The bag thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bag thread

So what’s your favorite bag and why? For some reason I’ve been accumulating bags which serve different purposes. I probably have more than I need but it’s nice to have options.

I currently own a Gustin waxed canvas duffel, a Filson duffel (the cheap variant), an old Gravis/Tokion backpack, a Cannae legion day pack and 2 Master-Piece lightning shoulder bags. The Gustin duffel, Filson duffel and Cannae legion backpack serve as my bug out bags, in case shtf and I have to leave town. The Gravis backpack and Master-Piece bags are my daily go to bags for general use. I really like my Master-Piece shoulder sling bags for several reasons. They’re made in Japan, made from a water repellent tight weave nylon, and were both purchased on discount. Very practical but also great quality. I suppose the MP bags might be considered tech bags but I like them for their size and quality.

what about you? Do you have a favorite bag, be it a duffel, messenger bag or backpack?

Note to self: buy an Ortlieb 40l duffel 😂

dont get me started lol. OK, you got me started....

J. Crew Abingdon briefcase: this is my basic work bag. I like the brown canvas as an alternative to expensive leather or boring black. My workplace (when I go) is the casual side of business casual so it fits int just fine. Decent organization and not a ton of bulk.

TimBuk2 Authority Deluxe: For the days I need more stuff like if I'm work traveling or when I take the youngest kid for a "study outside" day, this is what I take. I can fit two laptops, my notebooks, highlighters, pens, etc but still not super bulky. Material is nice and water resistant. I can brush the dirt off from tossing it in my pigsty of a jeep. It has compression straps on the bottom for when you want to cinch it up some for smaller loads. I probably carry this one the most of any of my bags.

Fjallraven Raven 28L: This is my overnight bag. I can fit my laptop or tablet, plus a change of clothes and my small toiletry bag, no problem. I used to take a duffel for overnights but I always end up carrying other peoples crap so the backpack works better. Its grey with nice leather accents but still a high grade cordura that is pretty tough and water resistant. I also use it for "urban hiking"...a day outing on foot in the city. I can fit plenty fo electronics, extra layers, and food/drink. This is easily my second most used bag.

Canvas duffel: I found this beast at a thrift store for like $15. Brown canvas, real leather handles and accents. Its an oversized weekender or a "pack light" week. I packed for a full week in costa rica witht his thing and totally felt like Indiana Jones while walking through the airport. It also killed my shoulder lol.

Those are all of my "dappered" bags. If we want to get into the more "technical" stuff for hiking and camping, I can do that too.

Comment

REI road tripper small duffel. I go on business trips for a month or two at a time. It folds and zips into itself for a small package to throw in my suitcase. It's then great for the gym or coming home for a quick weekend trip when I don't want to bring very my large Tumi suitcase.

Osprey for hiking and camping. Without a doubt. Osprey Talon for day hikes. Osprey Atmos for multiday back country trips. Wife also has two Osprey packs. Completely sold on them for hiking and camping.

Tumi Collins briefcase. It was large at first, but once I got used to the size, I loved it. Great for business travel when I have to carry a binder or two in my briefcase with my laptop, notebook, and other stuff.

Tecovas. My mother in law has a Tecovas large duffle in bourbon leather. It's great. I bought my mom the large canvas duffle, and it is great. The briefcase looks great. I may buy one as my every day briefcase, while using the aforementioned Tumi for travel. I'm a big Tecovas fan, and their bags are as great as their boots, socks, and belts.

Comment

My “active” bags...

LAPG frunk pack: I use this for short hikes or to add a little capacity to my other packs. And yes, for when I want to carry a weapon on a hike.

patagonia atom sling: traveling light in the summer on day hikes. Holds a light layer, snacks, and water. Add on the frunk pack and I’m good for many miles. I also look like a super dork but whatever.

osprey daylite plus: very simple, very solid daypack that weighs about nothing. Works for the gym and stuff too. It’s pretty great.

REI trail 40: this is considered a large daypack but I use it for backpacking. I travel light. I like the layout and external attachment points.

LAPG 12 hour: this stays in the Jeep and is loaded with enough stuff for me to spend the night out of it. Just in case a day trip turns into more. Or if I break something I can walk to help lol. This bag is a little heavy and is very “tactical”looking but it is super solid and actually carries well.

and that’s it as far as what I actually use. I have some other bags but they don’t see the light of day much anymore.

Comment

J. W. Hulme duffel, nice but unfortunately now made in China; Saddleback doctor's bag; and Bosca partner's briefcase. I agree that Tecovas makes some nice stuff at a fair price. Only have the dopp kit so far.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
            My “active” bags...

LAPG frunk pack: I use this for short hikes or to add a little capacity to my other packs. And yes, for when I want to carry a weapon on a hike.
            In terms of practicality, how does the frunk bag fare? My Cannae legion pack has a compartment in the back of the bag for conceal carry, but it never struck me as useful if you needed to protect yourself in a pinch.

Comment

Hi All & Happy New Year!

Pre-pandemic, I was looking for the "perfect" commuter bag. I'd travel by train/bus to work daily, so having something handsfree (backpack) was optimal. I was using the Aer Duffel Pack 2, which is a great backpack, but my problem with that (and a backpack in general) is that on the days I had a formal meeting or needed to be in a suit, having the backpack just wasn't a good look from a style perspective. Aer is a good bag in that it offers great space for both laptops and personal items, but also has room for clothes like gym wear or such, and even has the slot for shoes too. The only thing I wish is that it was a top loader, the way the main compartment is setup, sometimes the full back zip-up can be quirky when trying to play a game of Tetris packing stuff.

So, I went on the hunt for a convertible backpack that could double as a briefcase-style bag for when I was suited or need to look more professional - the only thing I found which was intriguing was the Temporary Forevers 48 HR Switch Bag - can be a backpack, briefcase, or sling bag with simple changes provided.

Am I crazy to have this problem? Or anyone seen any similar bags or have had a similar conundrum? Or should I just get a standard laptop bag/briefcase and only use when I need it? Of course, when I start to go to work again...whenever that will be...
              Oral B.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post

In terms of practicality, how does the frunk bag fare? My Cannae legion pack has a compartment in the back of the bag for conceal carry, but it never struck me as useful if you needed to protect yourself in a pinch.
                i mena...it depends on what you expect. I only intend to use it on the trails when I have a backpack on that prevents a normal holster carry. so in that case...its fine because its better than the other options. I might end up doing a chest bag instead, eventually, we will see. but this was on sale so I had to give it a shot. no pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by blan2819 View Post
                  Hi All & Happy New Year!

Pre-pandemic, I was looking for the "perfect" commuter bag. I'd travel by train/bus to work daily, so having something handsfree (backpack) was optimal. I was using the Aer Duffel Pack 2, which is a great backpack, but my problem with that (and a backpack in general) is that on the days I had a formal meeting or needed to be in a suit, having the backpack just wasn't a good look from a style perspective. Aer is a good bag in that it offers great space for both laptops and personal items, but also has room for clothes like gym wear or such, and even has the slot for shoes too. The only thing I wish is that it was a top loader, the way the main compartment is setup, sometimes the full back zip-up can be quirky when trying to play a game of Tetris packing stuff.

So, I went on the hunt for a convertible backpack that could double as a briefcase-style bag for when I was suited or need to look more professional - the only thing I found which was intriguing was the Temporary Forevers 48 HR Switch Bag - can be a backpack, briefcase, or sling bag with simple changes provided.

Am I crazy to have this problem? Or anyone seen any similar bags or have had a similar conundrum? Or should I just get a standard laptop bag/briefcase and only use when I need it? Of course, when I start to go to work again...whenever that will be...
                  I actually dislike backpacks on public transportation. I like a messenger/briefcase with a good, close carry strap so that I can swing it behind while walking and into my lap when seated or standing. I dont like my bag being out of visual range when stationary. first, it means nobody is slipping their hands into it. second, I am less likely to have people bumping into it, whether its my fault or theirs. I use the j crew canvas bag for this situation. Canvas is casual leaning but I think its better than all the generic black nylon bags most people carry and also very versatile. I would carry it with a suit or jeans and a hoodie.

I think convertibles are uncomfortable in one form or the other. its either a backpack that you carry sideways or a messenger strapped to your shoulders. Just awkward. like when people say "this waist pack converts to a sling". no it doesnt. you just put a fanny pack on your shoulder. The ergos are terrible that way. There might be one out there that canges my mind, but I havent found it yet.

also, this falls into the "good not perfect" scenario. You are probably overthinking it. Most people wear no watch, black shoes with everything, and the standard black laptop bag. ANYTHING above that is an achievement, even at the "C suite" level of executives. What about a laptop slip with handles that you can put in your backpack? carry the pack to the office, take the slip out for going into meetings. I do that too.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg

Comment

I actually dislike backpacks on public transportation. I like a messenger/briefcase with a good, close carry strap so that I can swing it behind while walking and into my lap when seated or standing. I dont like my bag being out of visual range when stationary. first, it means nobody is slipping their hands into it. second, I am less likely to have people bumping into it, whether its my fault or theirs. I use the j crew canvas bag for this situation. Canvas is casual leaning but I think its better than all the generic black nylon bags most people carry and also very versatile. I would carry it with a suit or jeans and a hoodie.

I think convertibles are uncomfortable in one form or the other. its either a backpack that you carry sideways or a messenger strapped to your shoulders. Just awkward. like when people say "this waist pack converts to a sling". no it doesnt. you just put a fanny pack on your shoulder. The ergos are terrible that way. There might be one out there that canges my mind, but I havent found it yet.

also, this falls into the "good not perfect" scenario. You are probably overthinking it. Most people wear no watch, black shoes with everything, and the standard black laptop bag. ANYTHING above that is an achievement, even at the "C suite" level of executives. What about a laptop slip with handles that you can put in your backpack? carry the pack to the office, take the slip out for going into meetings. I do that too.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1500_.jpg
                    Great point re: Good not perfect. I also think that having something slim/presentable on hand which can fit into my bigger bag is also key. The amount of times I have a meeting doesn't outweigh the times where I don't have a meeting, and outside of a slim laptop, I don't need to carry anything else to the actual meeting. It's also easier to get away with a backpack over some kinda heavy coat than a backpack over a sport coat/suit jacket.
                    Oral B.

Comment

Originally posted by blan2819 View Post

Great point re: Good not perfect. I also think that having something slim/presentable on hand which can fit into my bigger bag is also key. The amount of times I have a meeting doesn't outweigh the times where I don't have a meeting, and outside of a slim laptop, I don't need to carry anything else to the actual meeting. It's also easier to get away with a backpack over some kinda heavy coat than a backpack over a sport coat/suit jacket.
                      yeah, get your self one of those little slips. I had one that I used to move my essential laptop stuff from one bag ot the other when I had different needs. easier than getting my laptop, charger, and wireless mouse and stuffing them in the alternate bag. I stole the idea from my outdoor stuff. I dont have the cash to have 3-4 sets of hiking supplies so I use little stuff sacks. I just grab the small first aid and the snack bag out of my "go bag" for day hikes vs repacking a new bag.

Comment

i mena...it depends on what you expect. I only intend to use it on the trails when I have a backpack on that prevents a normal holster carry. so in that case...its fine because its better than the other options. I might end up doing a chest bag instead, eventually, we will see. but this was on sale so I had to give it a shot. no pun intended.
                        I guess I figured an IWB appendix holster would make more sense if carrying a backpack. I don't have a CCW yet but do own a Vedder IWB light tuck holster. Conceals well and it has the claw attachment which prevents imprinting. Even on a hiking trail I'd be cautious of wild animals and/or some would-be criminal waiting to ambush me. The likelihood of these things happening is very small but still. But I digress.

Comment

Originally posted by gaseousclay View Post

I guess I figured an IWB appendix holster would make more sense if carrying a backpack. I don't have a CCW yet but do own a Vedder IWB light tuck holster. Conceals well and it has the claw attachment which prevents imprinting. Even on a hiking trail I'd be cautious of wild animals and/or some would-be criminal waiting to ambush me. The likelihood of these things happening is very small but still. But I digress.
                          I backpack sometimes, not just day hike. My hips are occupied carrying the weight. I can sag the frunk to get out of the way of the hip belt. Ive been all in the woods in my area for years and the only time animals are an issue is at camp. I could regular carry at camp, no problem. I actually carry for the 2 legged animals lol.

Comment

I have two. My daily driver is a pretty big Frost River waxes canvas (forget the model). I also have a burgundy Gustin with horween chromexcel but don’t use it much because it’s a tad small

Comment

Working...
                            X