Spier and Mackay Chunky Cardigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier and Mackay Chunky Cardigan

So I bought the S&M chunky cardigan in navy and for the most part agree with the recent review posted at Dappered. If any of you purchased it - what are your thoughts?

I'll add a couple of points from my observation:
    • I think the price is actually extremely good for the sweater you're getting. I found, in a search for a well made, wool, chunky cardigan with a substantial shawl collar and raglan sleeves, that prices will range from $250-$500. You might get a cardigan with some of those properties for about $100ish or less, but I haven't found one with all of those properties at $100 or less (and maybe I'm not looking hard enough). In looking at the typical stores and sites covered on dappered, the most common failing for shawl collared cardigans is that the collar is too slight or small and doesn't hold up to the beefiness of the rest of the sweater, if it is beefy at all (I want a collar that will double as a scarf if I need it to). I think that's exaggerated on someone like me who's a larger guy (48R). I even inquired about ordering a custom shawl cardigan from Kent Wang - but got a reply that they don't make my size, even with a custom order.
    • My one nitpick with the sweater - The keeper for the collar button (the small button at the top when you want to close it near the neck area) is so small that it's essentially useless. The first sweater I got, the keeper immediately broke, or was broken, when I tried to fasten the top. S&M replaced the sweater promptly and easily, but while the keeper on the new sweater feels a bit more solidly attached, it's still so small that I don't think I'll try attaching that top button. That's a shame, but it's not a deal breaker and not something that will keep me from enjoying the sweater. I hope they address the issue in future iterations - but I'm hoping my sweater will last me many seasons.

That is one I am keeping my eye on. Can't justify right now since I already have two others https://www.muji.us/store/men-andes-...-cardigan.html and https://www.ctshirts.com/us/merino-c...digans&start=1

But Spier is the first I've seen with the keeper/collar button.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFromTexas View Post
      [*]My one nitpick with the sweater - The keeper for the collar button (the small button at the top when you want to close it near the neck area) is so small that it's essentially useless. The first sweater I got, the keeper immediately broke, or was broken, when I tried to fasten the top. S&M replaced the sweater promptly and easily, but while the keeper on the new sweater feels a bit more solidly attached, it's still so small that I don't think I'll try attaching that top button. That's a shame, but it's not a deal breaker and not something that will keep me from enjoying the sweater. I hope they address the issue in future iterations - but I'm hoping my sweater will last me many seasons.[/LIST]
      I saw that feature in the review on the main page and was wondering why they even put it on the sweater. I understand it's purpose in theory, but as some who has owned a chunky cardigan for several years I can honestly say I've never found myself in a situation where I wished I could close the neck area. Granted the only time I ever really wear my chunky cardigan outside is just a quick trip to take out the trash or let one of our dogs out, but if it's so cold out that you need to protect your neck from the wind/cold you should probably have on more than a sweater.

To me having that button there throws off the aesthetics quite a bit. Especially on the lighter colors where it tends to stand out a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by abh159 View Post

I saw that feature in the review on the main page and was wondering why they even put it on the sweater. I understand it's purpose in theory, but as some who has owned a chunky cardigan for several years I can honestly say I've never found myself in a situation where I wished I could close the neck area. Granted the only time I ever really wear my chunky cardigan outside is just a quick trip to take out the trash or let one of our dogs out, but if it's so cold out that you need to protect your neck from the wind/cold you should probably have on more than a sweater.

To me having that button there throws off the aesthetics quite a bit. Especially on the lighter colors where it tends to stand out a lot more.
        Yeah I think that keeper was probably for looks rather than use. I have a couple of sport coats and an overcoat with a tab up by the neck that in theory would allow me to close the lapels together there at the top but...I've never once used that feature.

I have a chunky shawl collar from J Crew...it has to be more than a decade old at this point. The shawl collar is not in any way shape or form skimpy. While J Crew may have skimped on the lapels of their Ludlow suits for a while there, they definitely did not skimp on the shawl collar for the sweater I have. Not sure what this year's iterations (if they're even doing a shawl collar cardigan this year) look like - maybe they have thinned things up from when I bought mine, but might we worth checking out for someone who thinks the S&M one is a little too far outside their price range. Mine's a wool/alpaca/acrylic blend and is really warm. Obviously 100% merino would be better - maybe not necessarily warmer but acrylic isn't something I generally look for in sweater material, but I bought this one at a brick and mortar store without looking at the tag, and even to this day if I had not read the tag I would swear it's 100% wool.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X