Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when people used to post things here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember when people used to post things here?

I started paying attention to menswear around 2012 or 2013, and started posting here sometime in 2014 (or so says my profile). it seems like the forum was much, *much* more active back then than it is now or has been for the past several years.

Has everyone just left, or are most of you just lurking without participating much (as is true for me)? Have people lost interest in menswear, settled into a comfortable groove (again, as is true for me), moved on to different sites, just lost interest in product recommendations, or something else?

I miss the navel gazing and pointless debates and arguments we used to have around here...

Where's the best place to go for that without the (alleged) elitism of StyleForum or the social cluelessness of Ask Andy about Clothes?
    Last edited by facelessghost; January 12, 2021, 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

I would say go to reddit and r/malefashionadvice

Comment

I don't want to be all dressed up with nowhere to go. So, I don't care too much about men's wear or shoes right now. And I'm probably one of the more active posters now. I imagine others are feeling the same.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesl339 View Post
        I would say go to reddit and r/malefashionadvice
        Ehh.... very hit or miss. They seem pretty focused on the "fashion" aspect as the sub is littered with "inspiration posts" of effeminate males in dresses/skirts or just ridiculous outfits consisting of massively oversized shirts paired with baggy but short (think clam-diggers) pants, capes, etc... I'm subscribed, but don't really take the sub seriously... at all.

I'm less active here for a few reasons... I do still visit frequently, but with current events I haven't had to go to the office in nearly a year. I've been weightlifting for over 2 years and most of what I bought back after I found Dappered no longer fits. I still watch the deals and occasionally buy something, but for the most part it's been jeans/shorts and tees/henley shirts for months without end. Basically style has taken a backseat in my life. I dress casually, but not sloppy (no activeleasure stuff here), and for the most part, that's good enough.

Comment

I post less because of the lack of an image hosting option. With less images posted here, there is less to comment on or debate.

Comment

Got promoted (SNCO now) and have my hands fairly full with all my lil troopers so i read but dont frequently reply.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I’m a long time lurker, new poster. The pace of new posts seems to about right for me to keep up with, given the time I have for internetting. I’ve been active over at Badger and Blade for forever. B&B has a good “Haberdashery” forum that skews to an older demographic. Between here and there, I’m all set for style discussions.

Comment

I check far less frequently due to pandemic, new promotion meaning less time to search the internet, and overall pretty content with my wardrobe. I've learned a lot from this site in the initial years but I don't have a passion for clothing. I enjoy a good fit and finding the right items and feel I've gotten pretty far. I don't want to invest too much money in a ward robe, so I check but I find myself in a weird place where I'm happy with what I've got ... no sense for a massive ward robe and no want to spend big bucks to upgrade from things that work (e.g., S&M).

Comment

I've been semi-active on here for about 8-9 years. Ultimately, the lack of photos and the same rehashed stuff over and over on the forums makes people skim but not participate. Reddit and styleforum are much more visual and engaging to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                    I post less because of the lack of an image hosting option. With less images posted here, there is less to comment on or debate.
                    Yes, that too. Using Tapatalk I used to be able to post images, but that doesn't work anymore. I don't want to bother signing up for an image hosting site.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I think there are a few things happening here:

1. I've noticed the forum tends to cycle like this
                      - new user joins forum looking for X information
                      - experienced user provides guidance
                      - this repeats for a while, then new user becomes an experience user
                      - previous experienced users move on to other forums/interests
                      - cycle repeats

2. The pandemic has meant that people who were looking to buy clothes - and post questions about those closes - are posting less frequently

3. Users who were frequent posters on here are not posting as often

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        1. I've noticed the forum tends to cycle like this
                        - new user joins forum looking for X information
                        - experienced user provides guidance
                        - this repeats for a while, then new user becomes an experience user
                        - previous experienced users move on to other forums/interests
                        - cycle repeats
                        Agreed. In discussions I manage in my classroom, I get more participation when there's more interaction between participants, not people providing their own answer to the question. I think a good way to be an active participant and promote active participation in others is to respond to other people as well as the original thread post...Like I'm doing :P

I got u

Comment

It's only natural that there is a lull (whether real or perceived) in activity on the forums right now.

It's hard to focus on blazer fit when, for the most part, people are still working from home at least in some capacity, and there are other major issues like a continuing pandemic and a...let's say...volatile political climate rightly pulling our attention away.

I'd say hang in there, and the activity will pick back up as more and more people are vaccinated, return to work in a more normal capacity, and the heat gets turned down from a politics perspective. And if those things don't happen, may God help us all.

Comment

I've posted off and on over the past 2-3 years and used to be a weekly (sometimes daily) visitor/poster on the forum. These days I rarely ever visit. I think this was the first day I've looked in maybe 2-3 months? For me personally I lost interest because of 2 things:

1) I just don't care about style or anything related to it as much as I did this time last year. I don't think I've purchased anything clothing related since maybe January or February. Partially due to COVID but predominantly due to the fact that I now have what I consider a complete wardrobe and only have to buy something if it's replacing something that has worn out.

2) There seemed to be a period earlier this year when every other "new" post was just a spam link to some obscure or malicious website. I'm not sure if they ever found a way to solve that issue since I rarely visit these days, but I know that became a major factor in me choosing to not visit the forum anymore.

Comment

I don't know, or care, much about the newer brands a lot of people on here are into (spier being one).

I can recommend polo and brooks brothers only so often...

Those two things limit my participation.

I think another big reason activity has declined is there sort of used to be accepted rules for fit. Now there are so many different styles, fits, and rules it's hard to have a discussion.

There are also a ton of instagram influences dishing out wisdom too. Why ask a forum when you can comment on IG?

Comment

Working...
                              X