No announcement yet.

Western style help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s interestin and glad the conversation went this way, I was tempted to ask what companies traditional core is western wear? L.L. Bean started as a New England style company, with duck boots. White’s are north western. Orvis is a traditional hunting store, though I haven’t been in one since I lived in Raleigh. NorthFace is mountaineering store. Maybe Pendleton, Wrangler, and Double RL is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
      We should have a support group. I hate that I can only even consider 10% (if that) of what's available.
      Banana Republic used to always have a few western shirts each year, and I loved them. I hope they're not gone forever, but it's been a couple of years so they probably are. I'll give Gap a try.
      As to the OP, western wear is risky--for most of us, it's going to look like a costume. The obvious exception is if you live somewhere where western wear is the norm. If not, I'd recommend limiting yourself to one piece at a time. I feel fine with a western shirt, jeans, and lace up boots, but if I threw cowboy boots (even ropers) in the mix, I'd probably feel a bit off.
      Dumb bell curve, I am on the other side of you guys. I typically wear 28-29 inseam. Probably going to keep to a work boot, saving and figuring out what style White’s I like, a western shirt and jeans. My personal style is more rugged during fall, winter, flannels, beard, boots, etc. My summer style is bright colors, some flowered shirts for tops basic colors bottom. I am hoping adding some western wear can blind the two but nothing over top.

Comment

Originally posted by jvargas View Post
        What’s interestin and glad the conversation went this way, I was tempted to ask what companies traditional core is western wear? L.L. Bean started as a New England style company, with duck boots. White’s are north western. Orvis is a traditional hunting store, though I haven’t been in one since I lived in Raleigh. NorthFace is mountaineering store. Maybe Pendleton, Wrangler, and Double RL is the answer.
        Double RL is really pricey unless you can get it on steep discount. Their shirts can be as much as $500. Literally half a grand for one shirt. Levis and Wrangler are lower cost options for dabbling with a western shirt and both are iconic brands with very attainable price points. Pendleton is a step up from there price-wise, but still not outrageous. The Levis Barstow has all the classic elements of a western shirt - the "gull wing" stitching on the upper front and back that defines the western yoke, and snap closures. They have about a half dozen different colorways in that shirt on sale right now via Amazon for less than $40.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Double RL is really pricey unless you can get it on steep discount. Their shirts can be as much as $500. Literally half a grand for one shirt. Levis and Wrangler are lower cost options for dabbling with a western shirt and both are iconic brands with very attainable price points. Pendleton is a step up from there price-wise, but still not outrageous. The Levis Barstow has all the classic elements of a western shirt - the "gull wing" stitching on the upper front and back that defines the western yoke, and snap closures. They have about a half dozen different colorways in that shirt on sale right now via Amazon for less than $40.
          I wish Levi made medium tall. They have a lot of good looking stuff like the barstow shirts, but I can't wear those regular sizes.

Comment

Still saving up for a pair of Lee Miller boots. Being a B width on the Brannock means even sizing down still provides way too much heel slip (above the hard counter) in everything I've tried so far.

The nice part about going full custom is that it can be virtually ANYTHING you want. It's just crazy expensive so I'm likely to only have one pair.

If you're a D width Tecovas make some absolutely amazing bots for the price (Trenton & Heath did a deconstruction and were duly impressed), and Lucchese are the other big go-to. Justin and a few others are decent but at the price point you're better off going with Tecovas or Lucchese.

Be aware Lucchese has a VERY wide variety and some are 3x the cost of full customs from a lastmaker/fitter like Lee Miller.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Iron Heart makes great western flannels and lightweight chambrays as well as assorted workwear and military styled clothing and denim, but they're a biker brand, first and foremost. Yes, they're very expensive but well worth it once you get over the sticker shock. When I first got into IH my jaw dropped at how expensive they were, but once I bought my first UHF (ultra heavy flannel) I was hooked. Nobody makes flannel westerns the way they do and the quality is unmatched imo. Their UHF's are 12oz, made in Japan and made from aspero cotton,usually with a brushed inner for warmth. And boy are they warm and thick. They're so warm in fact, it's like wearing a blanket over your body. I think I'm up to 10 or 12 UHF's now....some were purchased new and others were purchased used. Check ebay or Grailed if you're looking for deals, but try to be mindful of sizing.

I have a few RRL shirts and all were purchased on discount. I would never pay full price for their stuff, especially since most of it is made in China or wherever. The only reason I have RRL shirts is they serve as my hot weather shirts.

Filson also makes western shirts as well as various types of workshirts and hunting shirts. I have a couple of their cascade flannels which they no longer make and those are nice enough, but again, I bought those on discount. Filson's sizing is really wonky too. I usually take a size large in tops (size xl for Iron Heart) but I had to go down to a medium in Filson. They basically make shirting for bigger fellas. Filson is one of those brands where you pretty much have to go into a physical store and try on before you buy.

Freenote Cloth is a US brand that makes westerns as well. They pretty much sell denim and other 'Americana' inspired clothing. They're also expensive but seem to have slimmer fitting clothing when compared to Filson. They're sizing doesn't work for me but they do put out the occasional nice piece.

But, if you're looking for inexpensive and affordable then some of the options presented by others will do. It all really depends on your budget and what you're specifically looking for.

Comment

Actual Western, or fashion faux western?

Actual western: Wrangler. Levis. Boot Barn. Cabelas. Bass Pro Shops.

Fashion faux western: RRL (fake western wear from a New York tie salesman who bought a ranch).
                Mark

Comment

I found out that there is an Orvis store near my home in Northern Virginia and stopped in to check out the hunting stuff. Well, the store was basically all casual clothes with a couple of fly rods on the wall in the back. When I asked about hunting gear, the girl laughed and said they could order it. (I hate that answer. What is this, 1987?) So YMMV. Not sure that had anything to do with Western wear, but whatever.

But on the topic of Western wear...where are you guys getting the idea that Western = fuller cuts? Western style has ALWAYS been about tight jeans and fitted shirts, even in the 90's when that wasn't cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                    I found out that there is an Orvis store near my home in Northern Virginia and stopped in to check out the hunting stuff. Well, the store was basically all casual clothes with a couple of fly rods on the wall in the back. When I asked about hunting gear, the girl laughed and said they could order it. (I hate that answer. What is this, 1987?) So YMMV. Not sure that had anything to do with Western wear, but whatever.

But on the topic of Western wear...where are you guys getting the idea that Western = fuller cuts? Western style has ALWAYS been about tight jeans and fitted shirts, even in the 90's when that wasn't cool.
                    Not sure where you are getting the fuller cuts vibe from...I admit I haven't read every post in this thread in great detail but I didn't pick up on anyone pushing roomier fits. Yeah, I've always thought of Western wear as being slim fitting, although some real western wear brands are getting fuller cut, probably because the average American is getting, ahem, "fuller cut" too. I'm not here to judge anyone for their weight but it is a statistical fact that Americans have gotten heavier on average over the years.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Not sure where you are getting the fuller cuts vibe from...I admit I haven't read every post in this thread in great detail but I didn't pick up on anyone pushing roomier fits. Yeah, I've always thought of Western wear as being slim fitting, although some real western wear brands are getting fuller cut, probably because the average American is getting, ahem, "fuller cut" too. I'm not here to judge anyone for their weight but it is a statistical fact that Americans have gotten heavier on average over the years.
                      LOL. Maybe I misread. Sorry for the digression.

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                        Still saving up for a pair of Lee Miller boots. Being a B width on the Brannock means even sizing down still provides way too much heel slip (above the hard counter) in everything I've tried so far.

The nice part about going full custom is that it can be virtually ANYTHING you want. It's just crazy expensive so I'm likely to only have one pair.

If you're a D width Tecovas make some absolutely amazing bots for the price (Trenton & Heath did a deconstruction and were duly impressed), and Lucchese are the other big go-to. Justin and a few others are decent but at the price point you're better off going with Tecovas or Lucchese.

Be aware Lucchese has a VERY wide variety and some are 3x the cost of full customs from a lastmaker/fitter like Lee Miller.
                        My next pair of boots will be custom, probably from Lee Miller. I do not mind paying $3000+ for one pair of custom boots that will last a lifetime. But isn't the waitlist currently about three years for Lee Miller?

Speaking of Tecovas, my Tecovas Bandera boots came in quite handy during the deep freeze in Texas over the past week. The Vibram soles did very well on the slick ice; even better than my Salomon Quest hiking boots. Same experience when I was in Park City a couple months ago. Highly recommended if you're looking for a cowboy style boot in a cold climate.

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                        Filson also makes western shirts as well as various types of workshirts and hunting shirts. I have a couple of their cascade flannels which they no longer make and those are nice enough, but again, I bought those on discount. Filson's sizing is really wonky too. I usually take a size large in tops (size xl for Iron Heart) but I had to go down to a medium in Filson. They basically make shirting for bigger fellas. Filson is one of those brands where you pretty much have to go into a physical store and try on before you buy.
                        Filson has two different sizings -- Seattle cut and Alaska cut. But a lot of the clothes do not indicate which cut they are. The Seattle cut is more tailored. My short lined cruiser jacket is Seattle cut. It fits fine over a flannel and thin base layer, but I would have to size up for additional layering. The Alaska cut is fuller and made to wear over multiple layers. I typically wear a medium tall, sometimes large tall. I was drowning in the medium long Alaska cut jacket I tried. The Seattle cut short lined cruiser fits pretty well in a medium long.

I love Filson, but the offerings for tall people are very limited. The short lined cruiser jacket is one of the few items that comes in a long size. It feels bomb proof. I am untouchable walking through thorns and briars in it in deep brush. And it is surprisingly warm. When temperatures here were in the teens and 20s, I was fine with a merino base layer, flannel, and this jacket. Highly recommend their tin cloth jackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post

My next pair of boots will be custom, probably from Lee Miller. I do not mind paying $3000+ for one pair of custom boots that will last a lifetime. But isn't the waitlist currently about three years for Lee Miller?
                          Somewhere around there. Though there are ways (money helps, but isn't the only thing that will do it) to get bumped up the list a little. Maybe not the very next pair he makes, of course, but....a much more reasonable time frame.

Comment

Paddington

You are correct regarding Seattle vs Alaska cuts. My cascade flannels are Seattle fit, but they still fit big. I’m not a small framed guy by any means either and I still had to size down.

I have their short cruiser as well but never wear it. I used to be a fan of waxed canvas/tin cloth but got over it because it doesn’t breathe well and it gets dirty very easily. I’m sure it works for many, just not me.

my last Filson purchase was the Tacoma jacket which I sold immediately after buying. Thing was huge on me and I sized down on that one as well. Bought it online on sale for a good deal but not doing that again

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post
                              I used to be a fan of waxed canvas/tin cloth but got over it because it doesn’t breathe well and it gets dirty very easily.

That's Patina. You're absolutely right though, it's great for some folks and not for others. Nothing wrong with not having a taste for it.

Truman boots, selvedge, maybe my Gustin leather jacket....but i'd be right there next to you if anything else in my closet was the same way.

I've considered a waxed trucker now and then, but I've got a Carhartt (quilted!) my dad got me when I was in HIGH SCHOOL that looks like it's a year or two old (i'm in my 40s now) so I can't really find a reason to get one.

Comment

armedferret

I have a Gustin waxed trucker and used to have the Rogue Territory Ridgeline. Sold the RgT but kept the Gustin. The Gustin trucker is my knock around jacket. I re-waxed it with Otter Wax which was a mistake. That stuff stinks to high heaven.

I’m pretty much done with budget brands and buy Iron Heart or 3sixteen exclusively. Nothing wrong with budget brands like Gustin but I kinda lost my taste for a 2 month turnaround time and mistakes. I haven’t purchased from them in 6 yrs. likewise, when Taylor Stitch moved a lot of their production to China it left a poor taste in my mouth. Some of their stuff is US made but a lot of it isn’t

Comment

Working...
                                X