Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when people used to post things here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mark4
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post

I can relate to this. There is a Frank & Oak in my part of the world. I've walked/driven by them a bunch of times in pre-pandemic times and never set foot inside. One of those stores I always wanted to check out, but never got around to it. Maybe when/if the world goes back to normal. I'll put it on my list.
    Yeah I'm going to wander in to there and Ministry of Supply (they're on the same block, assuming they're still there in the aftertimes). I did check out their website...they're more streamlined than J Crew and BR but similar price points and seem to have a little bit more of a sustainability ethos. Mostly it's casual basics but some of the stuff looks pretty good. Not a place to buy tailored clothing but for sweaters, shirts, chinos etc. it could be worth checking out. Some of their cold weather outer wear (mostly parkas) looks interesting. They have some nice looking merino wool sweaters - including turtlenecks, which are tempting me right now but I'm going to resist the urge for the time being.

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Originally posted by mark4 View Post
    While I'm on a roll pitching things I'd like to see...what about the stores like Frank and Oak and Ministry of Supply with retail footprints that are smaller than the Gap brands or J Crew...what are they about? I've walked by both here in DC pre pandemic but never got around to popping in there to see what they're about.
    I can relate to this. There is a Frank & Oak in my part of the world. I've walked/driven by them a bunch of times in pre-pandemic times and never set foot inside. One of those stores I always wanted to check out, but never got around to it. Maybe when/if the world goes back to normal. I'll put it on my list.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    mark4 what you are talking about falls squarely in the "maturing tastes" area. Dappered has made the decision to stay in the "Im new to caring about appearance" territory and that kind of stuff can confuse a newcomer. Im not saying htey are bad ideas, just that they seem to be outside of what this site is interested in. Just my observations. I have no actual insight into the direction of the main site.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    While I'm on a roll pitching things I'd like to see...what about the stores like Frank and Oak and Ministry of Supply with retail footprints that are smaller than the Gap brands or J Crew...what are they about? I've walked by both here in DC pre pandemic but never got around to popping in there to see what they're about. I'm not suggesting one of the main pagers go in those places right now as I don't want anyone going in anywhere they don't absolutely have to be right now, but when things return to normal - or use their internet presence to evaluate. Asos is another that springs to mind. It'd be interesting to get a view on those places' aesthetic, price points, etc. and what they do well vs. not so well,, how they fit, etc. If they're worthwile maybe include them in the sales roundups as appropriate? Or, if it turns out they're not worthwhile then knowing that's useful too.

Leave a comment:

• mark4
    replied
    The pandemic is definitely part of it. I feel like the main page is in something of a rut, too, and that's driving less traffic here. The main page seems to have settled into a pattern where they cover sales and style scenarios for a collection of wheelhouse brands, and those brands are mostly what get covered 90% of the time. BR (and sometimes The Gap or Old Navy), J Crew, AE, S&M, SS, Brooks Brothers and from Huckberry Astroflex, Flint and Tinder, and Proof. Then Target and Amazon and you have about 90% of non-watch content on the main page. Sometimes they cover Lands End and LL Bean, or Express every once in a while and Todd Snyder sales. All of said brands have been discussed here already so the need to discuss further isn't super-high.

i like Todd Snyder, but for a true fashion label with attainable price points and looks that work IRL as opposed to just on a fashion runway I think Alex Mill does some cool stuff. I discovered this place when Michael Bastian was that guy, then Todd Snyder became that guy...I feel like Dappered could maybe cover Alex Mill the same way. His stuff at full price is barely more expensive than J Crew at full price. I kind of feel like there's a market for upgraded "everyday casual" posts for guys who don't want to go full on athleisure/lounge wear but aren't wearing suits right now either. That's kind of the sweet spot Huckberry sits in, and a few of their lines get some coverage here, but they curate it must be about 2 dozen brands and maybe 4 get a mention on the main site. Many of those brands are no more expensive than Proof or Flint and Tinder so I don't know why they get totally ignored. Likewise, for a while some of the custom shirt makers (e.g. Ratio) got some coverage but not any time recently.

Then there's a bunch of other direct to consumer internet brands...DSTLD, American Giant, Everlane, Dearborn Denim, Mott and Bow, Revtown...the list goes on. Never a mention or review on the main site. Hell, even a major brand like Levis (they do A LOT more than just jeans, but a breakdown of their various fits/cuts in jeans might be useful) never gets covered on the main site anymore. Then there are the new what I would call "sustainability" labels - or some (Patagonia) are not so new, but there's United by Blue and others with an outdoorsy trail to tavern theme - they make some nice looking casual clothing. Covering any or all of the above would lead to chatter here on how brand X fits, what do you think of this other thing I saw on their website while looking at the thing Dappered reviewed, etc. None of that's happening here because the main site seems to have settled on a cohort of brands that deserve regular coverage and there doesn't seem to be much interest in branching out anymore. I don't want this to come off sounding too harsh towards the main site as I still get value from it. I just feel like there are brands and posts that I'd like to see, that are sitting there waiting to be written, instead of yet another mention of the latest weekly AE sale or hey there's a discount on core temp chinos.

Leave a comment:

• mcadamsandwich
    replied
    1. I don't think a lack of an image host has stopped anyone from sharing images. LOTS of people use hosting sites like imgur with success. If that's your barrier to sharing, that's a low barrier.
    2. Covid has hit clothing/fashion/shopping hard, especially the classic menswear side of things. Very few people are wearing a suit or sportcoat these days. Suiting isn't dead, but it's getting closer and closer to the minority edges of the male fashion ecosystem rather than front and center like it was almost a decade ago.
    3. Forums in general are much, much slower than a site like Reddit or Facebook which are tailored to fast, frequent updates and have a MUCH larger audience. Especially a younger audience who moves between different clothing genres. Reddit's MaleFashionAdvice has over 2.8MM members, FrugalMaleFashion has 2.2MM, GoodyearWelt has almost 150k, and Rawdenim has almost 100k. By contrast, Dappered Threads has 13k total and only a few hundred active on any given day.
    4. You can only show the same outfit or the same boots so many times. We have to have new members and organic growth if you want more lively talk.

In short, if you want more activity, reddit or facebook groups is what you're looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    Lack of image hosting is a big thing, if you look at how other forums like SF get activity it's people posting pictures of their AEs every single day in the AE enthusiasts thread. Second the cycle of newer people becoming more experienced and moving on mentioned earlier resonates with me. I've said this before but Dappered is great for newcomers and ingesting information in clear and concise bits, but the structure and ethos of Dappered (where style is presented as a system of rules and facts) doesn't really lend itself well to a lively community / back and forth discussion. When you go on MFA today you see wider silhouettes and more experimental stuff compared to if you looked at it in the early 2010s it was all OCBDs and slim chinos, if the definition of style wasn't changing / evolving through time then it'd probably be similarly quiet.

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    it does cycle. some format changes have made mobile posing a little different. Also, we did go through a little spurt where there were some...overbearing people that killed a lot of conversations so every post was predictable for a while. want a shoe? buy AE. want chinos or jeans? buy BR travelers. Need an OCBD? go to j crew. Need a watch? get a casio marlin\orient mako\hamilton field. All of this is great info for new people but it got to where new people asking old questions got shouted out. I cant speak for others, but it drove me away for a little bit. the place seems pretty chill these days, just slower topics due to pandemic I think.

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
    I dont think it's just here. I've noticed a significant downturn in the activity in a couple different forums I visit since the start of Covid, (here and a car forum). Figured it was related to changing focus/attention due to the pandemic, but who knows.
    I noticed this before COVID, but the lockdowns don't seem to have helped. The post-COVID slowdown is actually the opposite of what I expected--I started coming back because other options for my time have gone away, but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I wonder if the era of the forum is over. In the same way that BBSs are long dead, and blogs (especially amateur ones) are nearly dead, too. These days it seems that it's all Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Leave a comment:

• facelessghost
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post

Ehh.... very hit or miss. They seem pretty focused on the "fashion" aspect as the sub is littered with "inspiration posts" of effeminate males in dresses/skirts or just ridiculous outfits consisting of massively oversized shirts paired with baggy but short (think clam-diggers) pants, capes, etc... I'm subscribed, but don't really take the sub seriously... at all.
    Ha! Accurate. There are some good resources there--I recommend the Basic Bastard as the starting point for anyone not targeting a specific subculture, but Reddit doesn't really draw me back for regular participation. The active users there definitely skew more "enthusiast" than I do.

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    I dont think it's just here. I've noticed a significant downturn in the activity in a couple different forums I visit since the start of Covid, (here and a car forum). Figured it was related to changing focus/attention due to the pandemic, but who knows.

Leave a comment:

• whereismurder
    replied
    I don't know, or care, much about the newer brands a lot of people on here are into (spier being one).

I can recommend polo and brooks brothers only so often...

Those two things limit my participation.

I think another big reason activity has declined is there sort of used to be accepted rules for fit. Now there are so many different styles, fits, and rules it's hard to have a discussion.

There are also a ton of instagram influences dishing out wisdom too. Why ask a forum when you can comment on IG?

Leave a comment:

• abh159
    replied
    I've posted off and on over the past 2-3 years and used to be a weekly (sometimes daily) visitor/poster on the forum. These days I rarely ever visit. I think this was the first day I've looked in maybe 2-3 months? For me personally I lost interest because of 2 things:

1) I just don't care about style or anything related to it as much as I did this time last year. I don't think I've purchased anything clothing related since maybe January or February. Partially due to COVID but predominantly due to the fact that I now have what I consider a complete wardrobe and only have to buy something if it's replacing something that has worn out.

2) There seemed to be a period earlier this year when every other "new" post was just a spam link to some obscure or malicious website. I'm not sure if they ever found a way to solve that issue since I rarely visit these days, but I know that became a major factor in me choosing to not visit the forum anymore.

Leave a comment:

• CK83
    replied
    It's only natural that there is a lull (whether real or perceived) in activity on the forums right now.

It's hard to focus on blazer fit when, for the most part, people are still working from home at least in some capacity, and there are other major issues like a continuing pandemic and a...let's say...volatile political climate rightly pulling our attention away.

I'd say hang in there, and the activity will pick back up as more and more people are vaccinated, return to work in a more normal capacity, and the heat gets turned down from a politics perspective. And if those things don't happen, may God help us all.

Leave a comment:

• andrewrg
    replied
    Originally posted by DocDave View Post
    1. I've noticed the forum tends to cycle like this
    - new user joins forum looking for X information
    - experienced user provides guidance
    - this repeats for a while, then new user becomes an experience user
    - previous experienced users move on to other forums/interests
    - cycle repeats
    Agreed. In discussions I manage in my classroom, I get more participation when there's more interaction between participants, not people providing their own answer to the question. I think a good way to be an active participant and promote active participation in others is to respond to other people as well as the original thread post...Like I'm doing :P

I got u

Leave a comment:

Working...
X