Navy Blue Overcoat with Blue Trousers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy Blue Overcoat with Blue Trousers?

I wear a lot of blue trousers (different shades / textures) but also have a pair of brown flannel and a medium grey pair. My question is if i should purchase a navy blue top coat or not?

Would the blue on blue be terrible?

Since most of us have more variety in pants and top coats are a seasonal and pricier item, I think color matching the top coat with the rest of the outfit becomes less important. However, if my wardrobe leaned blue like yours, I would suggest a gray or (my personal favorite) camel colored top coat.

Comment

Navy almost functions like a neutral in Western fashions, in that it automatically is treated more as a background colour. This is even more true when used in outerwear, and happily men are -- unlike women -- not burdened with the expectation our coats match or overtly contrast with our shoes, belts, bags, etc.

Short answer: navy coat over blue suit isn't a faux pas.

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
        I wear a lot of blue trousers (different shades / textures) but also have a pair of brown flannel and a medium grey pair. My question is if i should purchase a navy blue top coat or not?
        That depends. If you live in the topics, I would suggest you don't need one.

Would the blue on blue be terrible?
        Not at all.

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I like the combination. I wore this to a wedding. I like it better when there's more contrast, but not a deal breaker.

Comment

thanks guys! i grabbed one from SM - Navy Wool/Cashmere - Single Breast Overcoat (spierandmackay.com)

Hoping it fits properly as its meant to go over a jacket so i sized down as recommended. I don't wear jackets too often - maybe once a week - twice at most.

Comment

It’s too late to matter, but I think blue on blue is fine, especially since a topcoat will almost certainly have a different texture than the pants.

I may be remembering wrong, but I believe Simon Crompton recommends navy over charcoal for a first or only coat, because a navy coat looks good with navy and charcoal suits, but a charcoal coat doesn’t work as well with a navy suit.

Comment

Working...
              X