Casual Shoes for your 30s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in my late 30's and my casual shoe rotation consists of:

Sneakers (Puma Super Liga OG Retro - white and navy)
    Some very low profile gray sneakers (this shoe, specifically)
    Sperry & AE Boat shoes (summer)
    J Crew Suede desert boots
    AE Higgins Mills boots (cooler months)

Comment

I would like to mention one other shoe that no one else has mentioned, the Norwegian Split Toe. Honestly, I don't have experience with this shoe, but I have ordered a pair because they looked so good with jeans and a navy blazer in this post on permanentstyle.com
      https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...ed-cloths.html

I have ordered a dark brown suede pair from Meermin, but there are also some options available for this style from Beckett Simonen, including two different colors of brown suede.
      Tentatively, I think that brown suede Norwegian split toes should be a really flexible shoe that will work with a variety of different outfits. If you want to read more about this type of shoe, Derek Guy talks about it in several posts for putthison.com and dieworkwear.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Iconic_Archaeologist View Post
        I would like to mention one other shoe that no one else has mentioned, the Norwegian Split Toe. Honestly, I don't have experience with this shoe, but I have ordered a pair because they looked so good with jeans and a navy blazer in this post on permanentstyle.com
        https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/...ed-cloths.html

I have ordered a dark brown suede pair from Meermin, but there are also some options available for this style from Beckett Simonen, including two different colors of brown suede.
        Tentatively, I think that brown suede Norwegian split toes should be a really flexible shoe that will work with a variety of different outfits. If you want to read more about this type of shoe, Derek Guy talks about it in several posts for putthison.com and dieworkwear.com.
        I'm torn on the NST. In some models it looks fantastic, while others look like something from Frankenstein's lab. I think I just go back to a simple cap toe or long wing over the NST for most styles.

Comment

Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

I'm torn on the NST. In some models it looks fantastic, while others look like something from Frankenstein's lab. I think I just go back to a simple cap toe or long wing over the NST for most styles.
          Agreed, it can be really hit or miss. The one in the permanent style link is EG which makes one of the best looking models, on the other hand something like the AE delray is hideous and the stitching looks way too angular. I think a PTB or even apron toe is a much safer bet especially at the lower price points.
          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I wouldn't worry about specific decisions age wise. I'm a 33 year old father of two. I have lots of GYW boots for the office and pretty much whatever sneakers I like for the weekends. I wear my NB 997's and my Jordan 1's a lot.

Comment

I'm down here in FL so my options are skewed to warm weather. Lots of Sperrys and loafers, woven loafers are a big hit whenever I wear them. Recently tried some Birkenstock clogs which I liked but couldn't get the sizing right.

Comment

38 and wear chukkas and 1000 mile boots a lot in the fall and winter, white sneakers (currently leather vans but will get some greats, or cobbler union soon), and suede loafers in the summer / spring. I also have a few pairs of seavees ill wear during the summmer in a cool weave pattern.

i have left the sneakers only for the gym or physical activity.

Comment

Chukkas. A nice sleek brown calf pair with a leather sole can be worn with literally anything but shorts. If you want to lean more casual, true desert boots (all desert boots are chukkas; not all chukkas are desert boots) - I highly recommend Astorflex. They are a true desert boot, supremely comfortable, and put Clark's quality to shame. Just brush them out and hit them with nanoprotectant once in a while and you're good to go.

Comment

I'm a couple of decades past my 30s (sigh :-) but for what it's worth...

A few years ago I did some rock climbing, and my dark gray Millet approach shoes now double as slightly out-of-the-ordinary rugged casual shoes:

https://www.deporvillage.net/millet-...ers-anthracite

I just picked up a pair of sneakers from Thursday Boot Company, and I like them a lot. They're beautiful brown leather in the now-standard minimalist style:

https://thursdayboots.com/products/m...-english-brown

Comment

I'm 42. Sperrys to do quick errands. I like loafers majority of my weekends, specially exotic skin.

Comment

for non work shoes, I either wear
                        red new balance 520's
                        adidas sambas
                        chippewa service boots

for work shoes,
                        either brown or black oxford cap toes
                        or a brown double monk strap

Comment

I’m 43 and have never once worn athletic shoes. Don’t own any. I do have some simple sneakers in navy and brown. I might get a black pair. I would never get caught dead in the white sneakers/jeans dad look.

For casual shoes I mostly stick to chukkas and boots in various styles and finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverstreak View Post
                            I’m 43 and have never once worn athletic shoes.
                            How did you pass PE class?
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
                            X