Peacoat Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peacoat Advice

Which peacoat is the best? Which brands should I consider?

US Navy Issue.

Retail, depends on your budget. The Billy Reid is spectacular but Spier's offering at roughly half the price is hard to beat.

Unless you can source a USN issue peacoat. Knees of the bee, sir.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
      Retail, depends on your budget. .
      it also depends A LOT on your amount of cold you have. if you live in somewhere like Georgia where it doesn't get belkow 20 deg. F, then you want to make sure you get a thin wimpy one :-D the real ones are WAY WAY too warm for warm areas..

if you live somewhere like boston, you want the full STERLINGWEAR NAVY SPEC one, which is designed for being on a ship deck with heavy winds, basically. 28 ox melton wool with a little nylon for super durability long term. usually super super warm. can even be uncomfortably warm in the conditions that aren't being outside in the cold.

I have one of those (in Navy) from Sterlingwear that is an "authentic" model. I also have one that is a tiny bit less hot and a very small bit fancier.called the Navigator (in black for what it is worth)which has 100% melton wool in slightly lower 24 oz weight. It is still very warm, but allows you to be inside for a little while with out boiling quite the way the original one does to you.

sterlingwear has stopped producing coats so they are less available then i would have wanted to say initiallly, but they are still widely available second hand at least. They are so durable and timeless, i would said that it well worth getting a good use example.

I they are both great coats, though i did have to re-sew a number of the original buttons back on. Whomever had put them on my Navigator just didn't sew them on the correct way.

Comment

It definitely doesn't get that cold where I live, and when it does, I can layer. (I like to wear sweaters). Also, the Billy Reid is way too expensive. Any suggestions for a thinner Peacoat?

Comment

The Schott NYC pea coat is a classic, but it's not on the lighter weight side.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
            It definitely doesn't get that cold where I live, and when it does, I can layer. (I like to wear sweaters). Also, the Billy Reid is way too expensive. Any suggestions for a thinner Peacoat?
            I'd say check J Crew or Spier.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I own the Billy Reid, it's overrated. It absolutely is a home run in terms of looks and quality, but it's completely unlined and has no interior pockets, which are dealbreakers for me in terms of recommending it to anyone else. It's definitely not something you could realistically wear on the deck of a ship in the North Atlantic like the Schott-manufactured Navy issue coat.

Comment

Spier and Mackay has some really nice looking coats.

Comment

Working...
                X