Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitsupply vs Spier and MacKay Overcoats

Hey all,

It has come time for me to acquire a new winter overcoat and I am having some trouble choosing. For context, I have had suits from both and loved both. This is less about which is higher quality and more about level of warmth. I live Nova Scotia in Canada and so how warm a coat can keep you is an important factor when choosing. Both Spier and MacKay and SuitSupply make items I'm interested in! From Spier and MacKay, I like the:
    https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...190-sngboc----
    https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...-801804-ploct-
    From Suit Supply I like:
    https://suitsupply.com/en-ca/men/coa...oat/J460I.html
    https://suitsupply.com/en-ca/men/coa...oat/J775I.html

Any feedback would be helpful and appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Jeremy

Suitsupply doesn’t have weights listed so you’d probably have to order it or go to a store and see it in person to get a good feel for it’s warmth.

S&M lists the weight in the description and the second option (green herringbone) is the heavier of the two so I assume it would be the warmer one. However, I wouldn’t consider a green herringbone topcoat as the most versatile item, and you may end up being pretty limited in what you can wear it with.

Personally I’d go with the charcoal option from S&M as it could be worn with just about anything and seems to still be a heavyweight coat.

Comment

I can't really help with which are warmer as I have no experience with overcoats from either brand. I live in DC where it rarely gets frigid so my overcoats tend to be on the lighter weight side. On those rare times when it gets super cold I wear my down parka over my suit. I grew up in Michigan so I know cold weather and when it gets cold enough there's really no substitute for a wind proof insulated parka IMO.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I live in Toronto and I own a charcoal coat from S&M from their last iteration. However, since the time I bought that thing, I had been driving to work. So exposure to the elements was limited. With appropriate layering these things can work provided you are not staying out for too long. As mark4 said, for longer durations of cold exposure you will be better served by a good parka.

Comment

I highly recommend the S&M! have an S&M double-breasted overcoat that weighs 560 grams and it kept me toasty during a Chicago snowstorm. The SS overcoats looks lightweight and I personally dislike the short length, which is especially problematic in frigid climates.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I will take all you have said into consideration.

Comment

It’s documented somewhere on here but it took me roughly 3 years and maybe 10-20 different overcoats to find an ideal one for me. Fits over a suit but looks good without. Nice weight and color.

S&M won for me. For the price and quality I’d highly recommend.

Comment

Hadn't looked at the pictures but those SS ones look pretty cropped for overcoats, at least based on how they look on the models. They're long enough to cover a suit jacket or sport coat, but kind of short as traditional overcoats go. I know style is eternal and trends come and go but the current trend is for longer, less fitted overcoats. A reasonably tailored roughly knee length (give or take a few inches) overcoat is pretty eternally in style...but you hike the length up to mid thigh and things can start looking a little trendy, which may mean it'll look dated depending on how the fashion pendulum swings. Right now things are definitely moving towards longer overcoats rather than cropped. Maybe the SS overcoats are a little less cropped IRL than they look in those photos but I would tread carefully with them
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X