wore a blazer on Zoom call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wore a blazer on Zoom call

Second or third time since I started working from home in March, and in this case it was just for the hell of it.

A completely unstructured navy blazer. And I think I'll do it more with similarly casual jackets in the future.

I still haven't worn dress shoes since March.

Good for you!

Now that it's getting colder, I anticipate wearing jackets more often just for warmth. My chunky shawl-collar sweaters just feel too casual. It's also nice to actually wear the nice clothes I've spent years researching and purchasing. On the other hand, I've been wearing dress shoes pretty regularly. I disinfected/cleaned about 6 pair and wear them most hours that I'm working. I just feel more mentally geared toward work.

Comment

Did anyone else? We do Zoom calls daily since March. I have yet to see anyone wear a jacket. I was surprised when we had a new hire orientation for a new person we brought on and she was wearing just a normal grey t-shirt. I don't mind people not going full business dress but ... come on.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        Did anyone else?
        My boss actually did on the same call! He might have had an external meeting or it might be because he's travelling and doesn't have a sweater.

But to the general point, the same way in the office I'm often (not always) one small step up in formality than my male peers, it felt the same way on Zoom. I did it again today on a big internal meeting.

Comment

Just make sure to wear proper pants. I am an attorney and attended a Zoom hearing recently where I wore shorts with my shirt, jacket, and tie. Opposing counsel was late, so I called him on my phone per the judge's request. Out of habit, I stood up to move away from the computer to make the call. Luckily the judge did not pay any attention, and I caught myself and sat back down before she turned back to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
            Just make sure to wear proper pants. I am an attorney and attended a Zoom hearing recently where I wore shorts with my shirt, jacket, and tie. Opposing counsel was late, so I called him on my phone per the judge's request. Out of habit, I stood up to move away from the computer to make the call. Luckily the judge did not pay any attention, and I caught myself and sat back down before she turned back to the screen.
            Yeah. I'm in chinos or corduroys at home when working.

Summer was different. My workstation is next to my AC, which I hve to turn off during calls due to noise. So I've worn pretty nice short-sleeve collared shirts on work calls when it's hot. And sometimes shorts with those - very "dressy" - khaki or blue or gray. That might be seen sometmes, but doesn't worry me that much insofar as it's congruous with what I wear up top.

I never shorts just to be less formal/comfy other than heat.

Comment

I was having fun getting to wear suits n stuff when i had to go in. Chief finally ended that lol. Probably because of my 5 month beard

Oh well. cammies work too.
              https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Why is this a big deal? I mean, my job requires neither blazers not zoom calls, so I don't understand. I would have assumed that if you normally wear a suit to work, you would wear it on zoom.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                  Why is this a big deal? I mean, my job requires neither blazers not zoom calls, so I don't understand. I would have assumed that if you normally wear a suit to work, you would wear it on zoom.
                  Many people are dressing more casually in working from home. Some far more casually.

A suit in the home seems incongruous, even on a work call.

Comment

Thats why you find a reason to gallivant in public (even if you just go for a stroll downtown without actually going anywhere in partickler).
                    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                      Thats why you find a reason to gallivant in public (even if you just go for a stroll downtown without actually going anywhere in partickler).
                      Good and funny point. Which makes me think that if we go into a deep crisis where I am (New York CIty) similar to what was happening in April, I might be more reluctant to "dress up" since it might suggest I'm going out to meet people. Hopefully that won't come up.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post

Good and funny point. Which makes me think that if we go into a deep crisis where I am (New York CIty) similar to what was happening in April, I might be more reluctant to "dress up" since it might suggest I'm going out to meet people. Hopefully that won't come up.
                        I imagine if anybody were to confront you, after this long in a pandemic they'd understand you deciding to get dressed up just to go outside. Any sliver of normality, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                          Did anyone else? We do Zoom calls daily since March. I have yet to see anyone wear a jacket. I was surprised when we had a new hire orientation for a new person we brought on and she was wearing just a normal grey t-shirt. I don't mind people not going full business dress but ... come on.
                          Same here. I'm a high school teacher, and I'm on video conferences for 5+ hours every day. Most men in staff meetings wear collared shirts, but not all. Most women wear sweaters or long sleeved shirts. Most students don't have their cameras on during class, but if I were a 14 year old talking online to people I've never met in real life, I'd probably feel the same way. But, I've kept up wearing jackets most days (once or twice a suit, and some sweaters instead of jackets). And I've discovered
                          • Blazers look like butt when you're holding a guitar while sitting (I teach music)
                          • Wearing a blazer still makes me feel like someone worth listening to. Or at least makes me feel like I'm AT work. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Working...
                          X