Quilted vest with suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilted vest with suit

I know the quilted vest is "country attire," what you might wear hunting in the english countryside if you were born in a certain time, place, and economic strata, but today would you wear it with a suit? Is there a right way? Is there a wrong way?
    Shown above are the best under and over the jacket.

How cold and desperate are you? Assuming that’s not the only coat I had, than probably not.

If I needed a coat outside while wearing a suit, I would wear a raincoat or an overcoat. That’s their function.

The vest under the suit coat doesn’t look as bad. I’m not sure it would fit well under my suits, though. I’m still compelled to ask why you would go this route instead of a sweater under the jacket.

If you are going to do this, I think it would look better with a tweed like suit or at least a quilted jacket in a basic color that has less contrast with the suit material.

Comment

Ive never done it, but one of my friends does it all the time and he makes it look cool and intentional. He uses a thin quilted vest under the jacket. He’s a tall and very fit guy, so I suspect it helps to keep the trim look.

Comment

I've done this look. I have no problem with it. I normally put the vest under my suit jacket, so I am hiding it somewhat. The only issue is when I enter an office or a place for lunch. I have to take off my suit jacket, take off the vest, then put the suit jacket back on. Aside from that though, I think it is a good look.

Comment

Iv'e done this with a blazer - often over for a few years and liked the look. Even got an unsolicited compliment.

I used to do that in high school with a down vest over a blazer.

Comment

I don't like it. (Ba Humbug Get Off My Lawn!) But if you must, a classic English one like on the model above (Barbour?) is the way to go. It also helps to be REALLY skinny as it does kind of add a lot of bulk in the middle.

Comment

This was something of a lewk about a half-decade or so ago...maybe longer than that. I tried it a few times back then, but usually with a more casual sport coat + chino type look. I kind of gave up on it because it stopped being quite so in vogue and for the issue DocDave mentioned...it looks better with the vest under the jacket but then when you go inside you have to disrobe down to your shirtsleeves and then put your jacket back on. It's much easier, and IMO more fashionable these days, to just wear an overcoat. Overcoats are in style right now - not that they ever go out of style, but wearing them with casual wear as opposed to business/formal attire goes in and out of style somewhat, and right now we're in a fashion cycle where people are wearing them with casual outfits than they were say 10 years ago.
              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Somewhere on the interwebs I am across an article detailing how this look - the vest over the suit jacket - was a bro look for all of the finance types. I think the article was on Put This On, but I could be mistaken. Anyway. I thought the article was an interesting read. The author talked about if you were to walk down the financial district of your area, you'd be ale to pick out the unofficial look of the finance/wall street types as they are all wearing the vest/suit jacket look.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  Somewhere on the interwebs I am across an article detailing how this look - the vest over the suit jacket - was a bro look for all of the finance types. I think the article was on Put This On, but I could be mistaken. Anyway. I thought the article was an interesting read. The author talked about if you were to walk down the financial district of your area, you'd be ale to pick out the unofficial look of the finance/wall street types as they are all wearing the vest/suit jacket look.
                  Kind of like the bowler hat in London?

I got myself a quilted vest to wear working outside, to wear with casual clothing in the late winter/spring, but I got curious about it with a suit. It doesn't look like something I'll be trying.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                    I know the Patagonia "Better Sweater" vest was definitely a finance bro thing.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

My office is in midtown Manhattan with a fair number of finance bros around - I don't recall seeing that type of person with this look - quilted vest over suit - particularly among those guys. If they go suited, they don't risk the vest. I do see them in more outdoorsy vests a lot - Patagonia style, and fleece vests, often with company logos.

I think the people rocking this look are a little "fancier" in dress than the finance bros - people in more creative businesses like fashion, museums, etc. Maybe advertising/PR. All of which are around my office too.

But I could be wrong - I haven't asked people what business they work in when in this look.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                        But I could be wrong - I haven't asked people what business they work in when in this look.
                        I mean, one purpose of clothing is to signal membership in an in-group. That's based on the perception of affiliation more than the actuality. If people feel like it's a finance-bro thing, then in wearing it they would perceive me as part of the group. Not trying to distance myself from that particular group, but I was thinking of the vest as a piece of functional clothing. I'd probably be better off wearing a sweater like
                        Originally posted by DrewCPA
                        DrewCPA
                        said.

Comment

Working...
                        X