LL Bean Bean (Duck) Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LL Bean Bean (Duck) Boots

I have determined that I want a pair of boots for when it is an absolute mess outside. I have been eyeing the LL Bean Boots and was wondering if there was something else i should consider that is high quality. I love that they are re-soleable and are quite classic. Anything else I should consider?

Also, I dont know what the liklihood of sales are with LL Bean products. They are doing 10% and free shipping right now and wondering if they have better ones that I should hold out for or if I should jump on them now.

Thoughts?

I got my pair two years ago. I want to say it was 20% plus I got a navy color way for the uppers on clearance. I've been very happy with them.

Comment

I've had some LL Bean Duck Boots for probably 5ish years now. They're fantastic quality and hold up quite well. There's definitely something to be said for the original. My only complaint with them is the sole isn't incredibly grippy in wet weather. As far as alternatives, I did just pick up a pair of Huckberry's new Duck Boots, and the fit and finish on them seems excellent, but I haven't had a chance to test drive them in the elements yet.

Comment

I just came here for the mandatory "DUCK BOOTS....AWOOHOO!!"
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I'll go along with the others and recommend LL Bean's boots as well. There's a reason they have been making them for 100 years with little to no changes. I've had mine for about 8 years now. I typically only wear them in the winter and spring when it's snowing or raining, but they have held up extremely well. LL Bean makes a waterproof, waxy type substance that I'll probably buy soon just to reinforce the seam areas and ensure they stay waterproof for another 8+ years. I bought the dark brown leather 10 inch ones for reference.

The only downside to them, if there is one, is that they don't regulate temperature well at all. Although I wouldn't imagine many if any waterproof boots do. The first few times I wore them in the rain/snow I thought they were leaking because my socks were slightly wet when I took them off, but I soon realized that was just sweat from where my feet were getting hot.

From what I've seen, LL Bean's boots are usually excluded from sales and promos but you might be able to get them 10-20% off if you're willing to wait until summer when no one else is buying them.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and placed the order for a pair for me and a pair for my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
              I have determined that I want a pair of boots for when it is an absolute mess outside. I have been eyeing the LL Bean Boots and was wondering if there was something else i should consider that is high quality. I love that they are re-soleable and are quite classic. Anything else I should consider?

Also, I don't know what the likelihood of sales are with LL Bean products. They are doing 10% and free shipping right now and wondering if they have better ones that I should hold out for or if I should jump on them now.

Thoughts?
              I am a big fan of duck boots,with some caveats.

just keep in mind what they are: kind of kicked up version of a rubber utility boot. They are not dressy and sharp, they are not good for long walks, they are not good as boots for other things besides "it is super wet and gross outside".

the soft rubber on the soles will wear out quick if you're on dry pavement a lot.

if you have to wear them around the office all day? they're kind of crappy shoes for that, since they don't have any circulation. you 100% want a second set to change into at work.

I used to use mine for actually commuting on the bus to go to work, they're amazing for standing in a big slushy snow bank. Also kind of amazing at being in a big mud puddle. They're kind of bad at everything else. The bean boots aren't very warm too, so you have to wear big socks to make it work when it's down below 10 deg. F, i guess this is why they also offer a sherling lined version. I got a different job that i drive to now, and I really don't even use them for anything but shoveling. When it's snowy or icy these days I use some Strandmoks I got or some lug sole wingtips

I live in New England, where these came from, so just consider all of that.
              Last edited by evanparker; October 13, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

If you want duck boots look no further than LL Bean. Other companies make them but they don't hold a candle to the Bean Boots. I bought a pair of Sorel duck boots out of necessity during the winter of 2015 (if you're from New England you'll know why). Bean boots were back ordered until summer months so I bought the only pair readily available. The Sorel boots were okay but only lasted a few years before they started to leak. Meanwhile, my wife's 15 year old bean boots are still going strong and they look far better too. I bought Bean boots last year and wish I did it much sooner. The difference in quality is immense. LL Bean uses far nicer materials and feel much sturdier. The only downside is that they take longer to break in. The price between Bean boots and the other companies really isn't much different either so I would have no problem paying the difference for the higher quality. LL Bean does run 20% off sales but as you approach winter you run the risk of you're size being back ordered.

One other thing to to note about Bean boots. They make lined and unlined versions. Mine are lined with Thinsulate and are not warm at all. You definitely need thick wool socks in the winter but you can also wear them comfortably during spring spring showers. If you want warmth, they have goretex lined versions which should do the trick. Also, breaking them in was a bear. The Sorels were pretty comfortable out the box but the Bean boots took some work. They're fine now but the first half dozen wears were rough on the shins.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

I am a big fan of duck boots,with some caveats.

just keep in mind what they are: kind of kicked up version of a rubber utility boot. They are not dressy and sharp, they are not good for long walks, they are not good as boots for other things besides "it is super wet and gross outside".

the soft rubber on the soles will wear out quick if you're on dry pavement a lot.

if you have to wear them around the office all day? they're kind of crappy shoes for that, since they don't have any circulation. you 100% want a second set to change into at work.

I used to use mine for actually commuting on the bus to go to work, they're amazing for standing in a big slushy snow bank. Also kind of amazing at being in a big mud puddle. They're kind of bad at everything else. The bean boots aren't very warm too, so you have to wear big socks to make it work when it's down below 10 deg. F, i guess this is why they also offer a sherling lined version. I got a different job that i drive to now, and I really don't even use them for anything but shoveling. When it's snowy or icy these days I use some Strandmoks I got or some lug sole wingtips

I live in New England, where these came from, so just consider all of that.
                  All of this. They're great for what they're purpose-built for but they weren't built for all day wear, or really for walking miles in. They don't breathe at all and that means feet get sweaty if you wear them too long, especially if you're doing a lot of walking. They're what I would grab if I had to stand in several inches of wet mud or a puddle - say if I were mending a fence in the rain at a spot where water pools. I wear mine infrequently because situations like that are pretty rare in my suburban neighborhood. Most of the time in the rain I grab a pair of waterproof breathable hikers because they are much more comfortable for walking from point A to B in and keep my feet acceptably dry.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I have a pair of the Bean duck boots and they are my go-to for winter boots in my part of the world. I think they are great. The only thing is I ordered the boots without the lining. When the temperatures drop around here, the non-lined boots have zero insulation. My feet tend to get a little cold/chilly. And while I could wear thicker socks in the boots, that would mean tacking thin socks with me to work. Not a huge fan of that plan. Anyway. Long story short. Great boots. You'll be happy with your purchase.

Comment

Another vote for LL Bean duck boots. I got the insulated, gore-tex version. When it is sloppy outside, there is nothing better. I also wore these camping one weekend when the temps were in the teens at night and we were on ice. They kept my feet nice and warm with a couple of pairs of wool socks. I have used them for commuting into NYC and there is nothing better for walking through those deep slush puddles. Because the bottoms are rubber, they are not damaged by salt and other toxic substances found on the sidewalks of NYC.

Comment

I agree with a lot of what is already said here. I have an unlined pair of beans and an insulated pair of Sorels. I find the unlined pair is good unless I’m standing in the snow (like clearing the drive/walk ways at the house, hiking or playing with the kids). Sorels have been fine but don’t see nearly as much action.

one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is that LL Bean will replace the lower part of your boot when you wear it out (for a cost). It’s cheaper than new and you get to keep your leather uppers.

Comment

Working...
                        X