No announcement yet.

Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roka. Extremely light. The Geko grip pads I thought were a gimmick, even after doing some stuff in them, but I wore them on a treadmill for a run and the things didn't even move.

Comment

i am looking now, too. Literally just tried on the Warby box of 5 pairs and a few from Roka. I've only had one single pair of glasses in 7 years, which I love, but broke... also Rx changed. So shopping now. I also agree - strong preference for wireframes. The Warby Parkers seem fine and I prefer the styles. The Rokas seem really nice - crazy lightweight and feel good - but I can't see them working for me style wise.

My first pair is Joseph Abboud JA173 and love them. Lightweight and very minimal look - but somehow so durable. I may just try to get them again...

Comment

Originally posted by t.urman View Post
        i am looking now, too. Literally just tried on the Warby box of 5 pairs and a few from Roka. I've only had one single pair of glasses in 7 years, which I love, but broke... also Rx changed. So shopping now. I also agree - strong preference for wireframes. The Warby Parkers seem fine and I prefer the styles. The Rokas seem really nice - crazy lightweight and feel good - but I can't see them working for me style wise.

My first pair is Joseph Abboud JA173 and love them. Lightweight and very minimal look - but somehow so durable. I may just try to get them again...
        Not sure what you broke, but I snapped the stems off mine and a local repair place fixed them good as new. Then I just replace my lenses when the RX changes. If you like them so much, maybe try to fix them.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post

Not sure what you broke, but I snapped the stems off mine and a local repair place fixed them good as new. Then I just replace my lenses when the RX changes. If you like them so much, maybe try to fix them.
          Thanks - I did take them to a shop and they couldn't repair...

I'm still looking.

Comment

Update: I found my old glasses, but new, on eBay for like $20. Now, setting up for mail-in lens install. An overwhelming amount of options, but I know I love these frames so I'm pretty happy about it.

Comment

Originally posted by t.urman View Post
              Update: I found my old glasses, but new, on eBay for like $20. Now, setting up for mail-in lens install. An overwhelming amount of options, but I know I love these frames so I'm pretty happy about it.
              I did something similar with a pair of sunglasses. Lens cracked and the style was no longer sold (at least in my size), but I was able to get a hold of a pair of lens blanks from the company. Paid a pretty penny to get them cut and drilled to mount on my frames, but seven years later I'm happy (and the upgrade to polarized lenses was a nice bonus).

Comment

I have had success with David Kind, an online company. I may have some details wrong, but you choose six different frames from their online selection. They'll ask for a picture of you with your current frames, as well as your prescription. That, plus $50 (which can be applied to purchase) gets you a cool little kit for trying on the prospective frames. I bought my current frames, regular and sunglasses, with prescription progressive lenses. Those two pairs cost me what one would cost in a brick-and-mortar store. These aren't cut-rate frames. They run $300-400 or so, frames alone. They also offer clip-on sunglasses for your regular frames, if you want to go that route.

Comment

I've worn black acetate frames for about 26 years and in that time I have tried on a lot of different ones from different purveyors and manufacturers. The frames I've sworn by for the last decade plus are from Shuron. You can check them out at shuron.com. I wear the Sidewinder model, but the Freeways are also pretty cool. They are American made, they have a classically cool shape (if I do say so myself), and they are basically indestructible. I'm such a fan of these frames that I currently have them in three different colors and another pair of sunglasses. And after having two of those pairs for 4 and 5 years each, I recently had new lenses put in them, so they haven't gotten brittle and crappy like a lot of plastic frames can get.

You can call the factory direct and have them send you multiple sizes and colors to try on at home. They will also put lenses in for you - just call them with your prescription in hand (and don't let your eye doctor get away with not putting the pupillary distance on the Rx!).

Comment

As described above, Luxottica is a giant integrated company that bought up a ton of name brands and offers them in their LensCrafters stores. Brands they own include Ray Ban, Oakley, Persol, and many many others . If you walk into a LensCrafters all the brands you see are owned by them. My most durable and long-lasting glasses are progressive prescription sunglasses I got from LensCrafters in original Ray Ban Wayfarer frames. Absolutely bombproof. I have two pair of Persol sunglasses from LensCrafters and they both suck. I'm on my third pair of Warby Parkers for regular glasses (not sun) and I like them for what they are - decent frames at a good price. Most recent is a pair of metal aviators and previous ones were clear plastic.

Agree that Sharon is a super cool heritage brand.
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by DapperedRyan View Post
                      As a lifelong glasses wearer, if it's in your budget, I can't recommend LASIK enough after 4+ years.
                      My eye sight / prescription changes every year. So my eyesight isn't that stable. So LASIK isn't my option, only glasses((

Comment

Working...
                      X