Will S&M survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will S&M survive?

Like many here I greatly enjoy S&M. They seem to fit that perfect niche of style to cost. But with the main page talking about another major sell of theirs ... I wonder how much companies like them are hurting? Do you think they will survive the pandemic?

I wish I could justify a suit at those great prices but mine have hardly been touched since March.

Similar here. I barely wore suits before, but there were some which had caught my eye (mostly the Neapolitan cut, which is not included in the sale). Hope they are able to make it. Kamakura closed their US stores, but kept online store. Best Made Co. is now under Duluth Trading Company. Hugh & Crye is in holding pattern.

Comment

If you're paying close attention, they're pivoting to more casual garments. Nice outerwear, shoes, etc. that aren't so "traditional dress".

Comment

According to Rick on IG: "we're good. We have a diverse enough product line now. But suits are not moving as quickly as we need. Better to move them out, free up warehouse space and keep cash rotating."

Speaking of BestMade, they seemed to have fallen very early on (mid March) soon after COVID hit. Wouldn't be surprised if there was more to it than the pandemic.

Comment

Personally, I really don't think a good old fashioned ball gag will ever go out of fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
            Personally, I really don't think a good old fashioned ball gag will ever go out of fashion.

This is hilarious!!! Needed that laugh.

I absolutely hope that SM makes it through this. They are my absolute go to. I am really hoping they release some donegal (or something similar) tabbed trousers. Right now they are all belt looped.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

Do I have to pay extra to have the crotch gusset tapered for me?

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

Do I have to pay extra to have the crotch gusset tapered for me?
                i have heard if you go into the store for an initial fitting, they will throw in crotch gusset adjustments for free. pretty sweet service if you ask me.

Comment

I will admit, the sale tempted me to splurge and buy a suit from them. But the flip side is that I barely ever wore suits anymore before the pandemic, and now even less so. I don't even know when I might need to wear one again, that my existing suits wouldn't suffice for. With that being said, I do sort of want to clear out my suits (or keep like 1 of them), and just buy one "nice" navy/blue suit for the future. Have one well fitting, go-to suit for when those occasions arise.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                    I will admit, the sale tempted me to splurge and buy a suit from them. But the flip side is that I barely ever wore suits anymore before the pandemic, and now even less so. I don't even know when I might need to wear one again, that my existing suits wouldn't suffice for. With that being said, I do sort of want to clear out my suits (or keep like 1 of them), and just buy one "nice" navy/blue suit for the future. Have one well fitting, go-to suit for when those occasions arise.
                    Ditto. I almost pulled the trigger on a light grey suit just because the price was so good, and I have a $100 gift card credit via their referral program that's been burning a hole in my pocket for over a year now. Then I realized that even pre-COVID I only wear a suit 7-8 times a year max. Seeing as how I already have 2 nice suits (one navy and one in a slightly lighter shade of blue) there is really no point in me buying another I'll rarely wear.

I am glad S&M is branching out into more casual pieces though. I can definitely see myself buying some sweaters or chinos from them at some point in the future. Maybe even some polos if they can get the sizing figured out on those. I fully intended to buy some of their polos this year until I saw the updated size chart and determined I am neither short enough nor round enough for it to fit me properly.

Comment

I hope they survive...sounds like they're doing OK so far. I have actually never bought anything from them yet - I've been set on suits for a few years now. Some of their outer wear is tempting but I don't need a full on dress overcoat - I have one from Abercrombie and Fitch of all places that I got on PutThisOn's recommendation - they had a post titled "You'll never get a cooler piece of $150 outerwear" - the primary jacket was a J Crew canoeist smock but then later down in the article they mentioned the Abercrombie "Dad Coat" which came in a grey herringbone and a tan houndstooth check made with Abraham Moon Mills tweed, which is the one I got. It's dressy enough for work and super great worn casual. I also have a navy duffle coat I use as an overcoat. Eventually I guess I should get a proper charcoal dress overcoat. I don't know, the only thing I'd wear it over is a tux (which I never have black tie events so it's pretty irrelevant) or a suit in a dressed up work environment or wedding type situation. Those are thin on the ground these days too.
                      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Outerwear can be pretty flexible, and classics like a simple dark overcoat with a matte felted or tweedy texture can extend to pretty casual outfits. The shorter lengths today help, compared to the enveloping mid-shin coat of last century. A turtleneck, or anything with a substantial collar is usually enough to carry a coat that ends above the knee.

My primary winter coat these days is a Banana Republic single-breasted topcoat in a greyish-brown Donegal fabric. Looks just as appropriate over my suits as it does over jeans and a sweater or mock neck shirt. The trim cut probably helps, it barely fit over my suits (come to think of it, I haven't checked whether it still does given the muscle I've put on during the pandemic).
                        Last edited by Galcobar; November 10, 2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I went off the deep end last year after my divorce and bought lots of tailored clothes, shoes, outerwear...that was my version of a midlife crisis sports car. When I say "the deep end" I mean S&M, SuitSupply, Beckett Simonon and maybe a pair or two of Loakes on my "treat yo'self" trip to London. I don't mean like Huntsman, Gaziano and Girling, etc. I got a good six months of wear out of them. Then the pandemic hit, and I'm mostly in t-shirts and jeans, with the above referenced S&M gear with fully-canvased codpiece when I want to dress up. (These are the jokes.)

I'm actually looking forward to stepping out in public again so that I can wear my tailored clothes. A.) so I can get my money's worth, and B.) so I can feel like a dang human again. I like getting dressed up, I feel better and more confident when I'm dressed up and it just feels good to be put together. There's no saying I can't do it now at home, but it's the symbolism of doing it in public, when "in public" is a thing again.

Also, I got both the cashmere/wool three-button topcoat in charcoal and the peacoat in navy from S&M (the Canadian garment manufacturer, not the leisure-time activity) and I love them both. I wear the peacoat more often but, in my above screed, I'm actively looking for occasions to wear the topcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                            Eventually I guess I should get a proper charcoal dress overcoat. I don't know, the only thing I'd wear it over is a tux (which I never have black tie events so it's pretty irrelevant) or a suit in a dressed up work environment or wedding type situation. Those are thin on the ground these days too.
                            I don't consider a topcoat to be designated purely for "dressed up" occasions anymore. I have the Melton Topcoat in grey herringbone from BR (discontinued now) that I bought about 3 years back and it gets just as much wear time in the winter as my navy pea coat. Yes it's great to wear it over a suit or sport coat when the occasion arises, but I more often wear it with jeans/chinos and a sweater or button down shirt. I found the key to being able to wear a topcoat casually (like Galcobar mentioned above) is to find a slim fitting one. Just make sure it isn't so slim that it wont fit over a suit jacket.

All that is to say if you want one don't let the stigma of it being too "dressy" hold you back. I promise the first time you put it on over a sweater/dark rinse jeans/boots combo and look in the mirror you'll start wearing it all the time.

Comment

I would probably own several S&M suits, if they wanted to sell me any, which they don’t because they don’t sell suits larger than size 46. Who do they think are buying suits these days anyway? Middle age men in sedentary office jobs, that’s who. Sorry, it’s difficult to stay fashionably skinny as a middle age man in a sedentary office job. If they want to focus on a younger, hipper demographic, that’s all well and good. But it’s hard to be sympathetic that they’re losing suit sales when they are willfully excluding a large portion (if you’ll pardon the pun) of the suit-buying public.

Comment

Working...
                              X