No announcement yet.

Maintaining Dress Shoes (Covid)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When COVID hit and I knew I would not be in the office for a while I took all my dress shoes and cleaned them, used Saphir Renovateur, polished them and then put them in shoe bags.
    Measurement Reference: 5'11" 185lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

Timely post as I just did a full cleaning on my remaining shoes yesterday. Like most people, I haven't worn a suit or dress shoes in 6 months. Throughout quarantine I did some soul searching with my dress clothes and sold/donated a dozen suits and a half dozen pairs of dress shoes. Also had my Strands and Park Aves resole'd after nearly 10 years in service. Now I'm left with 4 suits, 3 blazers, 3 pairs of dress shoes, and some odds and ends. As Marie Kondo would say, these items bring me joy and while I liked the stuff I got rid of, the stuff I have left is what I feel best in.

I decided to do a deep saddle soap clean of my boots and loafers since they were pretty rough as they don't get the regular care/attention my dress shoes would get when wearing them. Everything got a coat (or two) or Saphir Renovateur, followed by a cream polish, and the dress shoes got some wax. They're always stored with shoe trees in shoe cabinets so I haven't worried about dust or anything. In all honesty, it was nice to polish everything and great to see them all clean!! Now for an excuse to wear them again...

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
        I wonder what I should be doing with my suits as well. Most haven't been worn in 6+months. I have cedar bags in my closet but maybe should refresh them? I've worn 1 suit for maybe an hour or two for interviews and that was it. They've just been sitting.
        The primary dangers to suits over a couple of years are insects, namely moth larvae and silverfish, and mold.

Cedar oil is a decent repellant but the smell dissipates pretty quickly unless your entire closet or stage container is lined with recently sanded cedar. The best preventative measure is dry cleaning, as it's our bodily oils and skin cells which the larvae eat. The holes in wool are collateral damage. If there's nothing for the larvae to eat they don't bother with the wool. This also reduces the probability of mold growth as they need nutrients too.

Good idea to keep starches and proteins -- especially books -- out of closets to avoid creating a nice dark feeding ground for silverfish.

That said, if you seal the suits in plastic to keep out insects, adding in cedar chips can be useful. In a sealed environment the cedar oil can be retained at a high enough concentration to deter insects and retard mold growth, plus the wood will absorb moisture to keep the humidity lower than mold prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
          Timely post as I just did a full cleaning on my remaining shoes yesterday. Like most people, I haven't worn a suit or dress shoes in 6 months. Throughout quarantine I did some soul searching with my dress clothes and sold/donated a dozen suits and a half dozen pairs of dress shoes. Also had my Strands and Park Aves resole'd after nearly 10 years in service. Now I'm left with 4 suits, 3 blazers, 3 pairs of dress shoes, and some odds and ends. As Marie Kondo would say, these items bring me joy and while I liked the stuff I got rid of, the stuff I have left is what I feel best in.

I decided to do a deep saddle soap clean of my boots and loafers since they were pretty rough as they don't get the regular care/attention my dress shoes would get when wearing them. Everything got a coat (or two) or Saphir Renovateur, followed by a cream polish, and the dress shoes got some wax. They're always stored with shoe trees in shoe cabinets so I haven't worried about dust or anything. In all honesty, it was nice to polish everything and great to see them all clean!! Now for an excuse to wear them again...

solid work!

Comment

Working...
          X