Crown & Caliber sold to Hodinkee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crown & Caliber sold to Hodinkee

So my favourite online retailer for purchasing vintage watches has been sold to Hodinkee. I have to say, I am not ok with this.

Hodinkee over the past couple of years has slid from an informative blog about watches to a full on corporate empire. They started a blog, then moved to a small online shop, then started partnering with brands for exclusive watch releases, and now have gone on to purchase a popular watch retailer. Which I guess is how businesses grow. Still, I'm skeptical. I think the quality of service offered by C&C will go down and the prices up up up.

By the time it goes to pot though, the venture capitalists who have invested in Hodinkee will be long gone.

This may be a tad cynical from me but I can't wait for Hodinkee to hype up a piece with some "independent editorial content", then jack up the price of said model to "meet market valuation".
    That said, I'm normally not in the market for pre-owned pieces so I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Comment

I think that's what bothers me too. Is that Hodinkee can now pump up a vintage watch as a 'must have' and then wow. Look at that. The watch just happens to be for sale on C&C too! Imagine that

Comment

dang thats unfortunate Crown and Caliber was local to me too.

Comment

Hate to be the party pooper here, but I hope you all realized that Crown and Caliber was already extremely overpriced for the used luxury watch market. There are tons of smaller, independent dealers with superb reputations on watch buying/selling forums (e.g., WatchUSeek, Rolex Forums, Omega Forums, etc.) that offer better deals. In addition, in my experience Crown and Caliber refused to entertain "best offers" on watches listed online, which is a bit baffling given that even authorized dealers will be willing to offer discounts below asking price on most models. And beyond that, I wasn't impressed with the level of detail they provided on the condition of their used watches. I've asked them about service history on watches, and they didn't seem to ever track that. They provided a warranty on their watches, but didn't necessarily service their watches beforehand (so the onus is on the customer to realize that the watch is keeping terrible time). Finally, it also seems like their customer service associates didn't have much (or any) background with watches and were just your typical, clueless (albeit very nice) customer service people.

I've seen a lot of people complain about how Hodinkee has veered more and more into becoming a commercial entity rather than a pure media outlet, and I have no problems with that whatsoever. They need to make revenue in order to support their media business, and ad revenue for most media companies isn't cutting it anymore (especially given that advertisers across all industries have frequently stopped paying media companies during the pandemic). Other media companies resort to putting all of their content behind a paywall--I would rather have them sell watches on the side and keep their website free, rather than pay a subscription to read their content.

Comment

I do agree with you somewhat lax101 I bought my Speedy from an independent an had a great experience. I would recommend him in a heartbeat.

C&C though just hit the sweet spot for me. I didn't have to do a lot of the leg work like I did with the independent seller. I had a guarantee on the quality of the watch. And the whole process was a little less stressful than going with the independent. Did I pay a few shekels more? You bet. Was it worth it to me? You bet!

And while Hodinkee does need to make money, I hope they are transparent about it. For example when they find THE watch write a glowing review about the watch, only to have the watch for sale on C&C, I hope they note somewhere that they are the owners of C&C.

Comment

Working...
            X