Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June Wedding Vineyard - Groom Attire

Hi Everyone!

Looking to buy a suit for my small (40 person) wedding in June next year. It is on a vineyard and I am looking for a blue suit that adds a little bit more color than a dark navy with maybe brown shoes but have no idea where to start. Does anyone have any ideas of styles or specific links to places I should explore? Really appreciate the help!!

Do you have a budget?

Comment

Do you want to stick with blue but not navy, or go with some other color entirely? That blue windowpane shadow check suit from Black Lapel in Joe's recent "suit purchase priority list" post on the main page looks pretty nice. Adds a nice pattern/texture without going too bold. The grey Spier one listed right below it (gotta click through to see the image) also looks nice and is on sale for $200 right now. It's a shade or two lighter than stodgy charcoal grey and has a nice subtle blue windowpane pattern.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Looking to spend a max of $1k and stick with the blue, thank you so much for the help!
        Last edited by tennis717; November 12, 2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Check out Spier & Mackay or Suit Supply. Both offer great suits at reasonable prices. Spier & Mackay is probably better value but Suit Supply has easier returns, wider selection and more price tiers. Most of Spier & Mackays suits are on sale right now for $199 which is an absolute steal. Unfortunately, they're final sale so its a risk. You really can't go wrong with either company though.

I highly recommend the Indigo Sharkskin suit from Spier & Mackay or a similar color from Suit Supply. Its the suit I wore down the aisle a few years ago and I chose it for the same reasons. My wife and I agreed on blue suits but I wanted something a little brighter than navy. The indigo color is dark enough that it still comes off as somewhat formal but it really pops when up against navy. I also think the color is more timeless than those bright electric blue suits that seem really popular now. I recommended it recently it in another thread because I think its a really versatile suit that can be worn in a lot of situations.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...-22-22112-f1h1

Comment

Originally posted by tennis717 View Post
            Looking to spend a max of $1k and stick with the blue, thank you so much for the help!
            In that case I'll piggyback on @Geo's suggestion and also recommend both SuitSupply and Spier & Mackay. Both offer the best bang for your buck and both should have what you're looking for in terms of shade. I'd probably give the slight edge to SS just because their return process is easier. They also have a number of brink and mortar stores across the US so you might have one near you. Unfortunately, S&M only offers free returns on your first purchase and to my knowledge only has one store that is located in Canada.

I own the Napoli suit in navy from SuitSupply and have been very satisfied with it. I don't have a suit from S&M, but I do have their navy hopsack blazer and it is about as perfect as a navy blazer gets. Either way if you ultimately decide to go with one of those two you won't be disappointed.

For style I'd recommend you stick with a traditional solid color suit. I love textured and patterned suits but find them to look a little out of place at a wedding especially on the groom.
            Last edited by abh159; November 12, 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post
              For style I'd recommend you stick with a traditional solid color suit. I love textured and patterned suits but find them to look a little out of place at a wedding especially on the groom.
              True for the groom, but in summer on Martha's Vineyard, as a guest I'd be in seersucker. Maybe not in June - it might be cool. But July and August? Hell yeah.

Actually, if the wedding is in late June and we're over covid then, I'll be on the island. Can i crash your gig Tennis717?

Comment

In that case I'll piggyback on @Geo's suggestion and also recommend both SuitSupply and Spier & Mackay. Both offer the best bang for your buck and both should have what you're looking for in terms of shade. I'd probably give the slight edge to SS just because their return process is easier. They also have a number of brink and mortar stores across the US so you might have one near you. Unfortunately, S&M only offers free returns on your first purchase and to my knowledge only has one store that is located in Canada.

I own the Napoli suit in navy from SuitSupply and have been very satisfied with it. I don't have a suit from S&M, but I do have their navy hopsack blazer and it is about as perfect as a navy blazer gets. Either way if you ultimately decide to go with one of those two you won't be disappointed.

I like SS in theory but their Napoli fit just doesn't suit my frame that well. I have one Napoli, and my drop is a standard 6 inch drop (I'm a 38 jacket and a 32 inch waist)...they had to bring the jacket in considerably through the body because it was boxy off the rack through the torso, and then despite that the pants were too tight and they let them out but they never have been exactly perfect. Still a little snug to the point that there's some pulling at the pockets. Generally speaking they don't offer separates (unless their policy on that could have changed maybe?) so if you don't fit their drop you are SOL. Even if you do fit their drop - I have pretty skinny legs and my posterior is not overdeveloped - no one would accuse me of hitting the squat rack too hard. In fact no one would accuse me of hitting the squat rack at all. Nevertheless their pants are too tight on me even though my dimensions conform exactly to their ideal. If they work for you they are nice suits though. I haven't tried S&M either so can't speak to them.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I like SS in theory but their Napoli fit just doesn't suit my frame that well. I have one Napoli, and my drop is a standard 6 inch drop (I'm a 38 jacket and a 32 inch waist)...they had to bring the jacket in considerably through the body because it was boxy off the rack through the torso, and then despite that the pants were too tight and they let them out but they never have been exactly perfect. ...
                  I've had the chance to compare the SS Napoli, Lazio and S&M Contemporary in one sitting and find the Napoli mis-matched between jacket and trousers. I fit fairly well into a Contemporary 36R (take in trouser and jacket waists, let out the chest). With the Napoli, the 34 jacket measured similarly to a 36 from S&M and a 36 Lazio. The 36 Napoli trousers were skintight, but that's a style choice while the 34 were unwearable. The Lazio is consistent between its jacket and trousers, fitting just a touch trimmer overall than the Contemporary.

That said, both companies provide comprehensive and accurate garment measurements on their websites. It makes comparisons fairly easy, at least to knowing whether a tailor can adjust it to fit you.

Comment

I like SS in theory but their Napoli fit just doesn't suit my frame that well. I have one Napoli, and my drop is a standard 6 inch drop (I'm a 38 jacket and a 32 inch waist)...they had to bring the jacket in considerably through the body because it was boxy off the rack through the torso, and then despite that the pants were too tight and they let them out but they never have been exactly perfect. Still a little snug to the point that there's some pulling at the pockets. Generally speaking they don't offer separates (unless their policy on that could have changed maybe?) so if you don't fit their drop you are SOL. Even if you do fit their drop - I have pretty skinny legs and my posterior is not overdeveloped - no one would accuse me of hitting the squat rack too hard. In fact no one would accuse me of hitting the squat rack at all. Nevertheless their pants are too tight on me even though my dimensions conform exactly to their ideal. If they work for you they are nice suits though. I haven't tried S&M either so can't speak to them.
                    I always find it interesting that the same item can fit two people totally different. Of course I guess that's the downfall of not going full out bespoke. I'm the same size as you (38 jacket / 32 waist), but the Napoli fit me perfectly. I consider myself to be in decent shape for someone who is 6 ft and 165 lbs, but by no means do I look like I frequent the gym. The only alterations I had to do was hemming the pants and lengthening the sleeves by 1/2 inch because I have longer arms.

One of the reasons I gave SS the slight advantage is because they have 35+ stores across the US so you can actually go in and find your perfect fit/style without having to worry about the possibility of multiple returns (assuming you live reasonably close to one). Especially since S&M only covers the cost of the return on your first purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post

True for the groom, but in summer on Martha's Vineyard, as a guest I'd be in seersucker.
                      And I'd be in my deep water JCrew cotton-linen "unsuit." I love that thing and will wear it to every spring/summer wedding from now until the end of time.

Comment

I always find it interesting that the same item can fit two people totally different. Of course I guess that's the downfall of not going full out bespoke. I'm the same size as you (38 jacket / 32 waist), but the Napoli fit me perfectly. I consider myself to be in decent shape for someone who is 6 ft and 165 lbs, but by no means do I look like I frequent the gym. The only alterations I had to do was hemming the pants and lengthening the sleeves by 1/2 inch because I have longer arms.

One of the reasons I gave SS the slight advantage is because they have 35+ stores across the US so you can actually go in and find your perfect fit/style without having to worry about the possibility of multiple returns (assuming you live reasonably close to one). Especially since S&M only covers the cost of the return on your first purchase.
                        It's the height to weight ratio. In SS I'm actually a 38S in the jacket. I'm 5'8" and about 150 lbs. At the time I bought the suit I was probably closer to 155. I'm not carrying much if any excess fat but also it's not jacked muscle either - I think it's just people have different bone structures. Some people are broad relative to their height compared to others because of the way their skeleton formed.

Comment

Originally posted by Burner View Post

And I'd be in my deep water JCrew cotton-linen "unsuit." I love that thing and will wear it to every spring/summer wedding from now until the end of time.
                          Those J Crew unsuits are great for summer weddings. Probably not available right now though if he's looking to buy in advance. Plus, as a guest I would feel fully dressed in one...as the groom maybe they're a little casual. Certainly it would be fine for the groom these days but if it were my wedding I'd probably go with wool. Tropical weight wool if available. 4 season wool if not...I've never been there but I'm guessing Martha's Vinyard doesn't get super hot in the summer, especially not by June.

Comment

I've never been there but I'm guessing Martha's Vinyard doesn't get super hot in the summer, especially not by June.
                            Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                            True for the groom, but in summer on Martha's Vineyard, as a guest I'd be in seersucker. Maybe not in June - it might be cool. But July and August? Hell yeah
                            Not sure it matters, but the OP just said "a vineyard" and not specifically Martha's Vineyard. For all we know his wedding could be at a vineyard in Michigan.

On a side note I'm now imagining what wine from a Michigan vineyard tastes like and I'm holding back the urge to vomit..

Comment

Not sure it matters, but the OP just said "a vineyard" and not specifically Martha's Vineyard. For all we know his wedding could be at a vineyard in Michigan.
                              Ah, my bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X