Fixing Boot Tongue in Place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing Boot Tongue in Place?

I ordered a pair of the waxed suede Kenton boots from J. Crew. They're pretty awesome, but the tongues on each boot fall way to the side, exposing my socks for a the last few eyelets. Honestly, I can't feel it--the laces aren't pushing against my socks or anything--but it drives me crazy. I know that it's normal for the tongue to fall to one side because of the shape of my foot, and it happens on all of my shoes, but not nearly this far.

I think I once saw something online about having a cobbler put a stitch in the tongue to hold it in place, but I can't seem to find that again. Does anyone know what the process is called, or have any experience with it, or know of any reason why I should or shouldn't do it?

For anyone who was wondering:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskACobbler...o_the_side_of/

I'll take the boots by a local shop and see what they suggest.

Comment

Same thing happened to me this fall! I got tired of the tongue slipping around whole walking, driving, etc. I found a spot partway up the tongue, about where the top of my foot meets the bottom of my ankle, where the joint bends. I cut two vertical slits in the tongue with a razor blade (the tongue and boot uppers are leather with fabric lining, so I had to get something sharp enough to cut through both), about one pinky width apart. I slipped the laces through and crossed them, then continued to leave the boots. No slipping, no sliding, no readjusting. I should have done this years ago.

Comment

Interesting. The slits won’t tear or spread? Because I’ll feel really stupid if I end up paying the cobbler 20 bucks for something I could do for free in 2 minutes. But maybe not as stupid as I’d feel ruining bee boots.

Comment

I did this early in the fall this year and I've worn them a lot, haven't spread yet. I'm not sure if the fabric lining helped maintain the integrity, or if it's something about the cut, or the fact that the eyelets are probably holding most of the force from the laces. But $20 is a good price for the piece of mind that it's done right, as opposed to the "just do it and see what happens attitude." And hopefully they can do it neatly, too, if you don't think you have a steady hand.

Don't know how I got there, but I just spent 10 minutes watching a YouTube video of a goodyear welting machine in slow motion. Neat!

Comment

a good number of my allen edmonds shoes have the tounges joined up like this. i think my neumoks and my strandmoks? i haven't come across boots with it, but i suppose it would work the same way. you can likely do it yourself with a sewing awl.

https://www.sailrite.com/Speedy-Stit...xoC8ssQAvD_BwE

Comment

separately, how do you like your kenton boots? do you think theyre worth the $119 they selling for now?

Comment

I bought a pair of Kenton boots 2 winters ago. After a short break-in period they feel great. The only issue I have is how easy they are to scratch up. I think some people appreciate the 'patina', but I was hoping they would have been a little more resistant to scratches/scuffing. What does everyone think? Has anyone else experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by flatbear View Post
                  separately, how do you like your kenton boots? do you think theyre worth the $119 they selling for now?
                  If you're looking for boots, yes, they're a good value at that price. I have last year's version, which is apparently different in many ways, and I like them a lot. Agree with Molson that they scratch pretty easily, but I like the look.

There was a good discussion on Reddit recently:
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...ons_new_model/

The waxed suede version of this year's boots feel much wider in the forefoot to me, but still true to size. But the reviewer on the main page says they run narrow, so that may not be the case for the smooth leather versions.

Comment

I've had two pairs of Kentons. The first pair were ruined in a motorcycle crash. I never had an issue with the tongues sliding aside. I bought a second pair to replace them and the tongue of the left boot drifts to the outside after a few hours, even if I'm mostly sedentary. I know the slit can prevent this, but I don't care for the look.

Not that I think it really matters, but both of my pairs have been the Kenton Pacer (Indy) boots, not the cap toe. I wonder if my cobbler could place some strategic stitches through the tongue near the throat using the existing stitches as a starting point.

Comment

Working...
                    X