X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFe Guy
    replied
    Originally posted by jvargas View Post
    Definitely none of those outfits out in the field working. I have seen outfits like those at Fort Worth and Tulsa stock and rodeo shows but those still have the culture of showing off. Like old state fairs back before easy travel and might be the only time of year you meet people. My time in the Texas panhandle everyday wear is really nice embroidered or colorful shirts and jeans and boots so covered in dust and mud it’s inseparable. One dude told me it’s because if he got injured and could get up. he could be found by his bright color shirt. You can find these at gas stations and travel stops in the panhandle.
    Here in Santa Fe, you can always spot the Texans. They're the ones who buy the colored, highly tooled boots and the cowboy hats decorated with various feathers and gewgaws. Gotta love those tourist $$.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by jvargas View Post
    You know I have always liked Dinosaurs but not soBangkok Tha much hot springs. Also heard they have a good Thai food.
    Now if you want really Southwest Western Wear were do you go?

Albuquerque?

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    You know I have always liked Dinosaurs but not soBangkok Tha much hot springs. Also heard they have a good Thai food.
    Now if you want really Southwest Western Wear were do you go?
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post

Everyone should hit up Jackson Hole once in their life, and then immediately drive over to Thermopolis, just to learn the difference between RL Western and the real West.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by SFe Guy View Post
    It sounds like Boot Barn might be a good solution for you. They're pretty ubiquitous in the Western states. Don't let the name fool you. Boots just get you in the door. This is not Ralph Lauren's West. It's the real deal.
    Everyone should hit up Jackson Hole once in their life, and then immediately drive over to Thermopolis, just to learn the difference between RL Western and the real West.

Leave a comment:

• SFe Guy
    replied
    It sounds like Boot Barn might be a good solution for you. They're pretty ubiquitous in the Western states. Don't let the name fool you. Boots just get you in the door. This is not Ralph Lauren's West. It's the real deal.

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
    I can't help but thinking, though, that if any of those Instragram guys actually showed up in rural Texas looking like that, they'd get beaten up and have their lunch money taken.
    I think of the Three Amigos every time.

https://youtu.be/EzZ7UGZETxo

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    Definitely none of those outfits out in the field working. I have seen outfits like those at Fort Worth and Tulsa stock and rodeo shows but those still have the culture of showing off. Like old state fairs back before easy travel and might be the only time of year you meet people. My time in the Texas panhandle everyday wear is really nice embroidered or colorful shirts and jeans and boots so covered in dust and mud it’s inseparable. One dude told me it’s because if he got injured and could get up. he could be found by his bright color shirt. You can find these at gas stations and travel stops in the panhandle.

Leave a comment:

• tankerjohn
    replied
    Hey, did you guys see this? https://putthison.com/the-western-revival-in-menswear/ Put This On is on the Western wear wagon. Interesting article. Nice shout out to the Stetson Open Road. I can't help but thinking, though, that if any of those Instragram guys actually showed up in rural Texas looking like that, they'd get beaten up and have their lunch money taken.

Leave a comment:

• jvargas
    replied
    Yeah sorry I went MIA for a little while. I put I little more work into western wear. For shirts, I went to Tractor Supply and tried on some wrangler shirts, who knew they had some. Good work shirts but definitely a work shirt. Stiff and a bit on the scratchy side but loved the slim fit. Another plus was I had I read a online review that they are thinner then the ones sold from Wrangler’s website, so waiting my shipment to show up. I did find these two interesting articles, no clue about the rest of the site. I will definitely pick up some Rocmount Ranch Wear. Boots I am trying to decide on cowboy boots for Whites boots

https://www.heddels.com/2020/07/west...icana-classic/

https://www.heddels.com/2016/09/rock...n-institution/

Leave a comment:

• gregbarrett
    replied
    Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Here’s a good example:

https://fromsqualortoballer.com/rrl-...lted-cardigan/

I think the key is to pick one western item and blend it in with your personal style. I live in texas and occasionally wear my boots, but I don’t wear vlone hats or western shirts. I wear said boots with jeans or khakis and a button-up or t-shirt.
    This is a nice idea which I really like it.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFromTexas View Post

You can definiteyl find some B width Lucchese Classics on Ebay for good prices (also check out Rios of Mercedes and Black Jack). The wait time for Lee Miller is 762 years last time I checked (but of course he's a legend, and there's no doubt the boots are worth it). If you ever make it down to the Rio Grande Valley, I can recommend some custom boot makers for substantially less and a much shorter wait list. But if Lee Miller is the grail, don't let me steer you off course.

Oh there's loads of em to be sure. I'm all about looking into any/all you'd like to recommend. Two is one, one is none as it were.

I was talking to TT on IG not too long ago and he said it's "somewhere between three and four years". Might as well get the measurements done and deposit down, plenty of time to put my pennies aside.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFromTexas
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    Still saving up for a pair of Lee Miller boots. Being a B width on the Brannock means even sizing down still provides way too much heel slip (above the hard counter) in everything I've tried so far.

The nice part about going full custom is that it can be virtually ANYTHING you want. It's just crazy expensive so I'm likely to only have one pair.

If you're a D width Tecovas make some absolutely amazing bots for the price (Trenton & Heath did a deconstruction and were duly impressed), and Lucchese are the other big go-to. Justin and a few others are decent but at the price point you're better off going with Tecovas or Lucchese.

Be aware Lucchese has a VERY wide variety and some are 3x the cost of full customs from a lastmaker/fitter like Lee Miller.
    You can definiteyl find some B width Lucchese Classics on Ebay for good prices (also check out Rios of Mercedes and Black Jack). The wait time for Lee Miller is 762 years last time I checked (but of course he's a legend, and there's no doubt the boots are worth it). If you ever make it down to the Rio Grande Valley, I can recommend some custom boot makers for substantially less and a much shorter wait list. But if Lee Miller is the grail, don't let me steer you off course.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFromTexas
    replied
    I see a lot of the bases have been covered - e.g. Wrangler, Pendleton, Carhartt. Check your local western wear store (brands like Plains, Ely Cattleman can often be had on sale, just look for 100% cotton). Another reason to check your local western store is to get a good idea of your boot size in different brands. I have a lot of boots (probably too many depending on who you ask), but all but 1 were purchased used via Ebay and flea markets. The one boot I purchased new was custom from a local maker to commemorate my graduation. I live near the Texas Mexico border and custom boots are a lot cheaper than the big names in Austin, Forth Worth and San Angelo, but just as well made if you ask me. Ebay is also a treasure trove of really inexpensive used Pendlelton and snap shirts if that's your thing. Older, well made boots can last forever if they were, and continue to be taken care of (conditioned, resoled and reheeled as necessary) . I wear a hat daily, often a Stetson, but in Texas it's not so rare to see. It's either a fedora (not so often) or an Open Road (more often), which straddles the line between dress/casual really nicely and is not aggressively "Cowboy".

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
    armedferret

I’m pretty much done with budget brands and buy Iron Heart or 3sixteen exclusively. Nothing wrong with budget brands like Gustin but I kinda lost my taste for a 2 month turnaround time and mistakes. I haven’t purchased from them in 6 yrs. likewise, when Taylor Stitch moved a lot of their production to China it left a poor taste in my mouth. Some of their stuff is US made but a lot of it isn’t
    With you there. I've moved on (mostly) into the "buy once, cry once" territory, except for new styles or cuts that I want to try out. My day to day stuff is still J.Crew heavy though.

Today: Patagonia fleece, UA Polo, Momotaro jeans, Alden boots.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
    armedferret

I have a Gustin waxed trucker and used to have the Rogue Territory Ridgeline. Sold the RgT but kept the Gustin. The Gustin trucker is my knock around jacket. I re-waxed it with Otter Wax which was a mistake. That stuff stinks to high heaven.

I’m pretty much done with budget brands and buy Iron Heart or 3sixteen exclusively. Nothing wrong with budget brands like Gustin but I kinda lost my taste for a 2 month turnaround time and mistakes. I haven’t purchased from them in 6 yrs. likewise, when Taylor Stitch moved a lot of their production to China it left a poor taste in my mouth. Some of their stuff is US made but a lot of it isn’t
    With you on Gustin. I got lucky on all my orders and am quite happy with what i've received, but after my L3 came in my interest in their products has just sort of naturally waned.

Again, quite happy with what i've gotten to date just nothing there for me anymore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X