Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glasses

Can anyone recommend a decent online store for prescription glasses? I was recently diagnosed with astigmatism and got a pair through insurance that I’m not crazy about. They’re wire frames by Arnette and were free, but my choices were pretty limited. I’d prefer acetate frames but would like to know what options there are. I got my glasses through Pearl Vision but I’m aware of Lens Crafters, Warby Parker and Zenni. Are there any other companies out there that can do prescriptions online that are worth checking out?

Warby Parker does prescription lenses.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

i have been ordering online glasses for maybe 8 or years. mostly from eyeglassesdirect.com. they have name brand frames and occasionally good prices. They have always got my shit right as well. They are also one of a very very few places online that will do a set of new lenses on used frames from somewhere else. I ride motorcycle and between the sunglasses and other changing the glasses all the time kind of stuff, i really need two or three pairs of glasses all the time so, it's very nice to be able to not spend big money on my relatively disposible glasses. Mostly they operate like a traditional lab. You input your script and they send the glasses.

zenni is by far the best cut-rate operation. You can't really try them on but for like $30 sets of glasses who even cares. It took me a few tries but i've finally found a few sets from there that not only look great but fit my big fat XXXL helmet size head too. If you are in a crunch for money, or think you can in any way fit into the zenni product catalouge of their house brand glasses sets, it's an absolute incredible value. They are almost a completely automated operation, i don't think anyone even touches your glasses the entire time. Their frames are about 98% as good as the name brand frames you see in lens crafters probably. and bonus, if you shop at zenni you're not supporting what it basically like a cartel of eye glasses industry bullshit and long time price fixing.

I have a number of pairs from both, and they are both good. I love all of the products i've gotten from both in some ways, even when the zenni ones don't really fit into my life like i wanted it's a learning experience and i can still use the glasses for a couple years.

Comment

I tried Warby Parker once and wouldn’t recommend it. From my experience you are getting a very cheap pair of glasses which I guess is to be expected considering the cost.

Ever since I’ve been using LensCrafters. I’ve found their frames to be of a much higher quality. Probably because they are mostly name or designer brands.

I’m not sure of your insurance situation but my company has very basic vision insurance and they cover up to $200 per year for eyeglasses which can really help with the cost if you go with a name brand.

Comment

Whether you buy from them or not, Warby Parker has a great app that lets you virtually "try on" different frames in real time on your mobile device. A good way to find out what you might like or dislike.
          Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Warby Parker might be fun to try... all those glasses. but you get what you pay for. cheap [email protected] I had nice success with Costco Got my Prada frames in there. Love them and solid quality. rather have 1-2 pair of solid glasses than 10 cheap ones

Comment

Nothing against Warby Parker but they don’t have any frames I like anyway. I’m looking at the Ray Ban 5169 frames as they suit my face better. Just wish progressive lenses weren’t so freakin expensive

Comment

Most name-brand glasses are made by the same company that also owns Lens Crafters, Luxottica. They are decent but come with a huge mark-up, they figure insurance will pay for most of it.

If you are looking to just try some things out I have used 39dollarglasses.com, guess how much they are usually. I have tried a few glasses and they work just like the more expensive ones. I get most of my sunglasses from there that way I don't have to worry about losing them and they are good enough. The quality obviously isn't going to be out of this world but it's a good way to try some stuff out, have some variety, and learn what styles you like.

Warby Parker glasses are fine, just fine. I am wearing a pair now. The nice thing about them is they don't have a bunch of bejeweled accents on them like a lot of name brand glasses.

Personally, I like having a variety of glasses. I have tried contacts, but have had trouble finding ones that work well for me and I have astigmatism as well.

Comment

I use Warby Parker (reading and prescription sunglasses) and they have worked just fine for me. When I bought my first pair of prescription eyewear in Toronto the store sold a pair of Marc Jacobs to me, which I felt was in no way better than the Warby Parkers I own now. I have never used any other major brands and hence cant compare.

Comment

Why are you looking for an online store specifically? Glasses are really something you need to try on in person.

My recommendation is Oliver Peoples. I've had my pair for over a decade. The quality is remarkable.

Edit: I see now you have frames in mind. Lenscrafters is pretty good. Maybe you can score some cheaper, but who knows if those cheapo websites are offering legitimate products.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                      Why are you looking for an online store specifically? Glasses are really something you need to try on in person.

My recommendation is Oliver Peoples. I've had my pair for over a decade. The quality is remarkable.

Edit: I see now you have frames in mind. Lenscrafters is pretty good. Maybe you can score some cheaper, but who knows if those cheapo websites are offering legitimate products.
                      Yeah, i'm looking for frames specifically and an online store than can do prescriptions. I'd also prefer not going into a store due to Covid. My main consideration is cost but I don't know that I want some no name brand frames either. Zenni Optical seems like the least expensive route, but again, the men's frames don't excite me.

Comment

The brand name and designer frames are, as has been noted before, largely made by the exact same company as makes the store-brand frames, since Luxottica owns or franchises most of the chain eyewear stores and supplies the rest as well as almost all optometrist offices. Designer frames are just Luxottica frames with a label it's paid the desiger to license like those white label "Calvin Klein" clothes in JC Penney. It's a near monopoly in both frames and lenses, where quality has little relation to price. Think diamonds and deBeers.

The online options are pretty much the only way to compete with Luxottica unless you've got both massive buying power and no need to profit on the actual sales as Costco does (Costco's entire profit is from membership fees, which actually subsidize the sales side).

That said, most of the online options have tools to get a good fit (make sure your prescription includes pupillary distance to make sure the lenses are properly positioned in front of your eyes) with various dimensions and often a try-on feature where you upload an image of your face to compare glasses. Plus they have good return policies.

Knowing what approximately size of frame and lens for me from the measurements inscribed in my existing glasses, I went the online route to for my last purchase. Took a couple of tries to get frames I liked but I spent less for extreme high-index lenses with anti-reflective coating and frames than I spent on the frames alone last time. And I spent less time than going out to shops to find something I like.

Comment

I'll go against the dominant thread here and say I fully and wholeheartedly recommend Warby Parker. I got glasses from them three years ago, and they've held up with practically zero degradation or damage. I haven't babied them either; I've dropped them, stepped on them, fallen on my face while wearing them (all unintentional, of course), and they've come through with nary a scratch. They also fit well and look damn stylish (acetate frames like you're talking about, OP). The only reason I'm in the market for new glasses now is because my prescription has changed, likely due to not looking more than 20 feet away from me in six months. Quarantine's fun.

My boyfriend got glasses from Zenni, and while they're new (so I can't speak to the longevity) they're sturdy and seem to be made well.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with either company, were I in your shoes.

Comment

eyebuydirect has served me very well. Since the Pandemic and working from home, I almost never wear my contacts, my 3-4 year old frames have held up very well to the rigors of day to day life.

Comment

As a lifelong glasses wearer, if it's in your budget, I can't recommend LASIK enough after 4+ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X