10 Ways to Break Out of the All Athleisure Pandemic Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 Ways to Break Out of the All Athleisure Pandemic Rut

Joe, I love your stuff but your "pandemic rut" posts are increasingly insulting to the intelligence of your readers. Judging from the forums many of us are in white collar professions and we can assure you: EVERYONE IS DRESSING IN LOUNGEWEAR!!! The most dressed up many of us are getting are the "Pandemic Polo" or "Pandemic oxford." Someone joining a Zoom call in a blazer will get laughed out the call. Trust me, you don't want your colleagues to think of you as "That Guy." Dressing well is about dressing appropriately for the occasion, yet you are insisting that people cosplay as the Wolf of Wall Street while everyone else is adjusting to this new normal. Furthermore, working from home has many people balancing multiple tasks throughout the day: work, childcare, pet care, appointments, errands, etc... so we have to dress for those versatile environments. Finally, your insistence on wearing regular shoes inside the home is ignorant of cultures where doing so is inappropriate. You acknowledge the cultural difference but then dismiss it altogether.

Put aside the #grindlife #hustler influencer act and trust your audience's feedback that we're living in a different world. Rather than insist that everyone still dress in office wear, instead you should offer readers options on how to elevate their casual work from home uniform:
    1. Pandemic Polo
    2. upgraded sweatpants (I recently upgraded to cashmere)
    3. Chunky shawl collar cardigan
    4. Shearling slippers

Trust me, I'd like to return to my smart wardrobe as much as the next guy, and I have eagerly welcomed such opportunities when offered. But in the meantime, we all need to adjust to the evolving social norms.
    Last edited by garryowen47; October 26, 2020, 03:09 PM.

This is getting depressing. But my lovely wife still dresses to kill everyday, although I have all but given up. I kept it up for months, but lately, most days I don't change out of the lounge wear I slept in, until we go out for a walk in the early evening. And that's just workout clothes.

It doesn't help that I've put on 12-15 pounds that I can't seem to shake.

We did do some shopping together Saturday and I did get dressed and wore some lovely Carlos Santos boots with jeans and a oxford button down.

But shit--my fat jeans are now my skinny jeans. And I don't even want to look at my skinny jeans, let alone try them on.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Joe has never sounded more human...

Comment

Also depends on position, blazer with sweatpants https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status...574574081?s=20

Comment

I don’t understand why everyone has resorted to sweatpants and loungewear. I wear chinos/khakis every day with a polo or a button down shirt And a belt almost every day. I don’t find loungewear that much more comfortable and feel that changing clothes transitions me to a work mindset.

To be fair, I also don’t understand the added stretch in dress clothes that won’t seem to go away. I wear jeans, khakis and shirts with no stretch and don’t find them uncomfortable at all. I have 3 young boys and am pretty active, but I only find the need to switch to workout gear when I am actually working out. Maybe I am lucky that my body is such that clothes don’t restrict me even when I wear slim fit? Maybe I am not sensitive to my clothes? (wearing a suit and tie has never bothered me) Maybe I just got used to my clothes and how they fit? I don’t know.

I wish I could wear my shoes in my house, but my wife would kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
            This is getting depressing. But my lovely wife still dresses to kill everyday, although I have all but given up. I kept it up for months, but lately, most days I don't change out of the lounge wear I slept in, until we go out for a walk in the early evening. And that's just workout clothes.

It doesn't help that I've put on 12-15 pounds that I can't seem to shake.

We did do some shopping together Saturday and I did get dressed and wore some lovely Carlos Santos boots with jeans and a oxford button down.

But shit--my fat jeans are now my skinny jeans. And I don't even want to look at my skinny jeans, let alone try them on.
            Same. I had to buy new jeans for the first time in awhile because I've tacked on about 10 pounds.

I normally wear a polo and chinos to work anyways, so a polo and shorts really isn't that hard for a WFH wardrobe. I'm also in the camp now where a suit and tie would not look appropriate at my office; even a sport shirt is pushing it these days.

Comment

not saying joe doesn't believe what he is saying...but think about it: joe NEEDS to push people wearing "nice" clothes in order for dappered to continue existing. if people aren't buying dress shoes, dress shirts, blazers etc then no one is clicking on his links and dappered isn't making any money. not saying he's doing anything wrong as i totally understand what he's doing...but pushing that narrative makes more sense when it's that beneficial to the person doing it.

forget putting on athleisure...most days i don't put on much more than my underwear...but at least they are ex-officios

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                not saying joe doesn't believe what he is saying...but think about it:
                This thought occurred to me too, but I think it's a testament to the Dappered brand that I have never doubted the genuineness or authenticity of the guy, despite having little more to go off of than several years' worth of neck-down fit pics. I really buy that he believes keeping a full-on dappered wardrobe, pandemic be damned, is a recipe for success because it makes you feel better about yourself and the way you look. Couple caveats:

I agree with others that dressing well means dressing appropriately for the situation. I'm a psychologist and have some questions about the "enclothed cognition" paper Joe links to -- I think there are some methodological considerations that come into play, and that even if there is a nominally significant effect, it may not be a *meaningful* one that confers a real benefit for people's mental health, productivity, etc. Some of the conventional thinking (and science) about clothing, perception, etc., goes out the window given our current situation. People are struggling big-time right now. If putting on a blazer is the best way for you to keep doing the things you need to do, awesome. If not, and sweatpants get you through the day, that's great too. "Meeting people where they're at," if I have my therapist hat on.

From a cultural/sociological/anthropological standpoint, I think there's got to be a pretty solid precedent of world events and evolving cultural norms impacting attire. As the pandemic wears on (and on and on, for the foreseeable future), I think we'll get a better sense of any lasting impact on the Dappered aesthetic.

Would I ever wear a suit to walk the dog or sit and work at my kitchen table? Not a chance. I would love to see some more content on at-home-appropriate clothing, whether it be jeans, chinos, sweats, workwear, etc. But the impression I get is that Joe is gonna do his thing regardless of what people say -- I'm recalling some previous threads (e.g., around his tattoos). Good for him -- we need more people like that!

Comment

I can agree a lot with the sentiment behind this thread. I don't think it was intentional down talking but the article came off as not understanding where we are in the world or how the world is adapting. I love my Dappered wardrobe. I wore suits and ties almost every day.

But during the pandemic I've only worn a suit for virtual interviews. I host 2-3 virtual meetings per day. I have not seen one person (any) wearing a jacket, tie, or any other type of dappered level apparel. At best you are getting a collared shirt. At worst they are just not turning on their video.

The other items I think missed the mark:
                  - Wear your suit just because. I can only assume the writer doesn't have kids. My button down shirts and polos can barely survive breakfast and getting them ready let alone a suit or nicer clothing. If I showed up on a suit for a call I'd immediately distance myself from the people I am trying to do business with.
                  - Shoes inside? Why? Why wear shoes inside? I don't get any intrinsic benefit from wearing or designating certain dress shoes for inside use. Maybe I am just not a shoe lover but most of the day it's no socks, socks, or slippers. Shoes are for outside.

Items I liked:
                  - Work out in the AM. That's just a good model for a lot of people and I personally have tried to keep that up during COVID.

Comment

Originally posted by elpenguinoloco View Post

Would I ever wear a suit to walk the dog or sit and work at my kitchen table? Not a chance. I would love to see some more content on at-home-appropriate clothing, whether it be jeans, chinos, sweats, workwear, etc. But the impression I get is that Joe is gonna do his thing regardless of what people say -- I'm recalling some previous threads (e.g., around his tattoos). Good for him -- we need more people like that!
                    Completely agree. I don't care what anyone says, I'm not wearing a blazer or any other item that would need to be dry cleaned if I'm not leaving my house.

They did a few work from home scenarios early in the pandemic, but I haven't seen anything similar since. I think he's tried to update the Style Scenario series but from what I can tell it's the exact same outfit and he's just added "At Home" to the title (Early Autumn Casual at Home Date Night, Early Autumn At Home Dressed Up Date Night, and etc...).

Although the site's main purpose is to inform us about clothes, I'd like to see it transition a bit for now considering clothing isn't as relevant with everyone staying indoors. Maybe they could do a few articles on gift ideas for the holidays or something like that. Personally I know I'm more interested at the moment on where I can get a great new TV or home theatre system on sale during Black Friday than I am about BR or J Crews latest sales.

Comment

I tend to be one that agrees with Joe on this with caveats. No I don’t wear shoes in the house, except when breaking in boots, as I hate tracking stuff in. I am weird enough that I don’t even like wearing socks in the house.

In the first couple week of this pandemic, I did wear only exercise shorts and white t/shirts; my equivalent of sleepwear. I now wear my work wear which is very casual outdoor gear, hiking pants, Henleys, dry-fit polos, occasional oxfords as I work in a division of the DOI. This change come from advice I picked up from Cal Newport and his work on productivity. The changed from “work clothes” to start my day is a single switch that helps my brain understand that I am working now take this seriously even though my location hasn’t changed. I am acting like this work at home era isn’t changing any time soon I can’t wast a year or two not increasing my skill worth.

The other thing I apply to the dappered site and all my advice reading is also something I learned from Cal Newport, on his podcast. Advice writers, a group I place Joe and the dappered team into, write to a big audience they assume their readers are smart and will adjust the advice given to fit their needs. A example would be I don’t even pay attention to the suite sales and blazers any more as I have all I need. I do pay lots of attention to the sneaker advice as I hate hate buy and researching sneakers. I won’t be wearing a suit or blazer in the house as I don’t feel as my clothes are leading to a bad mental state and a blazer doesn’t fit my work wardrobe. I did walk into my closet and see if I could get ride of some stuff. It all depends on how much each person thinks they are in a rut on what advice you follow. Cheers

Comment

I wonder how many of us wore more shorts, athleisure (I really dislike that term), etc. also because of the weather. I was wearing gym shorts and t-shirts almost every day in June - August more so because it was hot and humid in DC area. I don't run the AC nearly to what my office used to (they would freeze us out). Now that fall is upon us I am reaching more for a button down etc. each day given the weather is cooler and I don't want to run the heat. I still cannot see wearing a blazer on a call given the image it presents is not one of put together but better than the others on the call and disingenuous to what is going on.

I think the COVID opportunity can be used more to further our home wear. I won't be dressing in my nice stuff but other clothing choices that wouldn't be work appropriate may be now for me. Thicker sweaters, nice long sleeve t-shirts, etc.

Comment

This discussion prompted me to get dressed in chinos, a polo, sock, and my indoor dress shoes. Also prompted to me to start entering my food and exercise into the Lose It app.

I'm posting my total food log and exercise in the "other" thread section if anyone wants to join me. Logging my food seems to be the only way I can lose weight.
                          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post
                            Joe, I love your stuff but your "pandemic rut" posts are increasingly insulting to the intelligence of your readers. Judging from the forums many of us are in white collar professions and we can assure you: EVERYONE IS DRESSING IN LOUNGEWEAR!!! The most dressed up many of us are getting are the "Pandemic Polo" or "Pandemic oxford." Someone joining a Zoom call in a blazer will get laughed out the call. Trust me, you don't want your colleagues to think of you as "That Guy." .
                            I think expecting every blog post to be written from a particular perspective is...well maybe people need to lighten up a little. Joe was making some suggestions - they didn't come off as orders or ultimatums. I suggest folks view them as suggestions and take what you want and leave the rest alone. No need to complain about it or say he's being insulting, because I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent. While I haven't worn a suit to a work meeting myself, and everyone's workplace has a different culture, I think my colleagues would be more inclined to praise me for upping my game than ridicule me if I did decide to wear a suit for a zoom meeting. And I could see myself wearing a suit for a romantic evening at home, since it not really advisable go out for a romantic evening right now.

Also, some people do work in professions that require them to be presentable even in virtual meeting space. For example, my wife works in a pediatric primary care clinic. She sees patients in person two days a week and does telemedicine visits for three days a week. Even for the virtual telemedicine visits she has to look presentable, and so do her male colleagues. I imagine there are other professionals - doctors, lawyers, maybe some folks in PR - that also have to dress much better than athleisure when meeting virtually. Writing a blog post or two for them is more than fine IMO. I definitely am dressing more casual in quarantine, but since things cooled off from the mid-summer heat I have been putting on real pants - no drawstring or elastic waists - actual pants with belt loops and a fly - every day. Usually it's just jeans, sometimes chinos. Also since it got cool enough to wear long sleeves I've put on a button up shirt or sweater every day. Not just a hoodie or t shirt or track jacket. I even once or twice threw on a casual tweed sport coat to walk the dog. Usually I wear a more casual jacket like a trucker or chore jacket but once or twice I felt like kicking it up a notch. I'm not going to judge anyone for staying super casual but I'm not going to complain about suggestions to make a little more effort either.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

What was insulting about the article?! He was offering up some ideas to break out of a rut. If you don't feel stuck in that rut, you can pass on his ideas. For the rest, he had some good suggestions (though I'll echo everyone else who agrees that shoes in the house are a no-no) that I'm sure many will take.

Incidentally...I'm on videoconference frequently, as are my coworkers and the rest of my team. I/we expect your video to be on - that's how we engage as humans - which means I also expect that you'll show me the same respect you would in the office and put on a collared shirt. If you wouldn't show up for a meeting in the office with a ball cap and t-shirt, why is it ok to be seen in them over video?

Comment

Working...
                              X