Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations on American Made Denim (for my Wife)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations on American Made Denim (for my Wife)

My wife loves her Bluer jeans. But, they are starting to show their age and, more importantly, from a bounced back email and a barren online store, it is clear they are yet another COVID victim. I'm sorry to see them go!

Buying local and buying American made products is important to us. Buying from big box stores or Amazon is something we only do in rare, forced circumstances. I'd like to find another small, bespoke denim company that checks these boxes along with has a number of options for women. Selvedge denim is not important to her in case that information is helpful.

With the trove of knowledge here, what are your suggestions for a denim company that fits this criteria and also doesn't land within a price range that is eyeball popping (say, $200 or less)?

Thanks for your help!

Imogene & Willie and Railcar Fine Goods are two companies that come to mind. Rag & Bone still makes some of their jeans in the US but be careful to check the item description because they've shifted some production to Mexico. Seven For All Mankind and AG used to make all of their jeans in the US but I don't know if that's still true.

EDIT: Brave Star also has a limited selection for women. Unfortunately most MiUSA jeans are going to be on the pricier side. Railcar is probably your best bet for artisan jeans <$200 but they're still going to be on the expensive side. Nordstrom Rack usually has Rag & Bone so you might get lucky there. Naked and Famous aren't outrageously expensive either and they're made in Canada.
    Last edited by Geo; January 19, 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Things may have changed but a few years back I bought some jeans from DSTLD denim - they are one of those "we cut out the middle man to give you an incredible price because internet!" companies that only sell online. I bought a couple pair from them because I wanted to dip my toe in the raw denim pool to see how I felt about it and they had raw denim jeans for like $95, which was a lot cheaper than other raw denim I could find which ran roughly $200 a pair and up. They were made in the USA at the time, but things may have changed. They're nice jeans and pretty affordable for made in the USA (again, if in fact they still are). I don't think they were made from denim that was woven in the USA since nothing in their marketing made that claim so what they really are, I suspect, is cut and sewn in the USA from imported cloth.

The Google tells me that American Giant (most famous for their hoodie) has American made jeans on offer for men. Not sure about women though. Does Flint and Tinder do women's stuff? They do make jeans and a lot of their stuff is or at least was made in the USA. Then there are other internet direct to consumer outfits - Mott and Bow, Revtown, Dearborn Denim...of those I know Dearborn is cut and sewn in the Chicago area but have no idea about quality. Not sure whether the other two are made in the USA or overseas.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        Imogene & Willie .
        it's funny becasue not only hadi never heard of this brand before, but i also have ZERO idea what women want in a pair of jeans or what they want them to do, or anything about any of it. Looking at their marketing pics though, thepics seem to depict absolutley beautuful pieces of denim. From looking at their site i fucking LOVE them. You can tell in the way they market it, and the pictures they have that they seem like they like denim almost as a fetish, like the really intense way that i like it.

check out how immaculate, and well sewn this all is?

AND CHECK OUT THE COLOR VARIATION IN THIS WILD FADE omg it is just amazing. i never notice gals wearing rad jeans like these? where can i find me one?? :-D

Comment

FWIW, the Imogene + Willie crew has deep roots in US manufacturing. Carrie's parents ran a denim company in KY who used to manufacture for Levi's, Polo RRL, etc. A lot of their manufacturing used to be here in Nashville, but a lot of that is now outsourced to somewhere else in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
            FWIW, the Imogene + Willie crew has deep roots in US manufacturing. Carrie's parents ran a denim company in KY who used to manufacture for Levi's, Polo RRL, etc. A lot of their manufacturing used to be here in Nashville, but a lot of that is now outsourced to somewhere else in the US.
            I always wanted a pair from them but never ended up getting any. You can tell they're really passionate about denim and put in a ton attention to detail. I hear their showroom is really cool too. If I ever visit Nashville, I full intend on stopping by and picking up a pair.

Also, Raleigh Denim is another option for womens jeans made in the US.

Comment

Thanks for all the great replies. I knew the group wouldn't let me down!

Imogene + Willie has my top pick but there are others, clearly, that warrant investigation as well.

Comment

Working...
              X