tapered in a lot of cases and going shorter also means widening the leg opening and if you go too short and too wide you might wind up exposing more to the world than you really want to, if you know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    It should be super easy for any tailor to hem a pair of shorts, as long as there's not a pocket in the way.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    Couple of brands to check out before you go longer and have them altered...I got a pair of board short like trunks from Bather via Huckberry a couple years back. They sell direct to consumer (they're a Canadian brand) too at https://bather.com/collections/techn...technical-surf. I don't see inseam listed but they could probably tell you if you ask and they look like shorter-inseam board shorts. Mine are either 6 or 7 inch inseam.

Then there's RVCA - they're a surfwear brand. They usually tell you the outseam rather than the inseam but could probably tell you what outseam corresponds to the inseam length you're looking for if you ask. I have a pair from them that's a touch longer than the Bather ones but still definitely above the knee and I'm only 5'8" so not super long legs.

A lot of board shorts are cut longer by design...if you've ever SUP'd or surfed or even body boarded in reasonably heavy surf - and I'm talking 4 foot swells or so not the real big stuff - the waves carry a lot of grit that gets deposited on your board. A longer inseam provides a layer of fabric that spares your knees from some of the abrasion that all that grit generates when you are climbing onto the board, or lying on it. At least that was my experience when SUPing in Hawaii - how gritty the grit is and how much the waves are carrying probably varies by location. In Hawaii it gets pretty gritty, at least on Maui which is the only island I've visited, so far.

Leave a comment:

• Pesape
    started a topic Altering Boardshorts?

Altering Boardshorts?

I prefer boardshorts over the normal elastic band trunks, but it's a bit harder to find a lot of options for non-long boardshorts. I have a couple from Chubbies that I bought three years ago, but it's probably time to update them as they are a bit worn down. The Chubbies boardshorts have a decent 7 inch inseam, but more importantly they have the extra stretchy material. The mix of stretchy material with a non-long length is hard to find. I would buy from Chubbies again, but they only seem to offer elastic band trunks now. I have a couple 'fashion' boardshorts that I bought from Orlebar Brown a few years back, but they aren't stretchy at all. I "don't skip leg day", so they can be a bit constricting in the legs. They would be too big in the waist if I sized up.

So that leads me to the question - Is it weird, or can you have boardshorts altered to make the inseam shorter? Fair Harbour has some decent options - https://www.fairharborclothing.com/p...22088861646929 - but I don't like the 8 inch inseam. I would prefer something in that 6-7 inch range. They have fashion trunks at 6 inches, but I don't like the look of those. I just want board shorts that aren't super long. Could this be done?

Working...
X