Best watch you own less than $800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    Hamilton Field Khaki, 38mm. if I HAD to go to one watch, it would be this one.

My Seiko Samurai Blue Lagoon is a darn fine watch too.
    I will preface this by saying that I do NOT have a large watch collection. But I echo this one. I love my 38mm Field Khaki (wearing it right now), and it's very comfortably under $800. I basically split time evenly between wearing this and my Omega "Bond" SMP. I would also add Christopher Ward into the mix. I've been looking at them for years and they seem to be a great option in this price range. I especially love their C65 "retro diver" models, but many of their models look good. And they have some decent sales going on right now, to boot.

Comment

seiko srp777 turtle

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...black-and-gold

Comment

I don't have it yet, but I really dream about Seiko Samurai, as for me this is one of the most beautiful watches that I have seen in my life. Tell it so?

Comment

What style do you want? Dress? Dive? Chrono? Field? Aviator?

I am really liking Hamilton these days. I have a Khaki Pioneer Chrono. Modeled on a watch that Hamilton made for the UK MoD in the 1970’s, this version has an automatic ETA 7753-derived H31 movement. Splits the difference between Aviators and Chronos. I love mine. Normally about $2K, Nordstrom Rack has them on sale for $899 here:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/hami...lor=NO%20COLOR

Otherwise, I second the other recommendations above. My favorites in your price range are as follows: Field Watch: Hamilton Khaki Field; Diver: Seiko (several cool models); Dress: Seiko Cocktail Time. Hope this helps...
          Mark

Comment

I really loved my Christopher Ward Makaira Pro 500 (unfortunately lost to the sea a couple years ago when playing with my toddler in the surf). They don't make that specific model anymore but I'm eyeing another CW in my future, and would definitely recommend the brand from my limited experience.

I've been lusting after the C65 Trident. It retails over $800, but they have periodic 10-15% off sales.
            https://www.christopherward.com/int/...-S0BB0-VC.html

Comment

First of all, congratulations on 40 and for making your first "big watch purchase." Because this is going to be a splurge for you, I would highly, highly recommend sticking with a classic, timeless watch from a brand that has stood the test of time (no pun intended). While watches are historically supposed to be "tools," the reality is that it's a fashion item nowadays where the name of the brand on the dial does have some weight. Some folks in the Dappered crowd might object to that notion, but it's the reality in the watch enthusiast world.

That being said, I would vehemently recommend that you avoid any of the newer startup/micro-brands recommended in this thread. If it's going to be your ONE nice watch, then don't get it from a company that "started on Kickstarter in 2017 and is revolutionizing the world by eliminating the middle man." Stick to classic watchmakers and their most timeless models. To that end, Christopher Ward has gotten a lot of traction (and love) from Dappered over the years, but they're a relatively young watch brand that I would avoid.

Like others have recommended here, I think the Hamilton Khaki is a great option in this price range, and is well below your $800 budget. Super popular, classic everyday watch that can be worn with a t-shirt or a suit. And from a build quality perspective, it has just about everything you'd want for a solid entry level luxury watch - a workhorse automatic mechanical movement, see-through caseback (so you can see the mechanical movement in action), sapphire crystal (will be pretty difficult to scratch or chip), pairs well with just about any strap, and comes from a great brand with great heritage. If you prefer something a bit more dressy and less sporty, then Tissot would be a good option too.

Seiko's are also a great option - while the average Joe would associate them with cheap watches sold at mall kiosks, their watches in the $250+ range tend to outkick their coverage. Great build quality, unique designs, and they've generally been at the frontier of watchmaking for decades.

A third option would be to aim for a vintage Omega, but I wouldn't bother with this unless you're willing to spend a ton of time researching into the topic. While it's extremely easy to find vintage pieces nowadays, the shopping experience can be filled with landmines and really requires you to do your homework in order to get something without surprises.

Best of luck.

Comment

You may want to consider the Tissot Gentleman as an everyday watch. I've had one for a little over a year now. They come in quartz and automatic variants with leather straps or bracelets. They are available through grey market sellers, but they are also available at Authorized Dealers like Nordstrom and Macy's where they regularly go on sale for $500-$600 (for the automatics). I purchased my blue dial automatic on bracelet from Macy's for about $550.

If there is one knock against them, it is the lug width is 21mm, which is less common than 20mm or 22mm. However, it's really only a (theoretical) problem if you want to change straps. I am a bracelet guy, and so it's not really an issue for me.

https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/...ot%20gentleman
                Last edited by caktaylor; February 10, 2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

What about the Tissot TRX? The watch seems to be getting good reviews and is under your price range.
                  I'm also a big fan of the Seiko SKX 009.
                  Depends how dressy you want.

Comment

Surprised no one's mentioned the Orient Star line. My favorite watch (they're all substantially under $800) is my Orient Star Classic. They're about $300-400ish, though I got mine used for about $250ish. The silver hands and white dial may have been the more universally useful dress watch, and was my original goal, but at the last second I opted for the blue hands (Orient Star SAF02003W0 - apparently I'm not allowed to add a picture) and added a grained navy strap. I don't regret it at all. Another option would have been the champagne version with gold markers and hands on a tan or brown strap, but I already have the champagne small seconds Bambino, which fills that role, even it it's not as nice as the Orient Star line (I do absolutely love my Bambino SS, it's a very close second to the Star).

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFromTexas View Post
                      Surprised no one's mentioned the Orient Star line. My favorite watch (they're all substantially under $800) is my Orient Star Classic. They're about $300-400ish, though I got mine used for about $250ish. The silver hands and white dial may have been the more universally useful dress watch, and was my original goal, but at the last second I opted for the blue hands (Orient Star SAF02003W0 - apparently I'm not allowed to add a picture) and added a grained navy strap. I don't regret it at all. Another option would have been the champagne version with gold markers and hands on a tan or brown strap, but I already have the champagne small seconds Bambino, which fills that role, even it it's not as nice as the Orient Star line (I do absolutely love my Bambino SS, it's a very close second to the Star).

I think the main reason for that is that Orients tend to go awry after a few years. I had one go bad after 8 months, bought direct from Orient, and they said "no warranty because you probably did something to it."

Kinda left a sour taste in my mouth.

That said, every watch I have is nowhere CLOSE to 800 bucks lol...maybe add up all of them along with the melt value of the silver in my 1887 Rockford and you're close to 8 bills :P I have a couple Seikos I gravitate towards. Nothing special, but they look good and do the job nicely.

The aforementioned Rockford looks great with a 3-piece.

PW7 by Armed Ferret, on Flickr
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

G Shock GW 5000-1JF

Not a “nice” watch (which is my Nomos Tangente but it’s $1800), but I’m really digging the G shock.

I think a nearly new Christopher Ward Trident for under $800 would probably be my favorite “nicer” watch. Also, I have a $200 Seiko 5kx which I think is fantastic

Comment

Working...
                        X