Help Me Decide on a Harrington Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Decide on a Harrington Color

I'm about to pull the trigger on a quality Harrington Jacket. I have another Private White jacket and absolutely love it. Which one of these two colors on sale do you think are more versatile? Sand (which actually looks like tan) or Khaki (which is a dark brown)? I wear predominantly jeans in a social setting. But I might use the jacket for work trips, in which I might be in a grey or navy slacks. Or should I save up for a navy one instead (double the price currently)?
    https://www.privatewhitevc.com/products/the-aw20-ventile®-harrington?variant=32985750863933.

Either colour would work with jeans, but grey or navy slacks bring in different considerations which would lead me to suggest the dark brown.

Grey is a neutral, and can produce a rather blah effect when paired with another neutral such as beige/tan. They're both used as synonyms for "uninteresting" after all. The grey and beige would have to be far apart in tone to get any visual interest.

As for navy, having it top and bottom I find ends up reminiscent of coveralls (if the shades match) or a near-miss at co-ordinating (if they don't). A few years back one would run into the phrase "too matchy-matchy" to describe this. Brown and navy, on the other hand, is a classic combination.

Comment

That's a nicely cut jacket.
      The sand color would be more true to the original design of the Eisenhower jacket.
      Another way to think about it would be to think about under what season you would be wearing it. In a climate with four seasons, it's mostly a spring jacket, a light top layer. In spring, you might be wearing brighter colors, and the sand color would be a nice neutral compliment to those colors. Navy might be too visually heavy in that scenario.

Comment

tan really is the quint essential harrington color, but it isn't a very useful color for me. i have one, and i never ever wear it.

my navy one however, i use all the fucking time. i love it so much. get a navy one!

Comment

Depends on your own style, physical appearance, etc., but I generally find darker colors more versatile for outerwear (especially if you want to wear it in a business setting from time to time). Dark brown should be fine, and might be a little more interesting than a navy blue or charcoal/dark gray. I am guilty of buying too many pieces in those colors. I have a Baracuta Harrington in dark green, and I've been delightfully surprised at how versatile it's been.

Comment

Is it just me or is the sand color closer to khaki and the one they call the khaki color closer to a chestnut brown? Kinda wonder if their photos are rendering those colors accurately. If you wear a lot of khaki colored chinos that sand color will probably be too matchy-matchy to work with them, but would be fine with jeans, navy or grey pants. The darker brown will probably also work with all those colors and with khaki too. Or olive (although both colors would work with olive). If it's at all a factor the darker color is going to hide dirt better.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I would go for the dark brown. I owned a light tan version at one point and ended up selling it. It came across as too “old man”. The brown(khaki) is unique enough to stand out in a good way.

Comment

I have a navy blue G9, I like it a lot but I've also seen khaki and an olive green that looked great.

Comment

Originally posted by meekrab View Post
                  I have a navy blue G9, I like it a lot but I've also seen khaki and an olive green that looked great.
                  yes G9 is really great choice I also have one.

Comment

Originally posted by jithu9684 View Post
                    I'm about to pull the trigger on a quality Harrington Jacket. I have another Private White jacket and absolutely love it. Which one of these two colors on sale do you think are more versatile? Sand (which actually looks like tan) or Khaki (which is a dark brown)? I wear predominantly jeans in a social setting. But I might use the jacket for work trips, in which I might be in a grey or navy slacks. Or should I save up for a navy one instead (double the price currently)?
                    https://www.privatewhitevc.com/products/the-aw20-ventile®-harrington?variant=32985750863933.
                    I will suggest sand it suits on most people

Comment

Working...
                    X