Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining Dress Shoes (Covid)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Maintaining Dress Shoes (Covid)

    I was cleaning up the bedroom today and noticed all my dress shoes. And thought man I haven’t worn them since March.

    I cannot see wearing them anytime in the near soon. Their nice for me but not the likes of many here (Cole haan, etc) but I don’t want them to fall into disrepair. Is there anything I should do even though they aren’t being worn?

    brush them? Polish or any other care to avoid issues for when I need to wear them again?

    #2
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I was cleaning up the bedroom today and noticed all my dress shoes. And thought man I haven’t worn them since March.

    I cannot see wearing them anytime in the near soon.
    I feel the same way. Way too many pairs. Even my blazers and suits. I guess I'll be wearing my less formal blazers on calls at home as it gets cooler. But overall, it's not happening with the dress shoes and suits.

    Comment


      #3
      Short answer: leather conditioner to keep them from drying out, and cloth bags to keep them clean without trapping moisture (cardboard boxes will also do, but avoid plastic). Shoe trees are optional if the environmental conditions are constant.

      The only real dangers to stored shoes are UV rays, rotting due to water/humidity, and drying out. Assuming you're not keeping them in sunlight or halogen lighting, UV shouldn't be an issue. If they're getting wet from water or high humidity, you've probably got bigger issues with your home's condition. So the remaining danger is drying out, which doesn't happen quickly but does require occasionally conditioning the leather.

      Polish can be good or bad for storage depending upon ingredients. Cheaper polishes often contain turpentine or other petroleum solvents to keep the wax from solidifying, but those solvents can dry out leather. A layer of carnauba wax to seal the leather will help lock in the leather's oils.

      That said, shoe leather's an exceptionally durable material so a few months of neglect isn't going to ruin anything, assuming your bedroom isn't in the attic of an uninsulated Arizona house. Hit them with conditioner every once in a while and you should be good. Consider shoe trees if the temperature and humidity fluctuate significantly, as that could cause flexing and wrinkling.

      Comment


        #4
        I have mine in shoe bags with shoe trees in them.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by JT10000 View Post

          I feel the same way. Way too many pairs. Even my blazers and suits. I guess I'll be wearing my less formal blazers on calls at home as it gets cooler. But overall, it's not happening with the dress shoes and suits.
          I wonder what I should be doing with my suits as well. Most haven't been worn in 6+months. I have cedar bags in my closet but maybe should refresh them? I've worn 1 suit for maybe an hour or two for interviews and that was it. They've just been sitting. I wish Dappered would do a COVID maintenance article. I know they advocate wearing your nice stuff at home. But I've got a 20 month old. My t-shirts barely last an hour before getting messy and/or sweaty wrangling him. I wouldn't dare wear a suit/my nicer clothing around him for a long period of time or I'd spend more time on defense then enjoying them.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
            Short answer: leather conditioner to keep them from drying out, and cloth bags to keep them clean without trapping moisture (cardboard boxes will also do, but avoid plastic). Shoe trees are optional if the environmental conditions are constant.

            The only real dangers to stored shoes are UV rays, rotting due to water/humidity, and drying out. Assuming you're not keeping them in sunlight or halogen lighting, UV shouldn't be an issue. If they're getting wet from water or high humidity, you've probably got bigger issues with your home's condition. So the remaining danger is drying out, which doesn't happen quickly but does require occasionally conditioning the leather.

            Polish can be good or bad for storage depending upon ingredients. Cheaper polishes often contain turpentine or other petroleum solvents to keep the wax from solidifying, but those solvents can dry out leather. A layer of carnauba wax to seal the leather will help lock in the leather's oils.

            That said, shoe leather's an exceptionally durable material so a few months of neglect isn't going to ruin anything, assuming your bedroom isn't in the attic of an uninsulated Arizona house. Hit them with conditioner every once in a while and you should be good. Consider shoe trees if the temperature and humidity fluctuate significantly, as that could cause flexing and wrinkling.
            Thanks this is a lot of good advice. I don't have them in cloth bags in general since most pairs didn't come with any. I'll look to pick some of those up and check the UV light situation. I never think about it due to usually they are on in the AM and off when I get home. Thanks again.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post

              Thanks this is a lot of good advice. I don't have them in cloth bags in general since most pairs didn't come with any. I'll look to pick some of those up and check the UV light situation. I never think about it due to usually they are on in the AM and off when I get home. Thanks again.
              At $2 each, I think this is the best deal on shoe bags right now:

              https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-ca...SF1015130.html

              These seem to be better quality than the ones AE used to include with a shoe purchase. I think I've purchased about 20 sets of these now and they seem more durable than other bags I own.
              Last edited by mebejoseph; September 29, 2020, 02:06 AM.
              WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

              Comment


                #8
                Agreed. I haven't worn any of my dress shoes since March. I put them all into the shoe bags with trees in them back in May or so when I realized they wouldnt be getting use for quite a while. I will probably go through and do a full cleaning and polishing as well at some point, just to keep them in good shape for whenever I do start wearing them again.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post

                  I think this is the best deal on shoe bags right now:

                  https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoe-ca...SF1015130.html

                  These seem to be better quality than the ones AE used to include with a shoe purchase. I think I've purchased about 20 sets of these now and they seem more durable than other bags I own.
                  Thanks for this. I just ordered some. Will probably do a brushing to get all the dust off before putting them in. I appreciate the link.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I brought all of my dress shoes down stairs in the spring and took all of my dress boots upstairs. My dress shoes haven't seen the light of day, and pretty soon I'll be doing the ol' switch again. Here's hoping my boots at least see some daylight.

                    I also haven't bought ANY AE shoes since the border closed. Shipping to Canada is killer, so I had all my shoes sent to a PO box in the US and then went down to pick them up. So much for that plan. This COVID thing is really messing with my shoe obsession...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      I brought all of my dress shoes down stairs in the spring and took all of my dress boots upstairs. My dress shoes haven't seen the light of day, and pretty soon I'll be doing the ol' switch again. Here's hoping my boots at least see some daylight.

                      I also haven't bought ANY AE shoes since the border closed. Shipping to Canada is killer, so I had all my shoes sent to a PO box in the US and then went down to pick them up. So much for that plan. This COVID thing is really messing with my shoe obsession...
                      You're having issues receiving international shipments while in Canada? I figured, given current world and all, your government would be handling that better than ours (I'm American). I've had zero issues receiving international shipments. my only issues have been the US post office, and even that hasn't been bad, just a bit slower than normal. UPS, DHL, FEDEX, all normal.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post

                        You're having issues receiving international shipments while in Canada? I figured, given current world and all, your government would be handling that better than ours (I'm American). I've had zero issues receiving international shipments. my only issues have been the US post office, and even that hasn't been bad, just a bit slower than normal. UPS, DHL, FEDEX, all normal.
                        It's not shipping that's an issue, it's the fees. To avoid massive and inexplicable increases when a package crosses the US border a lot of Canadians use a package receiving service just inside the US, then cross the border ourselves to pick it up. With the border closed we can't do that, and the courier companies love to gouge on cross-border shipments.

                        As soon as it crosses the border the flat rates on domestic packages the US Postal Service offers (and couriers have to compete with) end. Something without separate shipping fees will suddenly cost another C$30-plus. If it's sent USPS then it's often handed off to Canada Post for a few extra dollars, but courier company prices increase by multiples, plus extortionate handling and documentation fees.

                        There's also the matter of taxes and duties. Border guards will often waive you and a package you're carrying through, especially if there's a lineup and the purchase isn't extravagant. Anything shipped, however, will be assessed.

                        Overall, it's much cheaper to use a US package receiving service. The one I used charged US$3.50 per package, and with automated lockers I could pick it up at any time. It's often faster too; I can recall one shipment which took a week to cover the last 20 kilometres while it crossed the border three times.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Galcobar View Post

                          Overall, it's much cheaper to use a US package receiving service. The one I used charged US$3.50 per package, and with automated lockers I could pick it up at any time. It's often faster too; I can recall one shipment which took a week to cover the last 20 kilometres while it crossed the border three times.
                          Apologies for hijacking the thread, but what package receiving service do you use? I have bought AEs on eBay from dabondo1 and in the past they never charged duties at source. That meant I would sometimes get lucky with the duties. Now they have changed that and so having something like what you mentioned would be good, for future purchases.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Galcobar View Post

                            It's not shipping that's an issue, it's the fees. To avoid massive and inexplicable increases when a package crosses the US border a lot of Canadians use a package receiving service just inside the US, then cross the border ourselves to pick it up. With the border closed we can't do that, and the courier companies love to gouge on cross-border shipments.

                            As soon as it crosses the border the flat rates on domestic packages the US Postal Service offers (and couriers have to compete with) end. Something without separate shipping fees will suddenly cost another C$30-plus. If it's sent USPS then it's often handed off to Canada Post for a few extra dollars, but courier company prices increase by multiples, plus extortionate handling and documentation fees.

                            There's also the matter of taxes and duties. Border guards will often waive you and a package you're carrying through, especially if there's a lineup and the purchase isn't extravagant. Anything shipped, however, will be assessed.

                            Overall, it's much cheaper to use a US package receiving service. The one I used charged US$3.50 per package, and with automated lockers I could pick it up at any time. It's often faster too; I can recall one shipment which took a week to cover the last 20 kilometres while it crossed the border three times.
                            ah, the things you don't know when you don't have a flappy head and beady eyes

                            seriously, i had no idea it was like that. seems ridiculous. many shipping distances between points in the US and Canada are shorter than between two cities in the US. seems pretty unfair our neighbors get gouged like that.

                            as to your customs, man, customs seems like a real pain everywhere except the US. i've had numerous international packages containing all sorts of things shipped to me, and have never had to deal with customs in any way. one time, a bottle of tequila shipped to me from Mexico disappeared, but i suspect that wasn't official policy and was instead a jerk Mexican postal agent who stole it and drank it (there was no record of it ever leaving Mexico).

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by TheManJournals View Post

                              Apologies for hijacking the thread, but what package receiving service do you use? I have bought AEs on eBay from dabondo1 and in the past they never charged duties at source. That meant I would sometimes get lucky with the duties. Now they have changed that and so having something like what you mentioned would be good, for future purchases.
                              The services tend to be small, local businesses so my recommendation would only be useful if you're using a specific border crossing. My preferred receiver is InOut Parcel (inoutparcel.com). I'm sure you could find a locker-based service convenient to you with a little looking, but I'm not sure I'd bother right now as there's a good chance said business won't survive. With how poorly-controlled the pandemic is in the US, there's little support among Canadians to re-open the border to non-essential travel. Businesses which rely on Canadian patronage are dying with no foreseeable report to normalcy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X