Tailoring Express Topcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailoring Express Topcoat

Long time reader, first time poster. I was searching and just couldn’t find what I was looking for to my question.

Anyone have experience getting a off the rack top coat tailored?

I got one from express on sale in my size but it’s a little bulky in the mid section and the sleeves could be tapered/shortened. Just curious if this can be done.

thanks!

If your tailor can handle a suit, they should have no issue. The construction and design is largely the same.

Anything can be tailored if there's enough fabric and money. Since you're taking it in the fabric won't be a problem. And neither suppressing the waist nor narrowing the sleeves are particularly difficult, unless you want to narrow the sleeve opening or flare the coat below the waist into an hourglass shape. (Difficulty is mostly a question of how many seams have to be opened to make the alterations.) Traditional outerwear fabrics aren't any more difficult to work with than suit fabrics; a heavy tweed is probably thicker than an Express coat.

Comment

Absolutely can....get a quote before you have them start the work though. I wouldn't be surprised if doing both of those alterations runs in the $60 plus range. If it's worth it to you, it's worth it. Not sure what you paid for the coat, but I've many times had budget items altered and had buyers remorse after. Also, remember the topcoat can and should fit a bit looser than your tailored wear. Afterall, it should fit over your suit, even if that's not what you use it for most of the time.

If you're looking for a good tailor, I always found Yelp to be a pretty good place to start. Good luck!

Comment

My wife just started tailoring my outerwear (JCrew pea coat, Spier and Mackey topcoat) and its so much better now! Basically, she just suppressed the waist/body of the garment and it now my coats feel like a million bucks now. Maybe you could learn to tailor it yourself and save some money? Especially when the garment wasn’t that expensive in the first place.

Comment

For sure! I've had 3 tailored so far.

Comment

Working...
          X