Need help with this sweater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with this sweater

First of all, I know this is a pretty lame outfit: I was in the field most of today (I'm a wildlife biologist) so function took precedence over form. This is a collared cotton sweater from The Gap I've had for about 5 years now that has been a regular part of my winter sweater rotation. I know, the gray t-shirt is pretty lame, but what else can I wear under this, if anything? I like the color and the fit isn't too bad, but I just don't know how to avoid the glaring "t-shirt triangle" look with this sweater. If I didn't wear an undershirt I fear the amount of chest hair would be just as hideous. Is it better if I just kept this as a beater layering piece for winter field work or do you guys see any way I can make this work as part of my regular office rotation?

Is that a sweater or a thick shirt? It's cut exactly like a long sleeve polo. Anyways, you could try a henley underneath. Or a v-neck undershirt. It does seem like the collar is large, though. As if it hangs particularly low in front. Usually when something buttons up, it buttons up to the neck.

Comment

There are three buttons total, typically I only button the bottom one because the collar looks ridiculously tiny when I button the bottom two. I think it was called a sweater in the store, although you're right in that it looks more like a long-sleeve polo. I guess a henley could work, although it would have to be pretty lightweight because this thing is pretty warm.

Comment

If it's a knit polo, and sweater-like, I'd be tempted to wear a button up shirt underneath it. A casual one with a pattern, maybe -- like a blue gingham, or something. It's not bad to have two collars.

Comment

Instead of avoiding the t-shirt triangle, you can embrace it and make it look cool by wearing a striped t-shirt. This isn't the best example, but it's the closest I have to the colors that you're dealing with (it's with a normal collared shirt, but I've done this with polos and sweaters as well):

The striped t-shirt almost makes the triangle look like a handkerchief (minus the flamboyance).
          Last edited by DB; November 11, 2012, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X