Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dappered Shoe Reviews

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dappered Shoe Reviews

    I want to start by saying really enjoy the shoe reviews on the main page. Its really one of the only Dappered article series I read in its entirety anymore. However, I feel like there's too much emphasis on ordering, shipping, returns, presentation and extra stuff. None of those have any bearing on the shoe themselves.

    For example, the ordering/shipping/returns segment in the Greats review was actually a review of Huckberry. I found it odd that the shoes weren't ordered directly from Greats especially since they started as a direct to consumer brand. In another review the shoes were purchased through Nordstroms. Most people are familiar with Nordstroms' reputation for returns but does that really add to the value of the shoes? As for shipping, shipping times can vary depending on your location from the retailer and the shipping partner. Again, a shoe isn't any better or worse if it takes a few extra days to arrive. I can understand making a special note for companies like Meermin and Spier & Mackay. Meermin has expensive shipping because they ship from overseas and returns are difficult. Spier's returns can be tricky too. A segment highlighting extra-ordinary caveats like that is worth mentioning but I don't think it should have as much emphasis when coming from standard retailers.

    Finally, the presentation and extra stuff is nice but, honestly, I don't care. Are the shoes good? Yes, then why do I care if they came with an extra pair of laces or shoe bags or in a dinged up box. Those can easily be purchased separately if needed. Are Grant Stone shoes any worse if they didn't come with spare laces? Would you give a crappy pair of shoes a slightly better review because they came with a nice set of shoe bags? Again those are nice things to mention but shouldn't impact the review.

    All this to say, I still really enjoy these reviews and would like to see more. The reviewer is doing a great job regardless of my nitpicks. My next pair of shoes or boots will probably be from Grant Stone because of the Dappered review. I knew of them before but had no idea they made wide sizes. Speaking of which...adding a segment highlighting companies that offer wide sizes or even a series of reviews from someone with a wide foot would be nice.


    #2
    I'm with you. But my shoe tastes have now exceeded the price range of the Dappered audience, so I don't think they are going to review shoes I'm interested in. Also, I probably won't be buying anymore shoes in the near future. Maybe not.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Geo View Post
      I want to start by saying really enjoy the shoe reviews on the main page. Its really one of the only Dappered article series I read in its entirety anymore. However, I feel like there's too much emphasis on ordering, shipping, returns, presentation and extra stuff. None of those have any bearing on the shoe themselves.

      For example, the ordering/shipping/returns segment in the Greats review was actually a review of Huckberry. I found it odd that the shoes weren't ordered directly from Greats especially since they started as a direct to consumer brand. In another review the shoes were purchased through Nordstroms. Most people are familiar with Nordstroms' reputation for returns but does that really add to the value of the shoes? As for shipping, shipping times can vary depending on your location from the retailer and the shipping partner. Again, a shoe isn't any better or worse if it takes a few extra days to arrive. I can understand making a special note for companies like Meermin and Spier & Mackay. Meermin has expensive shipping because they ship from overseas and returns are difficult. Spier's returns can be tricky too. A segment highlighting extra-ordinary caveats like that is worth mentioning but I don't think it should have as much emphasis when coming from standard retailers.

      Finally, the presentation and extra stuff is nice but, honestly, I don't care. Are the shoes good? Yes, then why do I care if they came with an extra pair of laces or shoe bags or in a dinged up box. Those can easily be purchased separately if needed. Are Grant Stone shoes any worse if they didn't come with spare laces? Would you give a crappy pair of shoes a slightly better review because they came with a nice set of shoe bags? Again those are nice things to mention but shouldn't impact the review.

      All this to say, I still really enjoy these reviews and would like to see more. The reviewer is doing a great job regardless of my nitpicks. My next pair of shoes or boots will probably be from Grant Stone because of the Dappered review. I knew of them before but had no idea they made wide sizes. Speaking of which...adding a segment highlighting companies that offer wide sizes or even a series of reviews from someone with a wide foot would be nice.
      I see your point, but for me, I'm not just evaluating the shoes themselves. I'm also evaluating the company, their business model, policies, etc., any of which can help set them apart from the competition.

      There are an infinite number of shoe companies trying to earn your money. Lots of them make fine shoes. Some of them are considered "Dappered budget friendly" in the $100-$300 realm. I prefer to have some way to quantify their differences and rank them accordingly.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by mcadamsandwich View Post

        I see your point, but for me, I'm not just evaluating the shoes themselves. I'm also evaluating the company, their business model, policies, etc., any of which can help set them apart from the competition.

        There are an infinite number of shoe companies trying to earn your money. Lots of them make fine shoes. Some of them are considered "Dappered budget friendly" in the $100-$300 realm. I prefer to have some way to quantify their differences and rank them accordingly.
        I understand what you mean but half the score has nothing to do with the shoes you're reviewing or the company producing them. Nordstroms ordering, shipping and returns isn't a reflection on Nike. Its a reflection on Nordstroms. Extra stuff is cool but does it really do that much to set a company apart if they put out a good product? I think these things should be addressed. They do help in making a purchasing decision but they just don't need so much emphasis. I'd rather read more about construction, materials, fit, finish, and maybe a comparison to a similar style from another manufacturer. Again, I do appreciate your reviews. I honestly think you're doing a great job and understand that it's impossible to please everyone. I don't mean any disrespect. These were just things that stuck with me and feel would improve the review.

        Comment


          #5
          FWIW, ease of returns is absolutely relevant to my decision to buy a pair of shoes (or anything else) - I'm way more likely to buy something from a new brand when I know it'll be easy to return if necessary.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Tacitus View Post
            FWIW, ease of returns is absolutely relevant to my decision to buy a pair of shoes (or anything else) - I'm way more likely to buy something from a new brand when I know it'll be easy to return if necessary.
            Agree with this. Geo I also get what you’re saying about it being weird that parts of the reviews aren’t necessarily reviewing the brand itself but a third party vendor instead. It would make more sense to order directly from that brand if you’re going to review things like shipping costs, returns, presentation, and etc.

            that being said I think all those are critical parts of the buying process for all of us and it’s important to have it in the review.

            Comment


              #7
              I want to know about the ordering process. If I am going to be buying a pair of shoes sight unseen, the ability for the company to a) ship the shoes on time b) accept returns if I have ordered the wrong size and c) ship the shoes in a box that survives that trip across the border, all play in to whether or not I'm going to complete the purchase.

              The ability for the company to complete the sale end-to-end is definitely important to me and I'm glad to read about it. The shoes could be the best quality around, but if it takes the company 8mos to get the shoes to me, and they arrive in a ratty old box, I'm going to rethink my purchase.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Geo View Post
                I want to start by saying really enjoy the shoe reviews on the main page. Its really one of the only Dappered article series I read in its entirety anymore. However, I feel like there's too much emphasis on ordering, shipping, returns, presentation and extra stuff. None of those have any bearing on the shoe themselves.
                i totally do not agree my man!

                knowing how many hoops i have to jump through to order a pair, super super helpful for me! Maybe it's just because i am 10.5EEE size and used to shoes not fitting me well, and often have returns, but i can not stand a company i can't easily deal with. Having to go on some indiana jones like quest to return the shoes to the company is just not something i have time for these days. I do not have emotional energy to spend on that. I have an incoming long cold winter to concentrate and stress out over.

                that is one of the reasons I have stuck with allen edmonds at least, i know their process, and more importantly i know what of theirs fits me well and what doesn't by now.

                I think the amount of detail about the process included in the reviews was one of the reasons I actually set down here and kept posting even! With out the very reasonable expection that the time you actually spend dealing with these companies is the only time for them to shine beyond the actual item of purchase, and i was happy to see someone at dappered consider my feelings and time the way i do. I really don't care about how great some unobtaneoum brand of shoes are if i can't get them with out too much heart ache. fuck that shit :-D

                Comment


                  #9
                  I agree that ordering and returns are important. I'm not arguing that it should be omitted. I've already stated, twice, that it's helpful info and should be included in the review. I guess I'm saying that the criteria for shipping, returns and packing are applied inconsistently and given a lot of weight in the overall assessment when in some instances it's completely out of the control of the company/shoe being reviewed. If the review is going to weigh those factors so heavily, I'd actually like to see more info than is currently given. Instead of just giving 4/5 to Spier & Mackay shipping and returns, I'd like to know what the return process is like and approximately how much an international return would be. I'd also like to know if a shoe is available from multiple retailers. The Greats review was ordered through Huckberry but they can also be purchased through Greats, Nordstroms, Nordstrom Rack and Jcrew. Some of those have better shipping and return policies than others. In those cases I think an unbiased assessment of the shoe itself would be beneficial followed by a discussion of the shipping & returns at the various retailers.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Geo View Post
                    I agree that ordering and returns are important. I'm not arguing that it should be omitted. I've already stated, twice, that it's helpful info and should be included in the review. I guess I'm saying that the criteria for shipping, returns and packing are applied inconsistently and given a lot of weight in the overall assessment when in some instances it's completely out of the control of the company/shoe being reviewed. If the review is going to weigh those factors so heavily, I'd actually like to see more info than is currently given. Instead of just giving 4/5 to Spier & Mackay shipping and returns, I'd like to know what the return process is like and approximately how much an international return would be. I'd also like to know if a shoe is available from multiple retailers. The Greats review was ordered through Huckberry but they can also be purchased through Greats, Nordstroms, Nordstrom Rack and Jcrew. Some of those have better shipping and return policies than others. In those cases I think an unbiased assessment of the shoe itself would be beneficial followed by a discussion of the shipping & returns at the various retailers.
                    The criteria for shipping, returns, etc. is wholly consistent. I use the same exact metric for all brands and retailers. I also always list the return policy, any fees, and any issues that we come across during the review process. Occasionally I'll also throw in alternatives when I'm not fully satisfied with the item at hand.

                    I can't always control where the items come from, as that's something that Joe chooses most of the time. I'm sure he has his methods; all I can say is I've never had any bad experiences through the retailers he chooses.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X