Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western style help

Hey Everyone,
    I was wondering if any one knows about western style clothes. I have seen people mention it in passing on the forum but not as the major topic. I been thinking about trying some and just curious if any one know any good insights. Any information would be helpful, website, forum, personal knowledge, and good long running companies as a basic google search brings back articles about cowboy boots. I don’t do any other online clothing forums as it’s not just my personality.
    I live out west now and the style is just easy for me to find in person. I am looking for more classic style and more leaning to actual work wear as my I spend lots of time outdoors. I have several bolo ties and a stenson hat so handed down to me.

First off, if you've got a Stetson already, you're half way there. Congrats. Then, have a look see at Wrangler's website. I think you'll find a good selection of Western style clothes at reasonable prices and quality comparable to "Dappered" brands like Banana Republic, J. Crew, et al. Put This On had a great write up of Wrangler's denim shirt. https://putthison.com/my-favorite-fa...-its-so-great/ And if Put This On is raving about a $29 shirt, well... Anyway... Then maybe Filson. They've got some nice Western-tinged clothes that don't go overboard into full "rhinestone cowboy". They're stuff's expensive, but good if you can grab it on sale. I also really like Carhartt for workwear. As far as boots go, I keep getting pop up adds for Tecovas, which looks like the cowboy boot version of Thursday. But honestly, I don't wear Western boots, so that's all I know. Happy trails!

Comment

The gold standard of western style, in my book, is RRL (very pricy). I’m sure it will last forever.

Beyond that Pendleton has a ton of stuff that suits the style. I’m gearing up to buy some flannel shirts from them, but don’t know about how they fit. Their blankets are amazing though so I expect their clothes to match.

Comment

I have a couple of western yoke shirts - one from Levis (the Barstow I think it's called) is pretty much always in stock and an easy way to dive into western style. It's got the distinctive Western yoke, classic (for western wear) snaps rather than buttons, and is almost always available in multiple washes and almost never outrageously priced. They have another model called the Sawtooth that's also nice. The other western yoke shirt I have is from DSTLD and is also nice but I'm not sure they're stocking it anymore. Wrangler makes western yoke shirts too and they're probably marginally cheaper than Levis and also perfectly fine IMO. Sometimes The Gap and even Banana Republic will have a western yoke snap closed shirt in stock too. IMO if you are dipping your toe in the Western wear pool a classic denim or chambray western yoke shirt is the easiest way to get your feet wet.

I usually stick to the basic denim or understated plaid when it comes to western shirts - basically patterns or styles I'd wear in a non-western shirt - as some of the more out there western wear can get pretty wild/tacky IMO. I wear them with jeans in a contrasting wash - with a pair of casual boots (I don't have a pair of cowboy boots but cowboy boots are definitely OK by me) you're good to go. A belt buckle with a little western flair is OK too so long as you don't go too huge or wild.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

As whereismurder stated, RRL is where it's at. But they are very expensive. And if you're like me (6'4", athletic), you're not going to find anything that fits.

Tecovas has a nice selection. I'm in Austin, and I bought my first pair of boots from them about 5 1/2 years ago. Already wore through the original sole, and they are still holding up well on the resole. I bought some of the caiman boots that looked great and held up well, but I sold them when I upgraded to some handmade ostrich leg Luccheses (called the Anderson; I have to brag, these are probably my favorite item of clothing). And their ranchwear stuff is good if you actually work outside. Their jeans and pearl snap shirts look good, but I cannot wear them (no jeans in 36 length, no tall shirts/jackets).

You do not have to go all bootcut jeans for boots. I and most folks I know wear straight cut jeans with boots. I find that Levi 501s and Gap straight fit work pretty well.

Gap will occasionally have some western style shirts in a modern fit. They look pretty good.

Comment

Not sure if these are "authentic" (grain of salt: I grew up in California, and I live in DC now), but Orvis and Legendary Whitetails have some good hunting clothes, and there's some overlap there.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
              As whereismurder stated, RRL is where it's at. But they are very expensive. And if you're like me (6'4", athletic), you're not going to find anything that fits.
              We should have a support group. I hate that I can only even consider 10% (if that) of what's available.

Gap will occasionally have some western style shirts in a modern fit. They look pretty good.
              Banana Republic used to always have a few western shirts each year, and I loved them. I hope they're not gone forever, but it's been a couple of years so they probably are. I'll give Gap a try.

As to the OP, western wear is risky--for most of us, it's going to look like a costume. The obvious exception is if you live somewhere where western wear is the norm. If not, I'd recommend limiting yourself to one piece at a time. I feel fine with a western shirt, jeans, and lace up boots, but if I threw cowboy boots (even ropers) in the mix, I'd probably feel a bit off.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                As to the OP, western wear is risky--for most of us, it's going to look like a costume. The obvious exception is if you live somewhere where western wear is the norm. If not, I'd recommend limiting yourself to one piece at a time. I feel fine with a western shirt, jeans, and lace up boots, but if I threw cowboy boots (even ropers) in the mix, I'd probably feel a bit off.
                Agree with this. I wear cowboy boots every day fall through spring here in Texas. But I wear them with straight fit jeans and a modern fitting t shirt or button up, and I only wear my Stetson on very rare occasions. If you wear head-to-toe western wear, you are more likely to stand out than blend in. The exception being a ranch or rodeo. You can always tell the difference between the real cowboy ranch hand who lives the life and the guy who is in his costume. You do not want to be all hat and no cattle.

Comment

You do not want to be all hat and no cattle.
                  Good advice for all walks of life!

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
                    Not sure if these are "authentic" (grain of salt: I grew up in California, and I live in DC now), but Orvis and Legendary Whitetails have some good hunting clothes, and there's some overlap there.
                    Does Orvis do any Western style clothes? I would say their aesthetic skews more North Woods/New England gentry and their hunting stuff is almost all geared towards upland bird hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                      The gold standard of western style, in my book, is RRL (very pricy). I’m sure it will last forever.

Beyond that Pendleton has a ton of stuff that suits the style. I’m gearing up to buy some flannel shirts from them, but don’t know about how they fit. Their blankets are amazing though so I expect their clothes to match.
                      It's been more than a half decade since I've been in the place and they closed several years ago now, but I used to have a brick-and-mortar Pendleton store fairly near me and did try on a couple things. They tend to be pretty full cut although not outrageous. 5 years ago I would have maybe advised sizing down, but fuller cuts appear to be coming back into style. Also, I'm pretty thin (5'8" and 150 lbs.) and my suit/sport coat size is 38 so I'm right on the cusp between small and medium on most sizing charts. I often wind up sizing down but it definitely depends on the brand and cut.

Their blankets are great for sure...we use one as a cushion cover on our leather couch to add a little southwestern flare to our living room.
                      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Agree with this. I wear cowboy boots every day fall through spring here in Texas. But I wear them with straight fit jeans and a modern fitting t shirt or button up, and I only wear my Stetson on very rare occasions. If you wear head-to-toe western wear, you are more likely to stand out than blend in. The exception being a ranch or rodeo. You can always tell the difference between the real cowboy ranch hand who lives the life and the guy who is in his costume. You do not want to be all hat and no cattle.
                        I think with a western yoke shirt and jeans, you can still go cowboy boots/ropers without it looking too costume-y - seems like something Kris Kristofferson would have worn in the '70 and honestly it's not a bad look. Or add cowboy boots to Robert Redford's getup in Three Days of the Condor and he still looks great. But add one more piece of western flare (bolo tie, or cowboy hat) and you are going to look like the guy whose trying a little too hard to live out his childhood cowboy fantasy. That said I've never tried it as I don't own a pair of cowboy boots, although I've thought about it for sure. I do have one bolo tie I bought at the Spanish Market in Santa Fe on a whim. It's hard to pull off here in DC unless Emmylou Harris or someone is in town and I'm going to the show.

Comment

Here’s a good example:

https://fromsqualortoballer.com/rrl-...lted-cardigan/

I think the key is to pick one western item and blend it in with your personal style. I live in texas and occasionally wear my boots, but I don’t wear hats or western shirts. I wear said boots with jeans or khakis and a button-up or t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
                            t Orvis ....ha[s] good hunting clothes.....
                            it is so funny because i feel like they have really good fishing clothes too. and OUT OF THIS WORK fishing gear too. I can't do anything other than hate their kind of dried up boomer grampa clientelle they mostly seem to cater to, and all the fashion Faux Pas they constantly push, but despite all of the companies many follies, they make excellent technical clothing, and gear. It is very impressive they can do this at all, with so many distractions from the true calling :-D

I have a number of fresh water, and salt water fly rods and other gear from waders to all the other stuff from them, and it's always been amazing, and they tend to be pretty generous about fixing them when I am obviously the one who broke them (IE when i broke the tip off my fly rod the first day out while on vacation fishing significantly further north in VT, and they loaned me a rod for the entire rest of the two weeks...) wow! thanks guys).

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                              The gold standard of western style, in my book, is RRL (very pricy).
                              it is so funny that as a new englander i have never evern heard that RL makes ANY western clothes. i looked it up and it's kind of amazing to me that i've been insulated from it so well! they make a shit ton of western stuff, according to their website llool

https://cdn-fsly.yottaa.net/5e18d625...c10_banner.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X