Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why didn't allen edmonds ever buckle down and try to make a classic desert shoe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why didn't allen edmonds ever buckle down and try to make a classic desert shoe?

i feel like i've seen them do a number of boots with the chukka profile, and other types of soles, but never the real suede upper on latex crepe sole.

i feel like they would have been able to push off the clarks offerings with the higher quality but maybe i don't know?

Because nobody is going to touch Astorflex for a true desert boot for the price? They're barely more than list on Clark's, for a much, much higher quality shoe (c'mon, is a desert boot really more than a tall shoe?)

In truth, i have no idea.

Comment

I've had similar thoughts about AE. There are so many styles AE should be able to replicate that would benefit from their quality, pricing, store infrastructure, and name recognition. Personally, I'd love to see AE offer a Carmina-style wholecut oxford - their last attempt was a disaster - or a minimalist white sneaker - their current white sneaker has tumbled leather. Instead, in their attempt to appeal to younger consumers they offer sneaker / dress shoe hybrids and tattooed boots. Ugh.

Comment

Because crepe soles? I don't generally don't like them. Maybe they have similar tastes?
        Last edited by mebejoseph; November 2, 2020, 12:38 PM.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

They have in the past. The Montauk fits the bill. However, I'm with mebejoseph crepe soles, seem like a nice idea, but in practice, they get dirty, the springiness is less beneficial day in day out, and the support is poor. If I want a similar bounce, but good support, I'd go with the Othello sole.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
            Astorflex for a true desert boot for the price?

oh my god i had never even heard of these! i looked them up and they look SO SO super awesome! i think i'm going to buy one set and see how they do...

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

oh my god i had never even heard of these! i looked them up and they look SO SO super awesome! i think i'm going to buy one set and see how they do...
              Indeed--they are a good looking shoe. Excellent price as well.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

They have. The first iteration of the Mojave was suede on crepe souls. I had these but had to return because the fit was funky. Man were they good looking though.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/allen-ed...ot-men/3618297

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                  They have. The first iteration of the Mojave was suede on crepe souls. I had these but had to return because the fit was funky. Man were they good looking though.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/allen-ed...ot-men/3618297
                  Mojave! I was trying to find this boot and couldn't for the life of me remember the name. It really was a seriously good looking boot. Fit was an issue for me too, but that was long before I'd ever been measured. P

Comment

Wait - do you not read dappered.com?

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post

Wait - do you not read dappered.com?
                      the front page is just like DAPPERED RECOMMENDS YOU DESERT CHUKKA BOOTS every week, and i am at the point where I just can't even take any more of those.

Comment

Astorflex is pretty legit. Joe reviewed the desert boots years ago and I looked at the chelsea version last year. All in all, I do recommend Astorflex.

Comment

Working...
                        X